Star Wars Virtual Reality Experience Coming to Downtown Disney

TP2000

Lol ya but we all know that that is a rare occurrence. I see you more as someone who probably sticks to steaks, scotch and artichokes.

That is so true it's scary. My college aged nephews got me an Easter basket this year that their mom purchased at a swanky grocery store, it was an Easter basket full of several very good steaks and huge artichokes and a fifth of good Scotch. It was the best Easter ever.

As for Downtown Disney, it always amazes me how Disney does these press releases that announce something but don't really say what it is. This one didn't even say where in this relatively small shopping center this thing will be located. There are so many descriptive words in this sentence from today's official press release, and yet it really says nothing...

"Beginning this holiday season, Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire will transport you to a galaxy far, far away where you’ll be able to engage with friends, family and Star Wars characters through sight, sound, touch, smell, and motion. It’ll even allow environmental effects to be felt using Haptic feedback – melding the physical and digital worlds together."

So what is it? A video game? Laser tag? Speed Dating? I don't even know. o_O

Then they describe the contracted company doing this thing for WDI, called The Void, thusly...
"...an entertainment company that combines the magic of illusions and advanced technology to create immersive social experiences that take visitors to new worlds."

Um, okay. So it's probably not Speed Dating, but I'm still confused.

What the heck is this thing and where will it be built?!? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

Original Poster
What they should do in addition is create some VR experiences for past attractions that have been shut down and even take it a step further...maybe some teasers of attractions in the foreign parks.

Disney Quest was sort of like that. They had virtual Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain etc. They never updated it though and it recently closed.

mickEblu

That is so true it's scary. My college aged nephews got me an Easter basket this year that their mom purchased at a swanky grocery store, it was an Easter basket full of several very good steaks and huge artichokes and a fifth of good Scotch. It was the best Easter ever.

As for Downtown Disney, it always amazes me how Disney does these press releases that announce something but don't really say what it is. This one didn't even say where in this relatively small shopping center this thing will be located. There are so many descriptive words in this sentence from today's official press release, and yet it really says nothing...

"Beginning this holiday season, Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire will transport you to a galaxy far, far away where you’ll be able to engage with friends, family and Star Wars characters through sight, sound, touch, smell, and motion. It’ll even allow environmental effects to be felt using Haptic feedback – melding the physical and digital worlds together."

Then they describe the contracted company doing this thing for WDI, called The Void, thusly...
"...an entertainment company that combines the magic of illusions and advanced technology to create immersive social experiences that take visitors to new worlds."

LOL...

As far as the plans for DTD it's probably a Mixture of all of the above, except for the speed dating. Whatever it is, it sounds better than building a bear. Lol. My guess is that's where it's going. Where else could it go?

Curious Constance

How in the hell do you get college aged men to purchase Easter baskets for their uncles?!

jmuboy

I think bowling and this VR experience are the perfect non theme park diversions to round out the entertainment options at DTD. I still think a new home for Build a Bear and a west coast version of Disney Springs marketplace co-op are needed

NobodyElse

Downtown Disney related... A few days ago after riding the Rivers of America attractions, I drove over to GardenWalk and went to House of Blues to try their Happy Hour. I walked in at 4pm and was the only person there. I sat at the bar and had a beer and some sliders and chatted with the personable bartender and a hostess for one hour. Just me. At 5pm as I switched to Dr. Pepper, an older German tourist couple wandered in and ordered a drink. We chatted a bit, nice couple, then I left at 5:30pm and the Germans were the only people there while a country-western band played to the cavernous empty room.

I sat on the corner stool facing the bar, the Germans sat next to me on the corner, and the bar remained this empty for two hours. There were two giant dining rooms behind this bar ready to seat hundreds of diners, all empty and abandoned except for the country-western band playing to no one.
8.jpg

Very sad to see House of Blues die on the vine like that at GardenWalk, after they spent a fortune to fix the place up into their national flagship location. When they were at Downtown Disney, the place always had a crowd of diners at any hour of the day.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I might actually stop by for a drink / snack soon as well. It'll be a good opportunity to hopefully check out the various performance rooms they have. (Sounds like I wouldn't be bothering anybody by snooping around.)

Unfortunately for them, Gardenwalk is still a chicken & egg situation. The mall won't get crowded until there are many more places to go. Many places won't move in because there are no crowds. Rinse, repeat.

I'm sure HOB will do fine when they host concerts, which will hopefully encourage other tenants. Live Nation has the ability to book the acts to do the trick. I know it takes all kinds, but looking at their August schedule, nothing is going to draw me in. September has "Stiff Little Fingers" and "Missing Persons" for some punk / new wave nostalgia, and Santana appears to be sold out.

Perhaps I'll go see Paul Weller in October and see how things go.

TP2000

For those confused by what this will be like, imagine laser tag with a VR set attached to you...

Thank you! The second video in particular sums it up and explains it well.

It's hilarious yet sad that with all the fancy words Disney used in their Parks Blog press release, they couldn't explain what this thing is. But that video explanation was very helpful.

So it's Laser Tag with a VR headset and high end interactive technology. Got it. It also explains to me (yet again) that the people in Disney's communications department are bad at communicating. :rolleyes:

The Void's Ghostbusters offering they did by teaming up with Warner Brothers was $50 a pop. I wonder what the price will be for a Star Wars version in Downtown Disney? More than $50? And this also looks like it has a very, very low hourly capacity of maybe just a few dozen people. Yikes.

Last edited:

TP2000

At Disney Springs this is going in to a former toy shop retail location.

Might this just go into the old Build-A-Bear space for Christmas and then it closes to become a restaurant? Or is this a long term thing that lasts for years? I got the sense that this is a temporary thing.

If it sticks around, when Star Wars Land opens it will seem hokey.

thepirateking

I bought one of those VR mask thingies...used it once, just about hurled and immediately took it back.

High-end VR (which today only includes the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift - they track your head position) is impressive. I've yet to see anyone try it who wasn't blown away (from 4-70). Hopefully you're talking about one of those cheap things you put your phone into.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom