Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Pam Hates Penguins

To place something this non-Disney inside of Walt’s theme park just feels … dirty. Like a money grab.
What makes Disneyland special (in my humble opinion), is that it was built on the hard work and imagination of a team of people dedicated to bringing a great mix of stories to life. One flowed into the other effortlessly, and this land transitioned into the next as fluidly as you could hope for. Tomorrowland and Fantasyland – there is no jarring exit/entry there. Or Adventureland to New Orleans Square: they sort of blend together and perhaps even enhance one another.When I go to Disneyland I am leaving the world behind. The addition of SWL will serve only to fracture the ecosystem that has been built over the years, and will stick out like a sore thumb.

britain

Imagineering is the Art of Reassurance. We put you through entertainment disguised as peril and danger, and you make it through alive! You've passed the tests, and are a little better for it.

The threat of pirates, stormtroopers, wicked witches and the like - that's all part and parcel of it.

That is why whenever I hear someone suggest making villain-themed fifth park for WDW, I shake my head. They just don't get it. The MK attractions are ALREADY villain-based. You just win in the end.

mickEblu

Just for the record my first choice for Star Wars was a third gate. My second was the Simba lot. My third was a portion of Tomorrowland. But you roll with the punches.

This is happening. So I'm hoping for the best and I'm sure it ll be cool. I'm not concerned with the land itself not looking right in DL or the subject matter not working. My 2 concerns are 1) devoting so much acreage in a this small land locked park to a single franchise. No matter what franchise that was. Do we really need 3 Star Wars attractions in the park when movies like Aladdin and BATB don't have any? And 2) That both new attractions will be mostly media based and screen heavy which I get bored of rather quickly. I would like the battle attraction to be something with elaborate sets and AAs with a real moving vehicle through time and space with some thrills that keep it interesting. Give me Indy meets RSR meets POTC With a touch of TSMM/ BLAB (cuz I heard It will be some sort of interatictve shooter).

D

Deleted member 107043

Cowboys vs Indians and Pirates were about as close as you could get to a Star Wars in Walt's day and he had no problem featuring them prominently within his park.

What Star Wars will do for Disneyland is give it a sci-fi boost that devotes as much space to the genre as some of the other themes in the park, and I see it as a good thing. It's been documented that when the Studio was putting together programming for the Disneyland TV series in 1954 they ran into major challenges with programming the Tomorrowland segments because the company didn't have a single science fantasy or science fiction production in its catalogue. Since then the number of sci-fi productions from Disney has been scant until the purchase of Marvel and now LucasFilm.

D

Deleted member 107043

Too bad Disney went with the Saturday matinee popcorn space opera for kids, with its violent wars, death and slavery. Not very Disneyland, if you ask me.

What in the world are these imagineers today thinking bringing something as brutal as Star Wars to Disneyland? *clutches pearls*

Back in my day Disney did it right. They created scenes depicting decaying skeletons, pirates violently attacking a port town, the auctioning and raping of women, pillaging, drunkenness, and general mayhem and destruction. It was all so very Disney. Unlike Star Wars. *shudders*

Californian Elitist

Sorry, I only said it because you made it sound like it was the area of the park that saw that saw the least change aside from Main Street. Personally, I think its seen the most change of the original lands not counting Tomorrowland. Thankfully, the vast majority of the changes in Fantasyland have been for the better.

I stand by what I said.

When I say Fantasyland has seen the least change, I don't mean it literally. I mean the changes it has received over the past 60 years haven't significantly changed the feeling of the land. Even though the rides have seen upgrades and changes, the rides are still there, regardless.

Pam Hates Penguins

I agree the concept of Star Wars Land doesn't fit the park, but I think your reasoning for it is weak. Have you actually been to Disneyland? Do you know the history well?

Yes I have been there. I'm going back in March in fact. And I do know the history very well. I'll give you a fun fact many of you probably don't know. Do you know how the Jungle Cruise path got set up? A guy took a stick lying on the ground and started tracing where the path goes where the Jungle Cruise lies today.

Pam Hates Penguins

What in the world are these imagineers today thinking bringing something as brutal as Star Wars to Disneyland? *clutches pearls*

Back in my day Disney did it right. They created scenes depicting decaying skeletons, pirates violently attacking a port town, the auctioning and raping of women, pillaging, drunkenness, and general mayhem and destruction. It was all so very Disney. Unlike Star Wars. *shudders*

Right. No Star Wars Land should be there.

Travel Junkie

One of the design features of Disneyland is being able to see landmarks between lands. You can see a fantasyland castle from Main St. HM and Splash sit next to each other. Matterhorn straddles 2 lands. The lands blend together in a way that just works. It's hard to find the exact point to go from NO Square to Frontierland, but since all the lands with a small exception of ToonTown have this same look you buy it.

With Star Wars land they are now creating a self contained land within a park that wasn't designed in this manner. They are going to great lengths to prevent as little intrusion in or out of the land in a park that famously has these features. They are spending a lot of money rerouting the train and fitting this new land outside the berm almost as if they are trying to subconsciously tell you something. So the question is why? My feeling that part of this is because they (WDI and TDA) know this doesn't belong in Disneyland and they are trying to create a barrier between Disneyland proper and this addition. There is Disneyland and there is Star Wars land. You only need one ticket but they might as well be different parks.

So in a way even Disney is telling us Star Wars land doesn't belong in Disneyland.

D

Deleted member 107043

Right. No Star Wars Land should be there.

And by your logic neither should this:

Californian Elitist

Yes I have been there. I'm going back in March in fact. And I do know the history very well. I'll give you a fun fact many of you probably don't know. Do you know how the Jungle Cruise path got set up? A guy took a stick lying on the ground and started tracing where the path goes where the Jungle Cruise lies today.

If you know the history well, why do you keep bringing up this nonsense about happiness?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom