Starbucks at MK ....

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, I don't normally place rumours out there that haven't come from my main sources. But three individuals, two of whom are generally reliable (and would have access to the info) have said that the MK's Starbucks location will be taking the place of the Plaza Restaurant.

I don't like this, if true.

Only thing worse would be losing Sid's One of a Kind Shop at Studios for one ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Damn seriously? The Plaza!? How reliable are these sources spirit?

Reliable enough for me to post ... and ask others what they've heard.
It certainly makes sense, though.

Plaza is small for full serve these days and the location is perfect for a coffee shop.

It seems Fountainview is EPCOT's Starbucks, which makes a lot of sense since it used to be a coffee bar before becoming an ice cream shop.

Worried about Studios, which could be the Writer's Stop, although I've heard that folks at TDO think it's 'too out of the way', which has me worried for Sid's.

Have no clue for DAK, but a guess would be one of the entry shops will get chopped in half and they'll shoehorn it in there. Starbucks wants high profile locales for the $$$ they are ponying up.

WDW1974

Original Poster
because Starbucks would also serve food as it does at DCA ... and there aren't many locations for one.

I could see the company battling for the Exposition Center/House/Whatever The Hell they call the old Walt Disney Story, but since that's never been food and beverage, it would require massive work. Plaza wouldn't.

Gosh, at this rate how long before Caseys becomes a Paneras? I've gotten past Starbucks having a presence in the parks but right off of Main Street? I don't know what makes me more ill, the fact that Disney is willing to do this or the fact that the current theme park going audience is willing to accept this. Sad to see the Plaza go but truth be told I haven't had a meal there in years largely because of the dining plan. Can you actually still walk up and be seated?

Cosmic Commando

I dunno... the Plaza at MK seemed to me the very definition of unremarkable food. It wasn't great; it wasn't bad. I won't miss it. If Starbucks wants to serve their breakfast food like at DCA, seems like big competition for the Main St Bakery? Or is the Bakery so busy that it just doesn't matter?

Gomer

I don't understand the sense in putting the Starbucks right next to the bakery. It seems like unnecessary competition. The bakery is currently the only place in MK that you can find decent coffee and quick service breakfast foods. So, now, you'll have two places right next store to each other? Seems to me it would either make sense to just have Starbucks take over the Bakery (not a preference admittedly) or put Starbucks back in Fantasyland where all us zombified parents pulled out of bed for the early extra morning hours find ourselves pre-morning coffee.

Just from my own personal experience, that would be a prime location for good strong coffee. Need to get that cup in me before it hit small world for the 3rd time of the morning.

Skyway

The Plaza is one of my favorite MK restaurants, probably because its one of the few that you can usually get walk-in seating.

But I've always been amazed it has stayed in business so long. It is tiny, not just by TDO standards, but real life standards, too. It may be the one of the smallest full service restaurants I've ever seen. That's got to hit the profit margin hard (not sure if they share a kitchen with another restaurant)

But I also question how successful a Starbucks would be right there. I guess you get some traffic cutting thru the Terrace to Tomorrowland. And there is lots of outdoor seating. But I would imagine most guests march up and down Main St with little thought to those "wings". Someone craving coffee probably looks for it at the bakery or ice cream shop first.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Reliable enough for me to post ... and ask others what they've heard.
It certainly makes sense, though.

Plaza is small for full serve these days and the location is perfect for a coffee shop.

It seems Fountainview is EPCOT's Starbucks, which makes a lot of sense since it used to be a coffee bar before becoming an ice cream shop.

Worried about Studios, which could be the Writer's Stop, although I've heard that folks at TDO think it's 'too out of the way', which has me worried for Sid's.

Have no clue for DAK, but a guess would be one of the entry shops will get chopped in half and they'll shoehorn it in there. Starbucks wants high profile locales for the $$$ they are ponying up.
I dont have any info to add to this, but I think your thoughts here are probably right. Fountain View, Sids and Plaza all seem very likely candidates. I have not personally seen the DL version, but I believe I read that the general feeling was that it was well implemented. Hopefully the same will be done at the WDW versions.

MasonDuo

I see this being possible for the MK. They probably figure that they are giving the MK another sit down with Be Our Guest (with more capacity) so the Plaza can be sacrificed. I'm not saying I want to see this happening but when you look at where they put the Starbucks at DCA - that was right at the end of the main stretch - the Plaza fits the build.

Honestly, I wasn't too happy with the idea of Starbucks in the parks initially, but man, I have to admit when I was able to get a good cup of coffee in DCA I was REALLY happy. Plus DH loved the iced drinks on a hot day.

JLipnick

it would make sense to have it right there in front of the parades and fireworks. plus i know a lot of people use that cut through to get to TL ( i know we do) and also right next to the bathrooms. I have been to WDW about 15 times in the last 10 years (not bad for someone who lives in MD) and we have never been to plaza. we stopped by several times but it has always been full. now i read that several posters here go to the plaza every trip as a tradition and we were going to start that tradition also, but alas. i will be in WDW from Nov 1-6 so we better get a seating before we miss our chance, assuming it doesn't close in the next three weeks.:(

Empress Room

This is an absolutely fantastic idea and hope that the rumor is true. Introducing Starbucks to each of the four theme parks makes all the sense in the world - it is modern, its quality greatly exceeds that of WDW operated coffee shops and it brings foot traffic and an enthusiastic buzz to areas of the park that are either stagnant or archaic. For those prematurely lamenting the loss of the Plaza and/or Fountainview, the former is unnecessary now that food and wine service is being plussed with the upscale Be Our Guest restaurant and the latter, although a solid ice cream venue, is just that, an ice cream venue. It can be placed anywhere else in Future World or could even take over the current coffee and croissant kiosk outside of the entry gates by the monorail station.

There is precedent for bringing in brand-name food service: Walt did it with Carnation over fifty years ago. Bravo!

wiigirl

Why would they put a coffee shop where a restaurant is? That's dumb. I hope this rumor isn't true, that would really suck:(

I don't want to take away from a resturant, but a Starbucks would be kinda cool.
75.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom