Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Pam Hates Penguins

And by your logic neither should this:

I haven't gone into much research with the Pirates Land coming to Shanghai. But remember. This is SHANGHAI. Pirates Land is alright there in Shanghai. I don't think the Pirates Land belongs with Disneyland. I'm alright with Star Wars Land in Disney's Hollywood Studios. But a whole Star Wars Land doesn't belong in Walt's original Magic Kingdom.

mickEblu

70 pages later and not one opinion has been swayed in either direction in regards to SWL being a good fit for DL. Lol. Which is fine of course but since it is indeed coming maybe we can steer the conversation towards what we would like or not like to see there.

George Lucas on a Bench

I would like to not be able to see it from anywhere in the park.

I would not like for the Millennium Falcon ride to be something like Mission:SPACE where you and several other people riding with you nonsensically ''interact'' by pressing buttons and using a manual steering column, AKA a joystick.

D

Deleted member 107043

Which is fine of course but since it is indeed coming maybe we can steer the conversation towards what we would like or not like to see there.

I'm actually interested in having a conversation that gets to the root of why the inclusion of SW Land at Disneyland is upsetting for some fans. None of the major points being made by the people who dislike the idea are meaningful enough to sway my opinion.

The idea that the ROA is being drastically re-rerouted and/or destroyed by the SW Land expansion has been debunked. The notion that a major new addition to Disneyland that may feature battles, bloodshed, and strife doesn't belong in the park has been proven false because all of these themes have been staple features in several attractions for decades. There have been several strong points made that the "Walt wouldn't have approved" argument is invalid since no one could possibly know what his thoughts on the matter would be today.

I understand that some people just don't like SW or think a 14 acre land devoted to the story is overkill, but there's something about the idea of SW Land inside Disneyland that seems to have gotten under some people's skin in an emotional way, and I'm curious what it is.

flynnibus

Premium Member
One of the design features of Disneyland is being able to see landmarks between lands. You can see a fantasyland castle from Main St. HM and Splash sit next to each other

This is a practical consideration.. not a design principle. You mention the Matterhorn.. and as you say it really sits in both lands without a real separation... why? Because Walt decided it would be that way and they'd just do it. Now fans accept that as part of the charm of the park.. but don't rewrite history. Some times Walt just ignored his own past to do what he wanted now. The idea of the weinie does not apply to those sightline issues like things hangover over the top of buildings, etc. It's just a practicality of the park and they decided X was more important than Y.

The lands blend together in a way that just works

Its more 'its always been that way..' and people just accept the lows with the highs.

The attention to sight lines is more about modern WDI principles than it is about 'hiding' it as if it doesn't belong.

mickEblu

I would like to not be able to see it from anywhere in the park.

I would not like for the Millennium Falcon ride to be something like Mission:SPACE where you and several other people riding with you nonsensically ''interact'' by pressing buttons and using a manual steering column, AKA a joystick.

Lol I've never been on Mission: Space but from how you and others have described it ... It sounds awful.

D

Deleted member 107043

This is early concept art, so the final product may look very different, but if the fantastic towering rock structures are built at the scale shown here it would seem impossible to hide them from every single angle that the public sees inside Disneyland.

StarWarsLand3.jpg

Travel Junkie

This is a practical consideration.. not a design principle. You mention the Matterhorn.. and as you say it really sits in both lands without a real separation... why? Because Walt decided it would be that way and they'd just do it. Now fans accept that as part of the charm of the park.. but don't rewrite history. Some times Walt just ignored his own past to do what he wanted now. The idea of the weinie does not apply to those sightline issues like things hangover over the top of buildings, etc. It's just a practicality of the park and they decided X was more important than Y.

Its more 'its always been that way..' and people just accept the lows with the highs.

The attention to sight lines is more about modern WDI principles than it is about 'hiding' it as if it doesn't belong.

It's both. They designed it that way because it was practical and the park is laid out so it flows seamlessly from land to land.

Splash wasn't always next to HM, but from the day Splash was built it felt like it was always there. That was designed that way on purpose. Baxter has been quoted as saying part of the design was to blend in with HM even though it seems at first like they would conflict with each other.

mickEblu

I'm actually interested in having a conversation that gets to the root of why the inclusion of SW Land at Disneyland is upsetting for some fans. None of the major points being made by the people who dislike the idea are meaningful enough to sway my opinion.

The idea that the ROA is being drastically re-rerouted and/or destroyed by the SW Land expansion has been debunked. The notion that a major new addition to Disneyland that may feature battles, bloodshed, and strife doesn't belong in the park has been proven false because all of these themes have been staple features in several attractions for decades. There have been several strong points made that the "Walt wouldn't have approved" argument is invalid since no one could possibly know what his thoughts on the matter would be today.

I understand that some people just don't like SW or think a 14 acre land devoted to the story is overkill, but there's something about the idea of SW Land inside Disneyland that seems to have gotten under some people's skin in an emotional way, and I'm curious what it is.

My concern, as I stated earlier is that 14 acres and 3 attractions all for one IP in a small landlocked park is like you said , overkill. Especially when there are so many great stories that have no representation at the park. But I have no doubt that the land itself will be awesome. For the simple fact that it's 2016 and the imagineers will have a nice budget to work with.

I think for a lot of the people against SWL it just comes down to the idea that Star Wars doesn't feel Disney because they just purchased it and almost feels like they're merely Star Wars distributors. To be honest there's nothing about Force Awakens that feels like it was Disney-fied. Which of course was the right way to go about it. There's no way they could change the formula of the greatest phenomena in the history of Cinema. Disney did do a lot of things to ensure it was a success like getting JJ / Kasden on board etc.. But it doesn't feel like a Disney movie. Sure, classics like Peter Pan & Alice in Wonderland weren't original but the movies were 100% Disneyfied. Granted, most of the same people against SWL probably don't mind Indiana Jones and Star Tours but that's when the sheer size of the new land comes into play and turns folks off.

I would say most people's concerns about the ROA being butchered were a lot worse before the concept art and newer rumors came out.

So basically it just doesn't feel like Disney to people. Disneyland is one of a kind, it will always be the only park Walt walked in and there will never be another one. It's just kind of sacred to a lot of people, myself included, so any drastic changes are always frowned upon. Keep in mind we are talking about the fan community here and not the general population which I'm sure you are aware of.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

This is early concept art, so the final product may look very different, but if the fantastic towering rock structures are built at the scale shown here it would seem impossible to hide them from every single angle that the public sees inside Disneyland.

StarWarsLand3.jpg

It's very different to see the very tops of some rock work from Frontierland that actually fit the land than see HM and Splash sitting next to each other clear as day. I will take a guess and say the entrance to a Star Wars ride will not be seen from ROA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom