Star Wars Weekends returns to Disney's Hollywood Studios for 2015

Tigger1988

Good. nothing is better than cosplay. That's not what I pay for at a Disney theme park
You're in the wrong place then. All the characters are pretty much cosplay, face characters especially.

Considering the amount of money, detail and work that does into getting a costume approved by 501st I'm not seeing the issue beyond some sour grapes you seem to have about them in every post regarding SWW.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
also worth noting, 501st does not take payment for their appearances, only that the location donate to the charities in the 501sts' name. so lay of these guys really are 'Bad guys doing good' http://www.501st.com/
for example...

w1rjnYV.jpg

1pjRUpW.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The 501st is a group of fans who are invited to take part in a big festival (SWW). This type of entertainment is similar to the high schools bands who march down Main Street and choirs who sing in Candlelight. They are not taking away shifts from Cast Members. If they weren't in the parade, no one would replace them.

And the 501'st adds an energy to the SWW and I highly doubt the emperor is a 501st member as the 501st tends to SW universe canon basically storm troopers, officers and TIE pilots. DBIL is a member of local garrison and is trying to get me to do the imperial officer bit.

asianway

And the 501'st adds an energy to the SWW and I highly doubt the emperor is a 501st member as the 501st tends to SW universe canon basically storm troopers, officers and TIE pilots. DBIL is a member of local garrison and is trying to get me to do the imperial officer bit.
The central Florida Garrison has a few named characters, mon Mothma coming to mind and a few well done aliens.

I'm not saying their charitable efforts are not a good thing, or that SOME of the costumes arent great. It's pure brand, you need to take the emotion out of it. Hoopla was fun and all but it didn't fit either

John Fowler

I read that Freddie's had some health issues - I hope he overcomes them in time to make the event.

BTW, I like your avatar. Harold Ramis' death still hurts...

Hey thanks! Harold Ramis has been in some of my all time favorite movies. Yeah I hope he does overcome them too. The guy is a pretty cool dude from all the interviews I have listened to. He has a passion for the Star Wars product that is undeniable plus Freddie basically played himself in my favorite TV show of all time, Psych.

TB4244

I have to say that as a member of the 501st myself that whilst what we do could be regarded as cosplay, the standards we attain are far superior to your average convention goer. The costs run into hundreds if not thousands of pounds(or Dollars, Euros, Yen etc. The 501st is a worldwide organisation) for a set of armour, and are always completely movie accurate. We do not get paid for our appearances at events, the money we receive goes straight to our chosen charities such as Make A Wish, children's hospitals or other very worthy recipients.
I have been a part of many, many events myself but those that stick out most are those that tug the heart strings, like a Christmas party for a children's hospice. We attended in full knowledge that most of the children there would not survive to see another christmas. Its a good job that most of wear helmets as we all had tears running down our faces by the time we finished. The smiles we put on their faces made the day a worthwhile one.
So please understand that if you do see us out and about we are there for a very good reason, to entertain the crowds, but more importantly to raise money for those that need it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have to say that as a member of the 501st myself that whilst what we do could be regarded as cosplay, the standards we attain are far superior to your average convention goer. The costs run into hundreds if not thousands of pounds(or Dollars, Euros, Yen etc. The 501st is a worldwide organisation) for a set of armour, and are always completely movie accurate. We do not get paid for our appearances at events, the money we receive goes straight to our chosen charities such as Make A Wish, children's hospitals or other very worthy recipients.
I have been a part of many, many events myself but those that stick out most are those that tug the heart strings, like a Christmas party for a children's hospice. We attended in full knowledge that most of the children there would not survive to see another christmas. Its a good job that most of wear helmets as we all had tears running down our faces by the time we finished. The smiles we put on their faces made the day a worthwhile one.
So please understand that if you do see us out and about we are there for a very good reason, to entertain the crowds, but more importantly to raise money for those that need it.

Thank you for your efforts you guys really do make a difference even though some here do not understand.

John Fowler

You guys and the Rebel guys do awesome work! I will be glad to see you guys at every SWW!

tribbleorlfl

Never underestimate the 501st.

People have been working on the armor since the first view of the helmet.
Trust me, I NEVER underestimate the 501st, reason I'm finally hunkering down and working on a Kashyyk Scout Trooper set to finally join the group.

My point is, unlike the bucket, the armor itself hasn't been fully seen yet. A quick shoulder shot from the trailer, a few spy shots of the boots and a grainy piece of concept artwork are not enough to establish the costuming standards. They're requiring me to modify a particular British military jumpsuit no longer made (and have yet to find in my size) in order to get my set approved, so I seriously doubt they'd let someone role with an OT ST armor and TFA ST helmet.

dstrawn9889

looking to begin a set of cloaks for and helmet for the Royal Guards ROTJ style... got to be accurate for the movie specified before admission and issuance of ID number

TB4244

Trust me, I NEVER underestimate the 501st, reason I'm finally hunkering down and working on a Kashyyk Scout Trooper set to finally join the group.

My point is, unlike the bucket, the armor itself hasn't been fully seen yet. A quick shoulder shot from the trailer, a few spy shots of the boots and a grainy piece of concept artwork are not enough to establish the costuming standards. They're requiring me to modify a particular British military jumpsuit no longer made (and have yet to find in my size) in order to get my set approved, so I seriously doubt they'd let someone role with an OT ST armor and TFA ST helmet.
No that wouldn't be allowed. As I pointed out the armour has to be completely accurate, second best isn't good enough for the 501st.
Oh and welcome aboard trooper :)

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
for example...

w1rjnYV.jpg

1pjRUpW.jpg

The Lurie Children's hospital is truly an amazing place It's a hospital built entirely for children on a kids scale, I was there commissioning some of the IP Telephony systems so they would be absolutely perfect when the kids moved in.

One of the more amazing things is an illuminated star map which when kid height buttons are pressed shows the kids where the constellations are relative to their position and the stars in the constellation light up.

This picture is priceless, Yes I AM a sentimental sap.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

And I am glad for all your time and effort - you guys do an amazing job! Wouldn't be SWW without the 501st.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom