Star Wars

Maerj

C Thaddeus - The figures haven't been too buff in years. The newer ones are spot on perfect most of the time. This years' series, with the coins, has been exceptionally good. I thought one of the weakest ones was the Luke with the wind blown hair, they just didn't get that one very good. On the other hand it came with a moistier vaporator, so it thats pretty cool.

The McQuarrie figs are really cool, too bad they only ship one per case!

I had a friend pick up the new Disney/SW figs, but he has been working since he returned from his trip so I haven't gotten them yet. :(

Splashdown

Man everything good like this are all always out in LA...
Hmmm.. I gotta get out there.

Celebration II and III were in Indianapolis, so there is always a chance it could come back closer to FL. :) It’s definitely worth the effort! Whatever your interests… collecting, behind the scenes info, meeting the actors, or just meeting fellow fans, all of that and way more take place at Celebration. I actually go just to take it all in and meet like minded people. :wave:

Peaches Magee

Celebration II and III were in Indianapolis, so there is always a chance it could come back closer to FL. :) It’s definitely worth the effort! Whatever your interests… collecting, behind the scenes info, meeting the actors, or just meeting fellow fans, all of that and way more take place at Celebration. I actually go just to take it all in and meet like minded people. :wave:

Ah, interesting, my sister lives in Indy.
Though she would NEVVVVER go with me to that! haha
And I think I would go for the same reasons as yours.
Sounds like a blasty.
:sohappy:

Splashdown

I’m confident that there will be an update to Star Tours in the near future (again George Lucas said it himself at Celebration III, and Rick McCallum brought it up again at Celebration Europe in London this last July).

I was just down at the World for Halloween. I don’t want to start any rumors, but while I was there, a “Full Time” CM at the 50’s Prime Time café, and two separate Bus Drivers mentioned they have heard of talk to give Star Wars a more permanent presence in MGM / Hollywood Studios. Specifically talk of revamping the Indy Stunt Show with a Star Wars theme.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this?

Peaches Magee

:shrug:
I’m confident that there will be an update to Star Tours in the near future (again George Lucas said it himself at Celebration III, and Rick McCallum brought it up again at Celebration Europe in London this last July).

I was just down at the World for Halloween. I don’t want to start any rumors, but while I was there, a “Full Time” CM at the 50’s Prime Time café, and two separate Bus Drivers mentioned they have heard of talk to give Star Wars a more permanent presence in MGM / Hollywood Studios. Specifically talk of revamping the Indy Stunt Show with a Star Wars theme.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this?

Wow those are some interesting rumors...
Changing the Indy show to a Star Wars? I mean I love SW, but I love Indy as well... but guess they gotta keep things fresh?

We are taking the little one on Star Tours in a couple weeks for the first time... he hasn't been to MGM... or DHS... sorry... since he was one year old. So now we describe what is there and he just refers to it affectionatley as "The Star Wars Park"
:)

Green Lantern

Peaches, you said you went to comic book conventions. Do you read comics? Never be ashamed to be a Geek. I am one and am proud of it. It's the Geeks who create the best entertainment: books, movies, comic books, cartoons. Without us, there would be nothing good to watch!

I remember the first time I was at MGM was the summer of 1989. Star Tours was being built and not even open. There was this little stand that had a model of what it was going to look like and I took a picture of it. Still have it actually. 2 years later I went back and experienced Star Tours for the very firs time and have loved it ever since.

I would be upset to see Indy leave the park. Being a Star Wars fan I'm also a huge Indy fan (what can I say, I love Lucas' stuff!). Now, if they were going to get rid of the Indy stunt show to put in the Indy ride, that would be a different story!

And speaking of Star Wars and Indy, in the comic Star Wars Tales issue #19, Dr. Jones actually met Han Solo. It was a pretty cool cross over and if it even sounds remotely interesting I recommend either buying the issue or getting the trade. The trade has a picture of Han on it (if I remember correctly) and is I think trade #3.

Does anyone buy the Star Wars pins? I have most of them, though I am trying to be good and stick to certain ones. Any Star Tours ones I get, the logo pins for Star Wars Weekends, and ones based off the Original Trilogy.

Peaches Magee

Peaches, you said you went to comic book conventions. Do you read comics? Never be ashamed to be a Geek. I am one and am proud of it. It's the Geeks who create the best entertainment: books, movies, comic books, cartoons. Without us, there would be nothing good to watch!

I remember the first time I was at MGM was the summer of 1989. Star Tours was being built and not even open. There was this little stand that had a model of what it was going to look like and I took a picture of it. Still have it actually. 2 years later I went back and experienced Star Tours for the very firs time and have loved it ever since.

I would be upset to see Indy leave the park. Being a Star Wars fan I'm also a huge Indy fan (what can I say, I love Lucas' stuff!). Now, if they were going to get rid of the Indy stunt show to put in the Indy ride, that would be a different story!

And speaking of Star Wars and Indy, in the comic Star Wars Tales issue #19, Dr. Jones actually met Han Solo. It was a pretty cool cross over and if it even sounds remotely interesting I recommend either buying the issue or getting the trade. The trade has a picture of Han on it (if I remember correctly) and is I think trade #3.

Does anyone buy the Star Wars pins? I have most of them, though I am trying to be good and stick to certain ones. Any Star Tours ones I get, the logo pins for Star Wars Weekends, and ones based off the Original Trilogy.

Oh yes sir... certainly a comic book geek as well. All kinds of genres of it too. I didn't get completely into the Star Wars ones though, strange as it may sound.. hehe
I love the art of comics. I am a true artsy girl... so I kinda fall right into all the geek categories at times. And I love drawing in a comic style as well.
I am not ashamed I would say... just only a small bit of my friends I grew up with liked the same as me, and now as I get older I am finding more and more like-minded people... and I really dig that :)

Ohhh find the model pic and scan it! Would be very cool to see. Yeah I hope Indy never leaves completely... I can't see that happening though, especially with the new movie coming out and everything. Ah, the Indy ride in DL I heard is amazing! I would take that too.

I want to start collecting the SW pins too. I am not yet evolved into a pin trader or collector... but I would collect those. :animwink:

Green Lantern

That's a good point, Peaches. With the new Indy film due in only a few months, they'd be crazy to lose that attraction.

I have the pic, I just need to see about getting it scanned. I don't own a scanner, but I will see what I can do.

Star Wars comic wise, the Marvel issues (107 of them, plus adaptions of A New Hope and Return of the Jedi, Empire is part of the 107 issues, and about 3 annuals) have been collected into 7 really beautiful trade paper backs by Dark Horse comics, who put out the new issues. If you want to read some good SW comics, the trade for Adventure of Tag and Bink are excellent (basically the story of SW is told through the eyes of 2 background characters and is an extremely fun read and beautiful art), Star Wars Infinities, 3 trades, one each for EP 4-6 and tells a "What If?" kind of story that takes the films we know into different directions (example: what if Luke didn't blow up the Death Star).

What comics do you read?

The pins are really nice, though, like everything else Star Wars wise collectibles, can be addicting. Star Tours has such nice items to buy. Every time we go down there, I don't buy a thing for myself until we get to Star Tours, then I go crazy!

Remember when Star Tours first opened and the store, now Tatooine Traders, was originally called Endor Vedors?

mighty mouse

Where abouts? I'm a NOLA native, born and raised. I lived in Metairie, near Vets and Oaklawn if you know where that's at. That Star Wars line I mentioned earlier was at the Palace Theater in Elmwood back in '99. I miss the old Palace sometimes. I relocated to Houston after Katrina.

Vets and Oaklawn...I know where yat. The Palace 20 is still there (great theater). I live on the WestBank.

Empress Lilly....where did you get the jedi smilies?(those are too cool) and could you post the link? Please.

Peaches Magee

That's a good point, Peaches. With the new Indy film due in only a few months, they'd be crazy to lose that attraction.

I have the pic, I just need to see about getting it scanned. I don't own a scanner, but I will see what I can do.

Star Wars comic wise, the Marvel issues (107 of them, plus adaptions of A New Hope and Return of the Jedi, Empire is part of the 107 issues, and about 3 annuals) have been collected into 7 really beautiful trade paper backs by Dark Horse comics, who put out the new issues. If you want to read some good SW comics, the trade for Adventure of Tag and Bink are excellent (basically the story of SW is told through the eyes of 2 background characters and is an extremely fun read and beautiful art), Star Wars Infinities, 3 trades, one each for EP 4-6 and tells a "What If?" kind of story that takes the films we know into different directions (example: what if Luke didn't blow up the Death Star).

What comics do you read?

The pins are really nice, though, like everything else Star Wars wise collectibles, can be addicting. Star Tours has such nice items to buy. Every time we go down there, I don't buy a thing for myself until we get to Star Tours, then I go crazy!

Remember when Star Tours first opened and the store, now Tatooine Traders, was originally called Endor Vedors?

Wow, well you have intrigued me into getting those... I love Dark Horse and have been looking into alot of their stuff on myspace and stuff. They have a great roster.
I read.. the typical... Batman, Superman, X-Men, Hellboy, Spawn, Danger Girl. And also love the dark ones... 30 Days of Night, Umbrella Academy, The Walking Dead, Sin City... a few more but can't recall them all... I do love me some vamp, zombies and avant-garde darkness :)

When I go I am gonna check out the pins, I WANT the big Jedi Mickey soooo bad. Hmmm...

CThaddeus

Well, okay, since you all asked so nicely:

I can still recall the first Star Wars action figure I bought - Ben Kenobi with the blue lightsaber that came out of his hand and the vinyl cloak.
I have many Boba Fetts, Anakin Skywalkers (old), and weapon sets that were availble only by mail by sending in so many proofs-of-purchase. I was always insanely giddy to get those in the mail, and since they never put a limit on how many you could get, I did it often.
Yes, I have the Christmas album, as well as the cool Meco disco versions of "Star Wars" songs.
I have tons of videos of various shows about "Star Wars" that have appeared on TV since the late '70s, including "The Making of Star Wars," "The Making of Empire Strikes Back," and "Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi."
I have a supposedly rare "Revenge of the Jedi" patch I got from the fan club before the film opened.
If I hadn't moved to Southern California to be near Disneyland, I most likely would have moved near Skywalker Ranch to try to work at ILM. Perhaps I should have. My career with Disney never happened; maybe one with ILM would have.
When I was younger, I made numerous stop-motion videos featuring the action figures, the Rancor Monster, AT-ATs, the Wampa, Tauntauns, Speeder Bikes, etc.
I still read the novels whenever I find a new one...though I've fallen a little behind lately. I just finished "The New Jedi Order: Star By Star," a 2001 book, but I somehow missed it along the way.
I wrote many short stories when I was younger using the "Star Wars" characters, especially ones revolving around the idea that the Emperor wasn't killed at the end of "Jedi." No one so strong with the Dark Side could have been destroyed so easily...
I'm not a huge pin collector now, but I bought many in the '70s, '80s, and '90s. I still use the Star Tours logo pin I bought in 1987 as a tie tack.
During my tenure as a Star Tours CM, I developed my own spiel both in the loading area and before the Starspeeder was launched. I made sure to include references Star Wars geeks would enjoy.
I do have a few comic books. I bought them back in the '70s, but I didn't really keep up on that. I've never been a big comic book reader for some reason (though I love comic book character movies and TV shows!).
I also don't go to conventions. I went to a "Star Trek" (I love that, too) one in the late '90s and found the experience lacking for some reason. I haven't gone to one since. I should probably give it another shot someday... especially since I'm close to the LA ones and Comicon.

Why do I keep hearing Yoda saying, "Never his mind on where he was...what he was doing?" I've always wanted to be "in a galaxy far, far away..."

Hrudey3032

Ah, interesting, my sister lives in Indy.
Though she would NEVVVVER go with me to that! haha
And I think I would go for the same reasons as yours.
Sounds like a blasty.
:sohappy:

Indy native here!!! Celebration 2 I attended and it was ok as I was hoping for more for the fact they didn't have things set up as well as it could've been so I bypassed #3 for the Colts draft party next door at the RCA Dome.My bro went for both of us and wore his Smith 13 hockey jersey and covered up the M and made it Sith 13 so needless to say he got many compliments on that while I was hanging with the Colts cheerleaders and getting game used Colts gear:sohappy: hey that was worth it right?? :lookaroun

julwh

I have amassed quite a collection over the years - I love the old pinback buttons too. I am really glad that Disney produces so many to feed my need!

julwh

I also don't go to conventions. I went to a "Star Trek" (I love that, too) one in the late '90s and found the experience lacking for some reason. I haven't gone to one since. I should probably give it another shot someday... especially since I'm close to the LA ones and Comicon.

I think Star Wars people get a bad rap due to Star Trek. My hub is a trekkie so I have been to a couple of Trek conventions - let me just say that there is NO COMPARISON between ST and SW! Star Wars is first class all the way when it comes to conventions - in presentation, events, vendors, etc. ST is much more cheesy and strange. No offense to anyone, just my opinion based on experience.

ComicCon is a MUST - that is the ultimate fanboy/fangirl event!! You have to go at least once - anything comic, pop culture, etc that you can imagine is there!

Peaches Magee

I think Star Wars people get a bad rap due to Star Trek. My hub is a trekkie so I have been to a couple of Trek conventions - let me just say that there is NO COMPARISON between ST and SW! Star Wars is first class all the way when it comes to conventions - in presentation, events, vendors, etc. ST is much more cheesy and strange. No offense to anyone, just my opinion based on experience.

ComicCon is a MUST - that is the ultimate fanboy/fangirl event!! You have to go at least once - anything comic, pop culture, etc that you can imagine is there!

Agreed... Trekkies kinda scare me actually...:lookaroun

And yes.. I am dying to hit up ComicCon... ahhh someday.

Green Lantern

Good list of comics, Peaches. You said you read Batman. Are you reading Paul Dini's run on Detective Comics?

Monthly I read: Fables, Jack of Fables, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps( Green Lantern and the Corps are pretty cool, they are sort of like Jedi's in a way) and Invincible. And when they come out I get the Disney Haunted Mansion and Gargoyles comic. I recommed Fables and Jack of Fables. They are Vertigo books. Basically, the fairy tale characters we know and love are living in modern day NY among us. They were driven out of their homelands by a Fable who went bad, though you won't find out until about issue #50. It is really one of the best comics out there. I highly recommend it.

Dark Horse is a great comic company. Their Star Wars comics have been going on since the 90's when they re-printed the old newspaper strips (I had a letter published in their comic!). The Tag and Big books are just great, real classic story telling, lots of fun. The Infinities books are great as well.

CThaddeus, you sound like a clone of me!

The Star Wars pins are great. Originally I only collected those, but the pin bug bit me so I collect a few others (basically Quasimodo, any Disney dragons, Nightmare Before Christmas, Ichabod and the headless horseman, Indiana Jones when they have any, and the Muppets).

I bought the Star Tours action figures that were exclusive to the park a while back. Always nice to get some more R2 units to add to your collection.

I've been to a bunch of conventions, comic book (still waiting to get to Comiccon), a few horror movie conventions, a few movie ones, some Star Trek (I am not a Trekkie but my friend is so I would tag along. I did find some cool Star Wars toys at it though) and a Star Wars one here in NJ called Empire Fest a few years back. Jan Durrsema was there. She draws the Star Wars comic Legacy. She also made the character Aayla Secura with John Ostrander in the comics, which Lucas liked so much he added her to his films (blue Jedi Twi'lek) and Quinlan Vos (a background guy from Ep 1 and also mentioned in Ep 3). I had her do a nice sketch of Vos for me. She is an amazing comic artist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom