Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

D

Deleted member 107043

You keep insisting on a false choice. The reason that Star Wars and the Rivers of America cannot coexist is a legacy making demand to alter more of the park and vain attempts at cost savings.

You're over intellectualizing something that is very basic and simple to understand. Also, please elaborate on how investing money in this iteration of the SW Land expansion ,which will increase the cost of operations, is an attempt at cost savings.

The leveraging of nostalgia came out of the same dismissive view of themed entertainment

Huh?

lazyboy97o

You've lost me.

The DL and DHS expansions are not carbon copies.

Star Wars land and ROA will continue to coexist. ROA is being modified, it's not disappearing.

This is the most expensive iteration of their plan and subsequently the one that effects DL (on stage) the least. The other two involved a cheap and subpar overlay of tomorrowland, the second iteration eliminated a complete land (Toontown). The current preserves essentially all capacity at the most costly price-tag.

Legacy making? Sure. But you are conflating your opinion against how truly this is the most ambitious, costly and preservationist plan.
Carbon copies is very much a goal.

Grand expenses to change the park could easily have been put towards reconfiguring the land to better work with more than ample space outside the park. But such a move doesn't radically alter the park, a common goal throughout the project's development.

You're over intellectualizing something that is very basic and simple to understand. Also, please elaborate on how investing money in this iteration of the SW Land expansion ,which will increase the cost of operations, is an attempt at cost savings.

Huh?
Trying to design once and build twice is an attempt to save money.

Nostalgia hyped what was already done, not doing anything new as per the mandate that the theme parks are not where anything new is introduced.

BrianLo

Carbon copies is very much a goal.

Grand expenses to change the park could easily have been put towards reconfiguring the land to better work with more than ample space outside the park. But such a move doesn't radically alter the park, a common goal throughout the project's development.

I'm not sure if you are privy to something I am not? Why do you assume the goal is to (and I am paraphrasing) destroy a part of Disneyland to suit Iger's ego? Secondly, even if the goal is cloning, DHS is very flexible in terms of space, DL is very much dictating layout by having to work around so many more legacy obstacles.

The park is not really being radically altered. They were going to radically alter the park by ripping out the subs/autotopia. They were going to less dramatically alter the park by removing a land people generally don't care about (Toon town) to get at further backstage facilities.

Now they are least altering the park by spending a ton of money to reconfigure (and not remove) legacy attractions so they can finally access a large chunk of land beyond the berm, expand the park's acreage and fix a lot of their guest flow issues such as the dead end that is Critter Country. All while altering, outside of Disney fandom, very little anyone would remotely notice.

Would you prefer that they instead roughly halve the size of the proposed land and avoid any reconfiguration? Which would also require a bottle-necked single entry point reminiscent of Toon Town. Because that is what it would require. You can't just spend more money on 8 acres to make it feel like 14. If they are going to bother doing it at all they had to do it big to accommodate the hordes.

I totally respect the opinion that ROA is something that should just not be messed with and people's attachments to all areas of Disneyland, but it's a poor argument that they aren't going well out of their way to protect legacy Disneyland to gather together enough space for an ambitious project.

People have very diverse and strong opinions on this matter obviously, but I get this sentiment that there is a superiority when it comes to ROA. It shouldn't be the intellectual preference to think that if you disagree with the expansion you are beyond those who like the plans.

lazyboy97o

I'm not sure if you are privy to something I am not? Why do you assume the goal is to (and I am paraphrasing) destroy a part of Disneyland to suit Iger's ego? Secondly, even if the goal is cloning, DHS is very flexible in terms of space, DL is very much dictating layout by having to work around so many more legacy obstacles.

The park is not really being radically altered. They were going to radically alter the park by ripping out the subs/autotopia. They were going to less dramatically alter the park by removing a land people generally don't care about (Toon town) to get at further backstage facilities.

Now they are least altering the park by spending a ton of money to reconfigure (and not remove) legacy attractions so they can finally access a large chunk of land beyond the berm, expand the park's acreage and fix a lot of their guest flow issues such as the dead end that is Critter Country. All while altering, outside of Disney fandom, very little anyone would remotely notice.

Would you prefer that they instead roughly halve the size of the proposed land and avoid any reconfiguration? Which would also require a bottle-necked single entry point reminiscent of Toon Town. Because that is what it would require. You can't just spend more money on 8 acres to make it feel like 14. If they are going to bother doing it at all they had to do it big to accommodate the hordes.

I totally respect the opinion that ROA is something that should just not be messed with and people's attachments to all areas of Disneyland, but it's a poor argument that they aren't going well out of their way to protect legacy Disneyland to gather together enough space for an ambitious project.

People have very diverse and strong opinions on this matter obviously, but I get this sentiment that there is a superiority when it comes to ROA. It shouldn't be the intellectual preference to think that if you disagree with the expansion you are beyond those who like the plans.
Many of Iger's choices have been about legacy building and Disney's flagship park has hardly been touched in his tenure. Now it gets his biggest legacy making franchise purchase.

Plenty of people have shown how 14 acres can be put together without cutting into the Rivers. Even then, for two attractions it is a massive scale of the sort that makes Walt Disney World a place that is mostly idle time.

My issue is not with the removal of the Rivers, but the attitudes and motivations.

HauntedMansionFLA

Many of Iger's choices have been about legacy building and Disney's flagship park has hardly been touched in his tenure. Now it gets his biggest legacy making franchise purchase.

Plenty of people have shown how 14 acres can be put together without cutting into the Rivers. Even then, for two attractions it is a massive scale of the sort that makes Walt Disney World a place that is mostly idle time.

My issue is not with the removal of the Rivers, but the attitudes and motivations.
Ive never been to DLR but was there room to put SWL in DCA?

Phroobar

So I hear the Millennium Falcon ride will use the same ride system as Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. I was kind of hoping for a re-skinned Mission: Space spinner but this will do. I guess this is different enough that Star Tours could be added as well.

D

Deleted member 107043

Demo permit has been issued: :(

CWwuueHVAAAexl9.png:large

Back to the permit... with permission granted for site demolition to begin is there any information available that says when this will start? If I remember correctly the DLRR and ROA attractions close in January, right?

GiveMeTheMusic

Back to the permit... with permission granted for site demolition to begin is there any information available that says when this will start? If I remember correctly the DLRR and ROA attractions close in January, right?

Expect work to start almost immediately after the attractions close on the 10th. This project will be finished as fast as humanly possible (or I should say, Disnily possible).

D

Deleted member 107043

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing all the online demo and construction pics, although it's such a remote corner of the park I'm guessing it'll be tough for photographers to get good views of the progress.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So I hear the Millennium Falcon ride will use the same ride system as Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. I was kind of hoping for a re-skinned Mission: Space spinner but this will do. I guess this is different enough that Star Tours could be added as well.

There was a rumor on Screamscape about the ride system recently, but it did NOT say it would be the Forbidden Journey ride system. All it said was the vehicles would move in front of individual project screens similar to how Forbbden Journey works. That could end up being something like the Ratatouille ride.

TP2000

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing all the online demo and construction pics, although it's such a remote corner of the park I'm guessing it'll be tough for photographers to get good views of the progress.

The top floors of the Mickey & Friends parking structure will offer decent views in 2016, until the physical ride buildings begin to rise up later.

Here's the view of Star Wars Land currently from the parking structure.
disneydaze.com

D

Deleted member 107043

The top floors of the Mickey & Friends parking structure will offer decent views in 2016, until the physical ride buildings begin to rise up later.

Here's the view of Star Wars Land currently from the parking structure.
disneydaze.com

Wow, ok, so we will have something to see. :):) Now I'm curious to know how they will block the parking garage from inside SW Land.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I thought you were coming earlier?

We thought about going in November but we went to wdw for food and wine festival and to see the Osborne lights. We are actually headed to our airport hotel right now, as of right now our flight should leave on time. Normally we would be flying out of Minneapolis but we are in Chicago visiting my husband family and the bad weather was here today and now there is a snow storm in Minneapolis. So I think we might have lucked out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom