Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

ght

He is 8, I've already checked out their attractions and noted how lame they seem. I still think he'd have a good time though. He'd LOVE the waterpark. And he really wants to stay at the darn Lego Hotel which takes it from a relatively cheap day to a huge expense! $400 a night for that place!!!! Suddenly the Disney hotels seem cheap by comparison.
That is a great age for Legoland, actually. He is probably old enough to appreciate all the intricate models and things like Mindstorms but still young enough to enjoy some of the more kiddie rides. It is fun for the kids and fun for adults in the "I like to see my kids have fun" kind of way. Definitely not Disney but that isn't what it is going for. The hotel is expensive but it is pretty great for kids. The theming isn't the kind of thing adults enjoy on their own (as opposed to something like the Poly at WDW) but is great for the Lego demographic. We also found it enhanced our trip greatly because there are activities at the hotel in the evenings which extended our day after the park closed (Legoland closes pretty early, usually around 5). We got a pretty good deal from GetAwayToday on the hotel, a lot cheaper than what the Legoland website was charging. The only catch was you have to buy at least one ticket with it but we calculated it was cheaper for us to buy a kids ticket with the hotel since we were there multiple days. Also make sure you check the calendar, during off-peak months the park is closed during the middle of the week.

Curious Constance

That is a great age for Legoland, actually. He is probably old enough to appreciate all the intricate models and things like Mindstorms but still young enough to enjoy some of the more kiddie rides. It is fun for the kids and fun for adults in the "I like to see my kids have fun" kind of way. Definitely not Disney but that isn't what it is going for. The hotel is expensive but it is pretty great for kids. The theming isn't the kind of thing adults enjoy on their own (as opposed to something like the Poly at WDW) but is great for the Lego demographic. We also found it enhanced our trip greatly because there are activities at the hotel in the evenings which extended our day after the park closed (Legoland closes pretty early, usually around 5). We got a pretty good deal from GetAwayToday on the hotel, a lot cheaper than what the Legoland website was charging. The only catch was you have to buy at least one ticket with it but we calculated it was cheaper for us to buy a kids ticket with the hotel since we were there multiple days. Also make sure you check the calendar, during off-peak months the park is closed during the middle of the week.
Thanks for the tips!

Phroobar

@Curious Constance another place you should try next time your at Disneyland is Adventure City. It's about three miles down Ball from Disneyland. It basically has lots of Camp Snoopy-type rides for kids less than 10 years old. I believe admission is $17 with free parking. It's kind of fun to just waste time there with the little ones.They have a new family style flashback coaster there that is pretty fun.

Adventure_City_561354_i0.jpg

Stevek

@Curious Constance another place you should try next time your at Disneyland is Adventure City. It's about three miles down Ball from Disneyland. It basically has lots of Camp Snoopy-type rides for kids less than 10 years old. I believe admission is $17 with free parking. It's kind of fun to just waste time there with the little ones.They have a new family style flashback coaster there that is pretty fun.

Adventure_City_561354_i0.jpg
That's a nice little park...kinda like Camp Snoopy at Knott's. There was one coaster there that made me fear for my life...very old, like carny old and I thought it was going to fall apart. May have removed it, I think it may have been where the new coaster went in.

VJ

I've heard from many sources that it is not called "The Star Wars Experience." Not sure how the rumor got started that they were announcing the final name during the 60th show, but it evidently was not the case.
In an interview, a site asked one of the show's producers if the name would be announced. The producer replied "stay tuned in the second hour" so I was led to believe they'd announce the name. No dice. And I really don't think The Star Wars Experience is its name; especially since Disney has not referred the areas to that name as of yet even since the special aired.

Californian Elitist

I'm confused - you are making it sound like Uni becoming a two day experience because guests will wait in five hour lines... is a good thing?

As per what @TP2000 had to say I agree. This certainly makes USH a little more attractive, but we have to be realistic here. The battle in the swamps is worthy of our attention, but arguably the better Stateside Disney resort versus the clearly much inferior Universal park is not a worthy fight.

I love Hogsmead, but now it's just a clone (in some ways inferior) from a 2010 project that already has a major sequel in Orlando, in parks that were much better to begin with. The tram is the only reason I'd still eventually like to visit. For the Harry Potter fan, save your money for Florida.

I never said yay, five hour lines! I didn't indicate it was a good thing. I'm stating possible facts. That's it.

Just because you aren't interested in USH, it doesn't mean the bulk of others won't be either. USH's audience is the exact opposite of Disneyland's. There is no fight, I said nothing about competition. USH's guests come from pretty much every continent. I met people from France, Italy, Israel, Nigeria, Australia, Japan, Korea, India, Mexico, Brazil, and other countries while I worked at the park. Don't get me started on the amount of Chinese guests the park sees. You will not see the same amount of foreigners at Disneyland as you will see at USH, nowhere near it. The majority of tourists who go to USH are here for a Los Angeles vacation. It's not the same at Disneyland. Disneyland's got their group of people and USH has theirs. There's really no serious competition between the two. Foreigners will continue to visit USH and local Southern Californians/Westerners will continue to visit Disneyland.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I have noticed that there seem to more more tourists at USH, but it's hard to believe that there is not considerable overlap between those who visit both Disneyland and USH.

Universal had 6.8 million visitors in 2014, Disneyland had 16.7 million. I would imagine the majority of these tourists do go to Disneyland as well they just get lost in the shuffle with the huge amount of regional visitors.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I have noticed that there seem to more more tourists at USH, but it's hard to believe that there is not considerable overlap between those who visit both Disneyland and USH.

Universal had 6.8 million visitors in 2014, Disneyland had 16.7 million. I would imagine the majority of these tourists do go to Disneyland as well they just get lost in the shuffle with the huge amount of regional visitors.

A lot of them don't. It surprised me, too, at first, but when you hear about the vacation plans of these foreigners, it starts to make sense.

Californian Elitist

I didn't mean they would create something for Star Wars land that wasn't in a movie. I meant given that it is a movie, their only limit is their imagination. They can create anything they want to for future movies and content. They aren't limited to real life history and historical facts in one city. Star Wars is unique in that it doesn't just takes place in one city or even one planet. It's multiple, diverse worlds within one franchise. You can literally have redwood forests, deserts, oceans, rivers, futuristic large cities, etc, etc, etc. You have to admit that has the potential to be more diverse than New Orleans.

I can't admit that. New Orleans is an entire city that was founded nearly 300 years ago. An entire city vs films. Fourteen to twenty-one hours vs 300 years of history. New Orleans has the upper hand.

Curious Constance

I can't admit that. New Orleans is an entire city that was founded nearly 300 years ago. An entire city vs films. Fourteen to twenty-one hours vs 300 years of history. New Orleans has the upper hand.
That's missing the point though. It's not about the running time of the movies vs the age of New Orleans. New Orleans may be old, but it's one city with a very distinct style. Everything in NOS looks the same because it's based on that one city. Star Wars has various cities/worlds with vastly different landscapes and architectural styles to choose from. And since it's make believe, if it doesn't already exist in a movie, they can create it and put it in one. You don't have that option with established history.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

I think WDI is sort of acknowledging that Star Wars doesn't quite fit the 'Land' mold by:

1. Placing it beyond railroad tracks. Through all three paths, you are symbolically leaving Walt's park by traveling under railroad bridges.

2. Keeping it well hidden - this is not a Tarzan / Pirates / River Belle mixer. It's going to be a world away, and not trample on the other Lands (even though it's requiring a chunk of Frontierland real estate to do it).

3. Naming it "The Star Wars Experience." It's not a land, but is a lot more than just an attraction. It's other. Not a 3rd park, but it's close.
This @dweezil78 is what I think about Star Wars land. It takes away from Walt's park.

Donaldfan1934

Obviously the kids today aren't going to be bothered by Star Wars Land.
Exactly. You can't fault kids go not caring because that's all they know. However, things like this could stray them away from the power of what makes DL what it is. If future additions don't have a Walt feel to them and/or interfere with the identity of the park, then they shouldn't be made.

Curious Constance

Exactly. You can't fault kids go not caring because that's all they know. However, things like this could stray them away from the power of what makes DL what it is. If future additions don't have a Walt feel to them and/or interfere with the identity of the park, then they shouldn't be made.
Disneyland is many things to different people. You're afraid they are going to change the part that you personally identify with. You see that, right?

Donaldfan1934

Disneyland is many things to different people. You're afraid they are going to change the part that you personally identify with. You see that, right?
Yes, I'm afraid they are going to change what I and a lot of other fans love about it. Star Wars land has a different identity from the rest of the park, therefore it shouldn't be inserted. The lands right now gel together fairly smoothly despite their different themes. That's doesn't seem to be the case here, abd we're afraid that the tone of the park will one day be lost. That's all.

Kiwiduck

A lot of them don't. It surprised me, too, at first, but when you hear about the vacation plans of these foreigners, it starts to make sense.
As a 'foreigner" I think you are underestimating the primacy of Disneyland in peoples travel plans to your part of the world. Most people in my country with the means will take their children to Disneyland - and will also take them to Universal and Knotts etc while they are there because why not! But most of the travel packages are are sold as "7 nights at Disneyland" or " 5 nights in Anaheim" etc etc with a hotel package on Harbor Boulevard and surrounds. Disneyland is central in this advertising and the other parks are add-ons. Maybe we 'foreigners' stand out more at Universal because there are less locals there? I know that on my most recent trip to Disneyland I was practically tripping over fellow Kiwis and Aussies and there were also lots of non-english speaking Asian tourists.

Donaldfan1934

Have you ever considered that maybe that might make it better?
Come on now. I think that you already know about my take on the matter at this point. Disneyland should never become a museum, but it should preserve its tone and character in every change made to the park. If those elements are lost or deemphasized, then you start to lose the park.

Californian Elitist

As a 'foreigner" I think you are underestimating the primacy of Disneyland in peoples travel plans to your part of the world. Most people in my country with the means will take their children to Disneyland - and will also take them to Universal and Knotts etc while they are there because why not! But most of the travel packages are are sold as "7 nights at Disneyland" or " 5 nights in Anaheim" etc etc with a hotel package on Harbor Boulevard and surrounds. Disneyland is central in this advertising and the other parks are add-ons. Maybe we 'foreigners' stand out more at Universal because there are less locals there? I know that on my most recent trip to Disneyland I was practically tripping over fellow Kiwis and Aussies and there were also lots of non-english speaking Asian tourists.

No, you really don't understand just how many foreigners USH sees. They outnumber the number Disneyland sees, BY A MILE. I didn't say Disneyland doesn't get foreigners. However, I did say they are not the majority, and that is the truth. Sure, Disneyland sees a lot of Australian guests, but that in no way compares to the amount USH sees. People from almost any and every country you can think of visit Universal. That's just not the case at Disneyland. Most people will tell you Disneyland is a locals park, and that is absolutely true, for the most part. Go to USH and you'll barely hear any English spoken by the guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom