Star Wars Virtual Reality Experience Coming to Downtown Disney

Curious Constance

Tickets are on sale now.

$29.95 for a 30 minute experience.

From MousePlanet:

A galaxy far, far away needs your help. In teams of four, be transported with family and friends in a brand new hyper-reality experience from Lucasfilm, ILMxLAB and The VOID. Under the orders of the budding rebellion, your team will travel to the molten planet of Mustafar. Your mission is to recover Imperial intelligence vital to the rebellion's survival. Alongside the pragmatic droid K-2S0, your team must navigate through an enemy facility walking into danger at every turn. Disguised as stormtroopers, grab your blaster, solve puzzles, and fight giant lava monsters in an effort to fulfill your team's orders.

The 30-minute experience costs $29.95, plus a payment processing fee of $2.85. Tickets are available online. No discounts are currently offered to annual passholders or Disney cast members.

Vault 28 and Fossil closed last month to make room for "Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire." Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.

The experience has a minimum height requirement of 48 inches, and The Void recommends that participants be at least 10 years or older, "due to the weight of the gear and some intense content." Participants under age 18 must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver.

At press time, tickets were available through March 6, 2018. The first three days have already sold out, and most weekend spots are filled for the dates already released. Disney has not said how long the experience will remain open on either coast.

D.Silentu

Likewise. For what it's worth I emailed The Void to see if they are considering extending the run beyond March. As one might expect, I got the standard "we'll see" company line.

Darkbeer1

I know, Disney and Star Wars, but GardenWalk already has "Go VR Gaming". And those who want a real life experience, Mission Escape Games is a fun, wild team experience

And Knott's has inside its Theme Park has VR Showdown in Ghost Town, exclusively made for the Park.

So, for my wallet, I will skip the DtD version.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If there is no integration with a physical environment (seems like the Knotts one is stay in a single box)... bleh. Just an amp'd FPS game.

WDWtraveler

The Void at Marketplace Disney Springs was open today for invited guests only. Cast members state the official opening for both venues at Disney Springs and Downtown Disney at Disneyland will be December 16, the day after the new Star Wars movie opens.

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

D.Silentu

Cast members state the official opening for both venues at Disney Springs and Downtown Disney at Disneyland will be December 16, the day after the new Star Wars movie opens.

Puzzling, the website starts selling tickets for Anaheim the first week of January.

D

Deleted member 107043

Early reviews of The Void are trickling in and so far everything I've seen has been positive.

From TechCrunch:

"Where The Void remains ahead of their competition is in how it approaches experiences as co-op missions where multiple friends can endure the challenge together. This is obviously very much in keeping with Disney’s mission, but it also solves a key issue with VR — explaining what the heck you just experienced when you take the headset off. By making it a shared adventure where you can chat with your buddy or sibling or parents, it further cements the realness of what you all just went through in a way that going solo just can’t."

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/20/i...-the-empire-virtual-reality-finds-a-new-hope/

Sounds fun!

dweezil78

So are these going to be permanent locations for The Void or are they temporary? I've been following the company for a while now and it would be pretty amazing if these were permanent spots that were always rotating in new experiences.

D

Deleted member 107043

So are these going to be permanent locations for The Void or are they temporary? I've been following the company for a while now and it would be pretty amazing if these were permanent spots that were always rotating in new experiences.

Sounds like they are permanent. According to Rolling Stone Disneyland's will open next week with more locations opening in 2018.

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/star-wars-the-force-is-strong-with-the-void-w514627

dweezil78

If there is no integration with a physical environment (seems like the Knotts one is stay in a single box)... bleh. Just an amp'd FPS game.

Been hearing amazing things about The Void for about two years now. There is definitely interaction w/ physical environment. You can see the work they did for Ghostbusters here:

I'd imagine this will be similar on a much larger scale/budget!

westie

I almost bought tickets for next week then I read its done in groups of 4. I'd prefer its just me and the mrs. because if some 8 year old fanboy starts yelling at me and someones mom, dad, sister, brother is falling on the ground...well I just may have to turn to the dark side.

Magic Feather

I almost bought tickets for next week then I read its done in groups of 4. I'd prefer its just me and the mrs. because if some 8 year old fanboy starts yelling at me and someones mom, dad, sister, brother is falling on the ground...well I just may have to turn to the dark side.
Well, you can shoot other people you are with (have done so myself). I honestly wouldn't worry too much about your group, especially considering the magnitude of the experience.

TP2000

I have news. My youngest nephew made an appointment a couple weeks ago to do this Void thing on Saturday before he heads back up to Stanford on Sunday for the new semester. I have just been invited to be the fourth person, not because I am the hip old uncle, but because he knows I'm a rather good marksman but probably will still make people laugh. I vaguely remember the last video game I played being Frogger on an Atari around 1982. Or maybe it was Asteroids? This should be entertaining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom