Star Wars Virtual Reality Experience Coming to Downtown Disney

britain

Kamikaze

Gah. Wasn't planning on returning to the Parks (on either coast) until SW:GE, but this might change my mind.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Shut up and take my money. Multiplayer Star Wars VR sounds like just about the greatest thing I could possibly imagine. Can't wait to see how they integrate this tech in the Star Wars resort.

@21stamps @Kamikaze @flynnibus

I'm not leaping just yet. Not a huge fan of these kinds of experiences so far in terms of their range and flexibility. Id much rather see some sort of augmented reality experience that was based on live people and sets.

Plus these things are horrible for capacity. Still falls under 'novelty ' imo

I've. It heard of these guys breaking the mold in any new ways

peep

Urgh, I really want to experience one of the Void setups (I really think they have a good way of making VR a 'thing') but I'm going to DLR in October, sounds like I'll totally miss this :(

TP2000

The Register has an article about this. Coming to Downtown Disney this Christmastime. Looks kind of dumb.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/03/star-wars-virtual-reality-experience-coming-to-downtown-disney/

la-fi-starwars-disney-virtual-reality-20170803

D

Deleted member 107043

Actually I don't see this ever really being a part of the parks, but it looks like an excellent way to bring leverage Star Wars outside the gates, and to bring a little bit of DisneyQuest back from the dead.

Iger has gone on record saying he has no intention of bringing VR into the parks, which I think is wise. Of course who knows what the next CEO will decide.

Will this go in the Build-a-Bear space?

TP2000

Iger has gone on record saying he has no intention of bringing VR into the parks, which I think is wise. Of course who knows what the next CEO will decide.

Will this go in the Build-a-Bear space?

I imagine this goes into Build-A-Bear and RideMakerz, which will probably close the end of this month. Can they do a 90 day turnaround on that space and have it operating by Thanksgiving weekend? Or not until mid December? And yet Disney already stated Build-A-Bear/Ridemakerz were to become "new dining options" in their press release last month.

It's obvious they are trying to figure out what to do with Downtown Disney. Retail is dying fast. There aren't enough restaurants at Downtown Disney. Does this sort of not-ready-for-the-parks attraction type experience help fill the retail void? It seems as though they are throwing stuff at the wall at Downtown Disney to see what sticks, but maybe they actually have a plan that looks out more than 6 months?

The way Disney operates now, I find it hard to believe they have anyone in charge of Downtown Disney that has a real plan or a true vision beyond their latest PowerPoint blather and a phone number for the cheesy Darden Corporation. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom