Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

dweezil78

It's like comparing a land based on Disney's Hercules to a land themed to ancient Greece. Which one are you going to get the most out of, and lends itself to some actual room for creativity?

You're acting as if lands in theme parks have endless space to fill. Most have room for 1 solid E-ticket (mayyybe 2 if you're lucky), a few supporting attractions, restaurants, and shops. From what Disney has released thus far on how they intend to use the space for SWL, it looks like they have no shortage of interesting ideas (subjective, yes) and a variety of locales in which to house them.

I'd be hard pressed to find another part of the park (w/ exception of probably Fantasyland) that looks as diverse as what the concept art leads us to believe we'll be getting with SWL. Especially the much beloved New Orleans Square which, despite it's beauty and charm, is New Orleans everywhere you look.

D

Deleted member 107043

Now take a land themed to, let's say, Los Angeles... You've got plenty to work with due to history alone, let alone culture, landmarks, etc. You've got multiple aspects of Los Angeles you could work with, film and television, car culture, Los Angeles noir, the Mexican influence in Los Angeles, the fast food culture, etc. These aspects of Los Angeles are all significantly different from each other, and would create a diverse land.

This basically describes DCA.

I just don't see how Star Wars is any less limiting as a theme than New Orleans, or the American Revolutionary War era (Liberty Square), or 1930s Hollywood (Hollywood Pictures Backlot). The Star Wars universe is incredibly diverse and could easily be a full-day theme park to itself. The real limitations are the resources to pull it off properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Californian Elitist

But a land based on make believe is very UNlimited when they not only have various/diverse lands within the movies that already exist, but have the ability to create anything you can imagine for the future content.

I can't imagine Disney creating something for Star Wars Land with absolutely no reference to it in any of the films.

I disagree, by the way. Something based on a well established city offers itself to a lot more creativity. Most well-known cities are hundreds of years old. That's hundreds of years of history, important events, famous people, landmarks, etc. to possibly work with, for just a single land. Even if one took one specific century of a famous city, that's one hundred years to work. Compare that to a series of films that are two to three hours long. So 14-21 hours in total of a single film franchise, make believe, vs. at least one hundred years of a well-known city. The limit is greater with the films. Disney built an entire park based on California. A single land based on a famous city would be nothing.

Creating a land based on a city has the potential to have significantly different experiences within it. Something like that follows Disneyland's concept better than a land based on an IP. I'm all for Star Wars Land, just not in Disneyland. Put it in DCA, or even better, build a park based on Star Wars.

Californian Elitist

You're acting as if lands in theme parks have endless space to fill. Most have room for 1 solid E-ticket (mayyybe 2 if you're lucky), a few supporting attractions, restaurants, and shops. From what Disney has released thus far on how they intend to use the space for SWL, it looks like they have no shortage of interesting ideas (subjective, yes) and a variety of locales in which to house them.

I'd be hard pressed to find another part of the park (w/ exception of probably Fantasyland) that looks as diverse as what the concept art leads us to believe we'll be getting with SWL. Especially the much beloved New Orleans Square which, despite it's beauty and charm, is New Orleans everywhere you look.

I'm not talking about how much land the park has. Forget about land space. I'm talking about land/theme concepts at Disneyland. I'm speaking hypothetically.

Would you like to answer the question? If you had to create a land based on either Disney's Hercules or ancient Greece, which concept would give you more freedom to work with?

Curious Constance

I can't imagine Disney creating something for Star Wars Land with absolutely no reference to it in any of the films.

I disagree, by the way. Something based on a well established city offers itself to a lot more creativity. Most well-known cities are hundreds of years old. That's hundreds of years of history, important events, famous people, landmarks, etc. to possibly work with, for just a single land. Even if one took one specific century of a famous city, that's one hundred years to work. Compare that to a series of films that are two to three hours long. So 14-21 hours in total of a single film franchise, make believe, vs. at least one hundred years of a well-known city. The limit is greater with the films. Disney built an entire park based on California. A single land based on a famous city would be nothing.

Creating a land based on a city has the potential to have significantly different experiences within it. Something like that follows Disneyland's concept better than a land based on an IP. I'm all for Star Wars Land, just not in Disneyland. Put it in DCA, or even better, build a park based on Star Wars.
I didn't mean they would create something for Star Wars land that wasn't in a movie. I meant given that it is a movie, their only limit is their imagination. They can create anything they want to for future movies and content. They aren't limited to real life history and historical facts in one city. Star Wars is unique in that it doesn't just takes place in one city or even one planet. It's multiple, diverse worlds within one franchise. You can literally have redwood forests, deserts, oceans, rivers, futuristic large cities, etc, etc, etc. You have to admit that has the potential to be more diverse than New Orleans.

gsrjedi

I feel that Star Wars has plenty of diverse worlds to draw from. Those can easily be used to make completely different experiences that are all based on the one theme that is Star Wars. I think it offers itself to as much creativity as a land based off a single city/state/country. I just think they have different types of constraints.

Curious Constance

I can tell you for the most part, the people who visit USH don't tend to visit Disneyland. I noticed this when I worked at USH.

Once Potter opens, I believe the days of some tourists spending just one day at USH will be over. Potter will take up a majority of people's day, and they will want to see it more than just for one day.
I understand that you worked there, but your perception that most Universal visitors don't also go to Disneyland has no basis in fact. I can see a certain percentage of local people who would frequent Universal and not Disneyland due to the high price of the DLR annual pass, but the percentage of out of town guests who would go to Universal and not the DLR also, I would imagine is very small.

dweezil78

I'm not talking about how much land the park has. Forget about land space. I'm talking about land/theme concepts at Disneyland. I'm speaking hypothetically.

Would you like to answer the question? If you had to create a land based on either Disney's Hercules or ancient Greece, which concept would give you more freedom to work with?

I think you're asking the wrong question. Disney's Hercules is a very narrow, singular story without a ton of scope -- so by that token, I'd go with Greece.

Now if you asked me to choose between ancient Greek Mythology or the ancient city of Greece, which I feel is a more appropriate question given what we're talking about -- I'd go with the ancient mythology any day of the week.

Unlike "Disney's Hercules," Star Wars is a franchise that has enormous scope and has explored countless different stories with different characters and locations over different forms of media throughout the past 40 years. To compare it to 1 single animated feature is not much different than comparing it to an episode of "Who's The Boss." Which, I admit, would make a wonderful themed land.

Californian Elitist

I think you're asking the wrong question. Disney's Hercules is a very narrow, singular story without a ton of scope -- so by that token, I'd go with Greece.

Now if you asked me to choose between ancient Greek Mythology or the ancient city of Greece, which I feel is a more appropriate question given what we're talking about -- I'd go with the ancient mythology any day of the week.

Unlike "Disney's Hercules," Star Wars is a franchise that has enormous scope and has explored countless different stories with different characters and locations over different forms of media throughout the past 40 years. To compare it to 1 single animated feature is not much different than comparing it to an episode of "Who's The Boss." Which, I admit, would make a wonderful themed land.

True, Hercules is a single film and Star Wars is a series of films.

Good example, let's take ancient Greek mythology and a city from ancient Greece, like Thebes. Not only would you be able to incorporate history, historical monuments and events, etc. with Thebes, but you'd also be able to incorporate Greek mythology as well because multiple Greek myth stories took place in Thebes. Although an entire land, or even an entire park based on Greek mythology sounds really cool and interesting, I don't think it can be denied that something based on Thebes would broaden the scope more. This has been the point I've been trying to make. Of course Star Wars has enough content to warrant its own land (outside of Disneyland) and even its own park, but I think it's far-fetched to say a film, or a series of films, offers more than an actual city would, in terms of creating content for a themed land at a theme park.

Stevek

The Star Wars universe is massive in terms of locations/planets, characters, ships...I really do see it as quite unlimited to be honest. If Uni can build Potterland from just the 2-3 main locations from series, I think Star Wars will do just fine. Now, it may be challenging tying it all together if for example you try to do Mustafar (lava) and Tatooine/Jakku (sand) and make it cohesive.

dweezil78

Although an entire land, or even an entire park based on Greek mythology sounds really cool and interesting, I don't think it can be denied that something based on Thebes would broaden the scope more.

Well, for your sake and the sake of all those clamoring for a massive Theban theme park experience, I certainly hope WDI wisens up and gets cracking on those plans soon.

BrianLo

The chances of people waiting five or more hours for Forbidden Journey are very high. Add in the wait time for Hippo and time spent browsing around shops and you've got yourself over half a day spent at USH. You've still got six rides, three shows, and the studio tour to wait in line for and experience, the studio tour alone taking 45 minutes to an hour to complete, let alone wait in line for. All of this easily turns into at least a two-day visit to USH.

I spoke with plenty of guests who were spending more than one day at the park when I worked there, and this was/is before the opening of Potter.

I'm confused - you are making it sound like Uni becoming a two day experience because guests will wait in five hour lines... is a good thing?

As per what @TP2000 had to say I agree. This certainly makes USH a little more attractive, but we have to be realistic here. The battle in the swamps is worthy of our attention, but arguably the better Stateside Disney resort versus the clearly much inferior Universal park is not a worthy fight.

I love Hogsmead, but now it's just a clone (in some ways inferior) from a 2010 project that already has a major sequel in Orlando, in parks that were much better to begin with. The tram is the only reason I'd still eventually like to visit. For the Harry Potter fan, save your money for Florida.

ght

LOL BIZARRE! And no I don't HATE Legoland! I love Lego, but we've never been to the park. I need to though. My son is begging to go. He's a huge Lego gamer/fan.
How old is he? Legoland is fun for kids about 10 and under but the amount of attractions for older kids is pretty small. They do have a pretty cool Mindstorms class and the minilands are really cool (particularly the Star Wars miniland to keep in the theme of this thread :)
Of course it is so easy to find discounts and "Kids go free" coupons that the cost to spend a day there is relatively low.

Curious Constance

How old is he? Legoland is fun for kids about 10 and under but the amount of attractions for older kids is pretty small. They do have a pretty cool Mindstorms class and the minilands are really cool (particularly the Star Wars miniland to keep in the theme of this thread :)
Of course it is so easy to find discounts and "Kids go free" coupons that the cost to spend a day there is relatively low.
He is 8, I've already checked out their attractions and noted how lame they seem. I still think he'd have a good time though. He'd LOVE the waterpark. And he really wants to stay at the darn Lego Hotel which takes it from a relatively cheap day to a huge expense! $400 a night for that place!!!! Suddenly the Disney hotels seem cheap by comparison.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom