Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Donaldfan1934

I think a big part of the merchandising success of Cars, has less to do with the popularity of the movie and more to do with the fact that most little kids like playing with toy cars. Not that Cars isn't popular, but I think even if it wasn't a movie, the merchandise would still do okay on its own. I also think that people enjoy Carsland because of how well it's done, and not because it's a replica of the movie.
I agree with you to an extent, but I never liked how people try to diminish the extent of Cars's popularity just because its considered weak for a Pixar movie by critics and some Disney/movie nerds. Like it or not, Radiator Springs was a place some people including myself wanted to go to after seeing the movie. Rotten Tomatoes scores don't always translate to public reception. While sentient vehicles always have a place in the toy market, its lasted this long because John Lasseter and his team at Pixar created a great story with great characters. if it wasn't tied into a movie, let alone a good one, it probably wouldn't have lasted 10 years and counting. Sure, the sequel got mixed to negative reviews and the Planes movies were just straight to DVD cash ins put on the big screen, but I think that the impact of the franchise on multiple generations over the course of 10 years shows that its a keeper to me.

Donaldfan1934

No, I wouldn't say that. Changes to a ride doesn't it make it new again. Disneyland's Pan is still considered the oldest.
True, but the point I was making is that very little of the rides that Walt built are still there aside from a prop or two. They were new tracks new sets and mostly new figures. Just look at the picturess of Alice in Wonderland, that ride looks nothing like what is there today. Again, Walt's impact is still incredibly strong both directly and indirectly. For example, the facades were inspired by the archetecture of the Storybook Land miniatures.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Star Trek's optimistic portrayal of the future, space exploration and speculative technology really gels with the old Tomorrowland. It's one of the reasons I dug on EPCOT Center when I was a kid. The Future World felt very Roddenberry. Even the architecture reminded me of Trek. You could just imagine shuttlecrafts flying overhead and people in Starfleet uniforms walking around the place. Too bad Disney went with the Saturday matinee popcorn space opera for kids, with its violent wars, death and slavery. Not very Disneyland, if you ask me.

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't really understand this apparent desire to visit the Star Wars universe. The worlds are inhospitable, the aliens are mostly frightening and basically, chances are you'd either be a slave or a terrorist, or murdered, and/or watch your loved ones get murdered or become murderers! Screw that! Let's go on the Enterprise and work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity.

Donaldfan1934

I don't really understand this apparent desire to visit the Star Wars universe. The worlds are inhospitable, the aliens are mostly frightening and basically, chances are you'd either be a slave or a terrorist, or murdered, and/or watch your loved ones get murdered or become murderers! Screw that! Let's go on the Enterprise and work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity.
I think that it's because that we tend to focus on the more fantastical elements of it all like the creatures, the technology of droids and space travel, and the possibility of becoming a Jedi (or a Sith for some) and using the force. While it may be a terrible idea for Disneyland, its still a great idea for the redo of DHS. That being said, you're the realities of the Star Wars universe have been far from great for most of the characters who live in it. The seedier aspects of the Star Wars universe definitley emphasize why it doesn't gel in a theme park of other wise utopian lands.

Californian Elitist

True, but the point I was making is that very little of the rides that Walt built are still there aside from a prop or two. They were new tracks new sets and mostly new figures. Just look at the picturess of Alice in Wonderland, that ride looks nothing like what is there today. Again, Walt's impact is still incredibly strong both directly and indirectly. For example, the facades were inspired by the archetecture of the Storybook Land miniatures.

Well of course they don't look like their 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, etc. selves. I don't think Walt Disney intended for the rides to stay exactly the same. They're supposed to evolve, and there's nothing wrong with that. I hate it when people use the "Disneyland will never be complete" quote, mainly because they misuse it, but in this case, it applies well.

Disneyland looks nowhere near the same as it did opening day. It's still 60 years old, though.

Donaldfan1934

Well of course they don't look like their 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, etc. selves. I don't think Walt Disney intended for the rides to stay exactly the same. They're supposed to evolve, and there's nothing wrong with that. I hate it when people use the "Disneyland will never be complete" quote, mainly because they misuse it, but in this case, it applies well.

Disneyland looks nowhere near the same as it did opening day. It's still 60 years old, though.
I know that he wanted the rides to change and Disney has done that extremely well. Despite any major and minor updates to the rides, there are fundamentally two versions of each ride with the obvious exeception of Pinocchio. There's the 1955-1981/82 versions and the 1983/84-present version. While Alice and Pan received significant updates recently, those upgrades were made to the rides as designed in 83/84 versions. Its one thing to say that Fantasyland has been modernized properly and makes Walt's original vision truer than ever. Its an entirley different thing to say that those are the rides that Walt built because aside from their location and basic concept, they have just as much of Walt's direct touch as the Walt Disney World versions did.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I know that he wanted the rides to change and Disney has done that extremely well. Despite any major and minor updates to the rides, there are fundamentally two versions of each ride with the obvious exeception of Pinocchio. There's the 1955/58-1981/82 versions and the 1983/84-present version. While Alice and Pan received significant updates recently, those upgrades were made to the rides as designed in 83/84 versions. Its one thing to say that Fantasyland has been modernized properly and makes Walt's original vision truer than ever. Its an entirley different thing to say that those are the rides that Walt built because aside from their location and basic concept, they have just as much of Walt's direct touch as the Walt Disney World versions did.

And I agree with that, but I don't remember anyone saying the current versions are "Walt versions."

Donaldfan1934

And I agree with that, but I don't remember anyone saying the current versions are "Walt versions."
Sorry, I only said it because you made it sound like it was the area of the park that saw that saw the least change aside from Main Street. Personally, I think its seen the most change of the original lands not counting Tomorrowland. Thankfully, the vast majority of the changes in Fantasyland have been for the better.

Pam Hates Penguins

You are exactly right. Star Wars' atmosphere is just not DISNEYLAND. Star Wars is a about people in bathrobes and explosions with creepy aliens and it's just plain evil. Disneyland is supposed to be " The Happiest Place on Earth." This does not look happy to me:

thRJC9QNPK.jpg
:cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

Curious Constance

You are exactly right. Star Wars' atmosphere is just not DISNEYLAND. Star Wars is a about people in bathrobes and explosions with creepy aliens and it's just plain evil. Disneyland is supposed to be " The Happiest Place on Earth." This does not look happy to me:

View attachment 128674 :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

You obviously don't care for Star Wars, which is fine. It's not for everyone. But when I look at that picture it evokes lots of happy emotions, so it's important to note that it's all very
subjective.

Pam Hates Penguins

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you arguing that happiness and visual beauty isn't subjective?

No. I'm asking if Star Wars sticks to Walt's dedication, “To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

Curious Constance

No. I'm asking if Star Wars sticks to Walt's dedication, “To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

Do you think that Dumbo fits into this? Or the Tea Cups? Mr Toad?

mickEblu

Ok guys I have seen a lot of good arguments about why SWL land is not a good fit for DL but Star Wars being Violent and unhappy is not one. Are pirates auctioning off a wench HAPPY? ( well maybe the pirates are) Are little boys turning into donkeys and being put behind bars HAPPY? Or how about the Ghost hosts suicide in HM? Or there's always the joy that is going to HELL in Mr Toads Wild Ride.
They key to it all, like every other Disney movie is that good triumphs over evil in the end. The light defeats darkness.

Last edited:

Pam Hates Penguins

Ok guys I have seen a lot of good arguments about why SWL land is not a good fit for DL but Star Wars being Violent and unhappy is not one. Are pirates auctioning off a wench HAPPY? ( well maybe the pirates are) Are little boys turning into donkeys and being put behind bars HAPPY? Or how about the Ghost hosts suicide in HM? Or there's always the joy that is going to HELL in Mr Toads Wild Ride.
They key to all, like every other Disney movie is that good triumphs over evil in the end. The light defeats darkness.

Listen. A few attractions like Pirates, Mr. Toad's, Haunted Mansion, and even Star Tours are okay with me, but A 14-ACRE LAND DEDICATED TO WARS? Not very Disneyland at all.

mickEblu

But the argument earlier wasn't necessarily the size but more that the concept and subject matter doesn't work at DL. Another thing I can assure you is that there won't be evil brewing in every corner of those 14 acres. The land in the Concept art looks very warm and pleasant. The argument that a 14 acre land dedicated in DL to a single IP is a completely different argument then what I was reading above. Also I wasn't necessarily talking to only you.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom