Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Kate F

Please tell me you stomped your foot as you wrote this part.
I didn't, but I admit that was a very immature thing to say. What I meant was that I personally think it's very obvious why Star Wars Land in DL isn't right and I find it hard to believe that anyone is defending it.

D

Deleted member 107043

@Curious Constance you've been unblocked!

tumblr_m4zc1fMLux1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

Disney Analyst

I've read several pages and posts now, discussing how a single themed IP does not fit, and how Star Wars Land does not and will not fit in Disneyland.

I sincerely disagree with those opinions, and this is why.

I see this land as no different then any other land, themed with a broad topic or setting... that is if you yourself can try and separate Star Wars from the land, just for a moment.

If we separate Star Wars... and look at it for what is is... A highly themed environment, where guests are transported to a planet in a galaxy far away... Where they get to experience the technologies and adventures this new world has available, things we do not have available on our own planet... Then YES, I do really think this land is everything Walt originally intended for Disneyland.

Could someone who has never watched a Star Wars movie enter this land, be fully immersed, and enjoy the attractions offered? I fully believe so, I fully believe they will feel as if they are on a new planet. (It would be even better if there was a transportation system to get you there, and that was the only way to enter... but alas)..

So if they named this land after the planet we are travelling to, albeit all inspired by Star Wars, with Star Wars characters present... then I truly think it firmly will fit in Disneyland...

Now we all know Star Wars will likely be somewhere in the title of this new land, so that won't happen. You'll enter something called Star Wars Land, or Star Wars Galaxy... but forget the name, separate yourself from the IP, and enjoy the experience... It'll be very Disneyland.

dweezil78

I sincerely disagree with those opinions, and this is why.

I see this land as no different then any other land, themed with a broad topic or setting... that is if you yourself can try and separate Star Wars from the land, just for a moment.

Honestly, IMO, this whole argument/debate/whatever you want to call it simply boils down to semantics and personal tastes.

The What Would Walt Do? mantra is so ridiculous and played out. Walt would've probably let Monsanto or some other brand sponsor all of it and turn it all into ride able advertisements. :D

D

Deleted member 107043

@dweezil78 Walt Disney probably wouldn't care what they did with DL at this point because he'd be on to some other ambitious project by now - EPCOT on Mars or something. The fans today who consider themselves stewards of DL's legacy are far more emotionally engaged with how the place is run than Walt or his family was.

dweezil78

@dweezil78 Walt Disney probably wouldn't care what they did with DL at this point because he'd be on to some other ambitious project by now - EPCOT on Mars or something. The fans today who consider themselves stewards of DL's legacy are far more emotionally engaged with how the place is run than Walt or his family was.

Yep... I firmly believe that if Walt had lived a full life and had moved on to the projects he was becoming more passionate about, Disneyland would've ended up being somewhat of a afterthought to him, handed off to someone else, and would've seen far more significant changes throughout years as the need to preserve his legacy wouldn't have been so important when it came to his first little theme park.

Phroobar

Walt always went with the new big thing. He went from cartoon shorts to feature length cartoons to live action to Disneyland. If he lived, he would have been consumed by Epcot the city and probably would have bankrupted the company. Disneyland would have been owned by Cedar Fair.

dweezil78

Walt always went with the new big thing. He went from cartoon shorts to feature length cartoons to live action to Disneyland. If he lived, he would have been consumed by Epcot the city and probably would have bankrupted the company. Disneyland would have been owned by Cedar Fair.

He'd probably be living his life in a utopian city gone horribly wrong deep under the ocean, overrun with creepy 'little sisters' and 'big daddies.'

Disney Analyst

Honestly, IMO, this whole argument/debate/whatever you want to call it simply boils down to semantics and personal tastes.

The What Would Walt Do? mantra is so ridiculous and played out. Walt would've probably let Monsanto or some other brand sponsor all of it and turn it all into ride able advertisements. :D

Just to be clear, I hope it didn't come across as a WWWD thing... I was just trying to say that I believe it will fit with the original ideals and concept of Disneyland that Walt created.

Curious Constance

I'd like to find out how everyone would feel about the Star Wars addition if we found out with absolute certaintly that Walt made a call from the grave and ordered this land to be built in his park.

Donaldfan1934

Devils advocate here. Winnie The Pooh wasn't an original Disney Character, however 50 something years after Disney got the rights to the franchise he is widely accepted as a Disney character. I mean if you want to get technical about it, the stories of Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, etc. aren't original Disney stories either, but after Disney made movies about these stories, the stories and characters are now 100% associated with Disney. Yes Star Wars was originally written by Lucas, just like Disney had nothing to do with the 1865 Alice in Wonderland novel. However over time and Disney adaptation, which is what the new movies are/will be, Star Wars will be associated with Disney, which I don't think is any different than any of the other cases.
While they weren't originally created by Disney, they were all "Disneyfied" into the iconic characters that we know today. Definitely a different situation from Star Wars

Donaldfan1934

Exactly. Any single IP just doesn't fit with the concept of Disneyland.

A lot of change has occurred within the park, but I feel Fantasyland is the one original land that, for the most part, hasn't changed much since opening, and is still very much "Walt-esque."
Famtasyland was pretty much rebuilt in 1983, but I understand what you mean in terms of feel.

Donaldfan1934

In the case of Cars and Avatar, I don't think either franchise has proven itself to have that kind of longevity. Star Wars (and probably Harry Potter for UNI) I think certainly has.
If you switched Harry Potter and Cars I think that it would be more accurate. For example, I loved the movie Cars when I was a kid (as well as now) and so do kids born since it was released. In the case of Harry Potter, most people who were in love with the franchise were kids when the books/movies were still coming out. In short, you still see little boys decked out in Lightning McQueen everything 10 years later while you'd have trouble finding anyone under the age of 16 or so who had the same type of obsession towards Harry Potter. This isn't my Disney bias talking, this is coming from my observations of the world around me.

Donaldfan1934

I don't even think I can put into words why I don't think Star Wars Land fits in DL, it just doesn't, plain and simple. I don't care how much money they make off of it, they should have enough common sense to know that it's going to feel incredibly out of place in Walt's original park. Also, it's not like they aren't making a ton of money off of the property currently.

Although, I do think it is a good point that Indy and Star Tours were probably met with unfavorable reactions when they were first announced. I also understand that time has changed and IP lands and rides are the thing. However, this still just doesn't sit right with me at all. I don't think anyone should need to explain it, it's just wrong and that's that.
You're right on everything. The difference with Star Tours and Indy is that while they have worked better in other theme parks like DHS and TDS respectively, they didn't take away from the feel of the overall lands let alone the park.

Curious Constance

If you switched Harry Potter and Cars I think that it would be more accurate. For example, I loved the movie Cars when I was a kid (as well as now) and so do kids born since it was released. In the case of Harry Potter, most people who were in love with the franchise were kids when the books/movies were still coming out. In short, you still see little boys decked out in Lightning McQueen everything 10 years later while you'd have trouble finding anyone under the age of 16 or so who had the same type of obsession towards Harry Potter. This isn't my Disney bias talking, this is coming from my observations of the world around me.
I don't agree with that. I think Harry Potter is still very relevant with today's kids. I don't think it was ever a big merchandise pusher, like Cars is, so you don't see kids wearing shirts, etc, but I can guarantee you the books and movies are still being consumed by kids.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom