Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

Californian Elitist

We thought about going in November but we went to wdw for food and wine festival and to see the Osborne lights. We are actually headed to our airport hotel right now, as of right now our flight should leave on time. Normally we would be flying out of Minneapolis but we are in Chicago visiting my husband family and the bad weather was here today and now there is a snow storm in Minneapolis. So I think we might have lucked out.

Stay safe in that weather!

I want to pet the goats!

Same, and the donkey(s)! We can do that, too.

IMFearless

Just to add my 50 cents, sorry to slightly high jack the thread but I can offer a different perspective as I am not a local frequent visitor, in fact I have not yet visited - my trip is planned for March 6th!

I am a UK visitor who frequently goes to WDW as I dislike the Paris weather and lack of show. Been a few times to DLP but aside from certain attractions I'm not as bothered about going back.

However, having spent a huge amount of time at WDW in recent years, I have really wanted to make a pilgrimage to Disneyland to see the original. I have to be honest, Cars Land has really been the "final straw" as it were to get me over the line and commit to the trip. It's not that it is the main draw. It's just that previously the other reasons to visit were not great enough without that addition, so while I am sure that DCA does not pull in a crowd to rival DL it may in essence be acting as a "weenie" for the entire resort itself - for me it was the tipping point, particularly the quality of show with the Cars addition.

My main motivation though is to visit Disneyland and experience the differences and similarities to Disney World, our history on the East Coast is in fact located in Anaheim.

The thing is, I don't travel until March 6th. My flights were booked in September, just after the Star Wars announcement was made: my logic was - I need to get there before the park is permenantly altered.

The thing is, it looks like I might be too late! I was expecting some level of closures but for me Frontierland and the ROA is quintessential to what Disneyland is, not to mention the Railroad. I understand that the park has to move forward, heck Walt built the Matterhorn for goodness sake, I don't think you could make a bolder move than that.

I just hope the ROA are not completely drained during the construction period, do you think they will find a way to keep water in the front portion of the ROA like they have done with the hub at MK?

Looking forward to seeing Disneyland - I know I'm going to love the place.

Californian Elitist

Just to add my 50 cents, sorry to slightly high jack the thread but I can offer a different perspective as I am not a local frequent visitor, in fact I have not yet visited - my trip is planned for March 6th!

I am a UK visitor who frequently goes to WDW as I dislike the Paris weather and lack of show. Been a few times to DLP but aside from certain attractions I'm not as bothered about going back.

However, having spent a huge amount of time at WDW in recent years, I have really wanted to make a pilgrimage to Disneyland to see the original. I have to be honest, Cars Land has really been the "final straw" as it were to get me over the line and commit to the trip. It's not that it is the main draw. It's just that previously the other reasons to visit were not great enough without that addition, so while I am sure that DCA does not pull in a crowd to rival DL it may in essence be acting as a "weenie" for the entire resort itself - for me it was the tipping point, particularly the quality of show with the Cars addition.

My main motivation though is to visit Disneyland and experience the differences and similarities to Disney World, our history on the East Coast is in fact located in Anaheim.

The thing is, I don't travel until March 6th. My flights were booked in September, just after the Star Wars announcement was made: my logic was - I need to get there before the park is permenantly altered.

The thing is, it looks like I might be too late! I was expecting some level of closures but for me Frontierland and the ROA is quintessential to what Disneyland is, not to mention the Railroad. I understand that the park has to move forward, heck Walt built the Matterhorn for goodness sake, I don't think you could make a bolder move than that.

I just hope the ROA are not completely drained during the construction period, do you think they will find a way to keep water in the front portion of the ROA like they have done with the hub at MK?

Looking forward to seeing Disneyland - I know I'm going to love the place.

Seems like you really appreciate the history aspect of Disneyland and get why some of us are upset about these recent decisions. The addition of Matterhorn to the park in no way compares to what's about to happen to Frontierland, the Rivers of America, and the Disneyland Railroad. This will be something completely different.

It's a shame you're not coming sooner. I would assume the entire river will be drained in March, but I'm not completely sure.

IMFearless

Seems like you really appreciate the history aspect of Disneyland and get why some of us are upset about these recent decisions. The addition of Matterhorn to the park in no way compares to what's about to happen to Frontierland, the Rivers of America, and the Disneyland Railroad. This will be something completely different.

It's a shame you're not coming sooner. I would assume the entire river will be drained in March, but I'm not completely sure.

Indeed the history of the place is of huge importance to me - I think it must be for many visitors which I think is why the development is keeping the ROA in some form.

I just wished I had moved sooner but I was keen to wait until the crowds for the 60th died down a bit, but still catch the tail end of the celebration.

I'm more disappointed about the lack of the Rail Road if I'm honest. It's a shame they aren't running a shuttle service between Toon Town and Main Street, similar to what we had during the construction of our Splash Mountain in Florida.

There's going to be a lot closed, which is a shame for guests who were expecting the park to be looking it's best during it's anniversary year.

Californian Elitist

Indeed the history of the place is of huge importance to me - I think it must be for many visitors which I think is why the development is keeping the ROA in some form.

I just wished I had moved sooner but I was keen to wait until the crowds for the 60th died down a bit, but still catch the tail end of the celebration.

I'm more disappointed about the lack of the Rail Road if I'm honest. It's a shame they aren't running a shuttle service between Toon Town and Main Street, similar to what we had during the construction of our Splash Mountain in Florida.

There's going to be a lot closed, which is a shame for guests who were expecting the park to be looking it's best during it's anniversary year.

The crowds haven't died down at all... I wish you had come to the forum and asked for advice, I would have definitely recommended you come sooner. It seems you moved to the U.S.? Am I correct?

Disneyland is small, unlike Magic Kingdom. The lands are very close to each other, so you won't have to worry about walking long distances. In saying that, the DLRR is significantly different from MK's version, so it sucks you'll be missing that, too.

IMFearless

No I haven't moved to the USA. I spend a lot of time there though (2 months last year) so I can see why people would assume that!

Unfortunately, I had existing trips planned to WDW in the last few years which basically needed to be paid for and enjoyed prior to the DL trip.

It was basically in the run up to the 60th that the idea really started to gain traction and I made my mind up in August that I wanted to get moving on it. Fortunately, I got a great deal on flights in September, but I didn't want to visit DLR for a first visit during Halloween/Christmas, as I want to experience the attractions without having seasonal overlays and Hard ticket events reducing opening hours.

I avoided January/February as I didn't want to risk Splash being closed as it is my favourite ride and want to experience the other version. I settled on early March as I felt it was early enough to avoid the Spring Break but hopefully miss some of the closures.

I'm just glad I will get to see the park before too much construction happens.

IMFearless

I'm very excited to say the least, but the differences are very apparent already - the lack of concrete opening hours is very different and going back to Fastpass without the prescheduling is odd once you have adjusted to the new method. By now I would have an hour by hour park plan for a WDW trip with dining and FP+ scheduled. It's odd but at the same time quite refreshing to not have that framework to work within. I have been reading through as much info about DLR as I can find, so I think I am already fairly clued up compared to many first time visitors, that being said any tips are greatfully received!

D

Deleted member 107043

Since this is your first trip to DLR there'll be plenty of new things for you to experience even though some attractions will be closed. From a historical standpoint I can completely understand why the closures are dissapointing for you, however the good news is that other than the ROA being drained, which means no Fantasmic, there really shouldn't be too much of an impact on your visit otherwise. Yes, the DLRR is nice, but all things considered missing it or the river attractions aren't the end of the world.

RMichael21

No I haven't moved to the USA. I spend a lot of time there though (2 months last year) so I can see why people would assume that!

Unfortunately, I had existing trips planned to WDW in the last few years which basically needed to be paid for and enjoyed prior to the DL trip.

It was basically in the run up to the 60th that the idea really started to gain traction and I made my mind up in August that I wanted to get moving on it. Fortunately, I got a great deal on flights in September, but I didn't want to visit DLR for a first visit during Halloween/Christmas, as I want to experience the attractions without having seasonal overlays and Hard ticket events reducing opening hours.

I avoided January/February as I didn't want to risk Splash being closed as it is my favourite ride and want to experience the other version. I settled on early March as I felt it was early enough to avoid the Spring Break but hopefully miss some of the closures.

I'm just glad I will get to see the park before too much construction happens.
Well, unfortunately, Splash is one of the only attractions at DLR (IMO) that's inferior to WDW. It's a minute or two shorter I believe. But, I guess I'll let you be the judge of that.
I'm very excited to say the least, but the differences are very apparent already - the lack of concrete opening hours is very different and going back to Fastpass without the prescheduling is odd once you have adjusted to the new method. By now I would have an hour by hour park plan for a WDW trip with dining and FP+ scheduled. It's odd but at the same time quite refreshing to not have that framework to work within. I have been reading through as much info about DLR as I can find, so I think I am already fairly clued up compared to many first time visitors, that being said any tips are greatfully received!
As @Dr. Hans Reinhardt said, I would not be surprised if the River was drained, as TDA wants to get the construction with the river done as quickly as possible. I doubt that they would start work and then refill it for March/Spring Break crowds. That means the following attractions would be closed:
  • Mark Twain
  • Sailing Ship Colombia
  • Canoes
  • Fantasmic!
  • Tom Sawyer Island
Hope that helps! :)

George Lucas on a Bench

Many people consider DL Splash Mountain inferior to the MK version, but I enjoy both. It's actually hard for me to choose. Unfortunately, DL's hasn't been in good working order, with lights out, broken and missing characters and an overall dingy look about it all. However, what I enjoy about DL's is sitting single file (the drop is more thrilling), the faster pace, different music and how it's kinda like a combination of a Fantasyland dark ride and a water ride. MK's goes at a slower pace, with more drawn out scenes (although some from DL's are left out) and more elaborate brighter interiors. It's more like a POTC-style ride there.

mickEblu

Does anyone know how SWL will effect Big Thunder Trail? It's not something that's really talked about or maybe known at this point. Will the trail remain the same and will we still have that back entrance to Fantasyland where the Old Skyway station is? I kind of always assumed the trail wouldn't be effected and the entrance to SWL would go where Big Thunder Ranch currently is located.

I think it's just starting to sink in how much SWL will be altering DL. Aside from the obvious.... altering the DLRR and ROA (20% -40% as per rumors) and cutting TSI in half. You have Big Thunder Trail possibly being completely changed as well as Hungry Bear possibly being removed or altered for the path to SWL. Not to mention the river sight lines from Critter Country / NOS looking North possibly being destroyed. (The illusion that the river is vast and not just a loop). It just feels like we re losing all the areas with that backwoods charm that somehow I knew was special even when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s. Maybe I'm not the norm but as a kid I always tried to steer my family into eating at the Hungry Bear because I loved the atmosphere.

I dunno, I wanted to be excited for SWL And I'm still excited for the possibilities (although I hate the placement) but I'm just starting to worry. Here's to hoping for the best and that sight lines are preserved, Big Thunder Trail stays mostly the same, Hungry Bear stays open along the river, the ROA is only cut down 20% not 40% and with the loss we get some nice show enhancements. Oh yea, and that that DLRR still feels like the DLRR.

GiveMeTheMusic

Everyone seems to forget that we have never seen a official map from Disney of the new train route.

There's a reason why Disney hasn't released an actual "map" of the changes. They know people will be ed, so they're just going to do it so that there's no chance for backlash.

Of course, present day Disneyland fans are so stupid that there was a huge backlash of Aladdin closing, a stale 12 year old stage show, but permanently neutering the River is met with shrugs.

D

Deleted member 107043

There was backlash some years ago when trees were removed from the Hub to provide better viewing of the fireworks. i also recall complaining when some benches were removed or relocated in the park. Disney fans are definitely a fussy bunch.

Change is difficult, and the fan community has diverse opinions. Therefore it goes without saying that it would be impossible for Disney to please everyone, and they are wise to keep DLR's offerings up to date while being somewhat respectful to DL's heritage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom