Star Wars Weekends returns to Disney's Hollywood Studios for 2015

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I think they might be teasing it. But if you're expecting details from the new movie? I sincerely doubt it. That would be 2016.

They've already released the first trailer, so maybe there will be some info on The Force Awakens.

Kman101

There's no way they ignore the movie next year though. It's being released in December. May/June is six/seven months before. But, personally, I wouldn't go into it *expecting* much. Who knows though? Maybe a trailer (which might even be stretching it), some banners ... I mean, they released a basic teaser 13 months ahead of time. There's going to be a push for the movie.

Kman101

Isn't filming of the movie pretty much complete? I agree to not expect full on spoilers, and we'd be lucky to get a tease at best, but this is Disney. They're going to push the movie if they can.

John Fowler

Filming is done and wrapped. Never underestimate the power and resiliency of the 501st. I said it before I don't expect much in terms of The Force Awakens at SWW2015. Now Celebration Anaheim is where I expect a bunch of TFA stuff.

LAKid53

Premium Member
There's no way they ignore the movie next year though. It's being released in December. May/June is six/seven months before. But, personally, I wouldn't go into it *expecting* much. Who knows though? Maybe a trailer (which might even be stretching it), some banners ... I mean, they released a basic teaser 13 months ahead of time. There's going to be a push for the movie.

Especially if there is a presence at Comic Con in July.

Kman101

And there's no way May 4th gets ignored (not saying by Disney but considering that's the original date of when the photo of the cast reading the script was supposed to come out this year). I'd expect a trailer for sure on that day, if I were running things SW related. But I'm not, lol, so we'll see what happens.

Piebald

Hopefully the leak about SPOILER

Lukes severed hand being in the film is not true. Although it'd make for a cheap photo op.

Sparky359621

And there's no way May 4th gets ignored (not saying by Disney but considering that's the original date of when the photo of the cast reading the script was supposed to come out this year). I'd expect a trailer for sure on that day, if I were running things SW related. But I'm not, lol, so we'll see what happens.
The next trailer is expected to be released with Avengers: Age of Ultron. Which comes out May 1.

LAKid53

Premium Member

If I were running all things SW related at Disney, The Force Awakens would be released on May 4th, not December. And have the world premiere at Hollywood Studios.

NMBC1993

If I were running all things SW related at Disney, The Force Awakens would be released on May 4th, not December. And have the world premiere at Hollywood Studios.

Ah, but then you run into the problem of conflicting films fighting each other at the box office. It would not be smart to put out Episode VII three days after Age of Ultron, look at how the big summer films from other studios already have to fight with each other to stay in the Top 5. No, I think December is the perfect time to release Star Wars. With the Hobbit series ending this year, there is no big holiday franchise to stop Star Wars from raking in boatloads of money by staying in the top 5 for a few months....that's what Avatar did.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Ah, but then you run into the problem of conflicting films fighting each other at the box office. It would not be smart to put out Episode VII three days after Age of Ultron, look at how the big summer films from other studios already have to fight with each other to stay in the Top 5. No, I think December is the perfect time to release Star Wars. With the Hobbit series ending this year, there is no big holiday franchise to stop Star Wars from raking in boatloads of money by staying in the top 5 for a few months....that's what Avatar did.

Somehow I think The Force Awakens will beat the pants off any other film released around that time.... It's been too long, the fan base is too big and we all want to see if JJ has the same magic with SW as he did with his reboot of Star Trek.

I remember those long lines wrapped around the movie theatre for the 3 original films - I was in them. And will have my posterior parked in a seat for the midnight (or earlier) showing.

Magenta Panther

I can't say for a 100% certainty but I do know pretty much all of the Rebels voice cast will be there. That includes Freddie Prinze Jr. I am looking forward to this year's SW since its hot on the tail of season 1 of Rebels and the half way mark to The Force Awakens. Do I think there will be a ton of Force Awakens stuff? Maybe, I wouldn't say an overwhelming part of it though.

I read that Freddie's had some health issues - I hope he overcomes them in time to make the event.

BTW, I like your avatar. Harold Ramis' death still hurts...

NMBC1993

Somehow I think The Force Awakens will beat the pants off any other film released around that time.... It's been too long, the fan base is too big and we all want to see if JJ has the same magic with SW as he did with his reboot of Star Trek.

I remember those long lines wrapped around the movie theatre for the 3 original films - I was in them. And will have my posterior parked in a seat for the midnight (or earlier) showing.

I agree with you that the film will make money, it's Star Wars. But doesn't it make more sense to release a film when there will be the least amount of competition (especially when four of those competitive films just happen to be from the same company who is distributing Episode VII)? Here, let me use an example.

Summer 2015 Movie Releases -

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Pitch Perfect 2
Tomorrowland
Insidious: Chapter 3
Jurassic World
Inside Out
Ted 2
Terminator: Genisys
Magic Mike: XXL
Minions
Ant-Man
Pan
Point Break Re-Make

Holiday 2015 Movie Releases -

Star Wars Episode VII
Hunger Games Part 2
Peanuts
Kung Fu Panda 3
Mission Impossible V

Do you see where I'm coming from? There is very little competition during the holiday season this upcoming year compared to the summer. Also, lets not forget Star Wars still has the stench of the prequels hovering over it. It's not like a Marvel film where it's had several successful films recently to back it up. As far as JJ goes, I know several hard core Star Trek fans who hated Into Darkness because it lazily took quotes and memorable scenes from the franchise and shoehorned them into what was suppose to be a "re-imagining" of the series.

Finally, did you notice you said there were lines wrapped around the theater for "the three original films"? Funny how you don't include the later three films. It sounds to me like your one of those hard core Star Wars fans who would go see anything related to the series because it has "Star Wars" in the title. That doesn't mean the rest of the world is the same way, especially during the cut-throat time frame of the summer movie season. Again, all I'm trying to point out is it makes more sense to release Star Wars when it has the opportunity to make the most money (which is all Disney really cares about).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom