Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

captainmoch

...is it bad that I feel like Frontierland might be benefited from this a bit? Sure, the ROA will be 5-6 minutes shorter, but we're apparently getting a brand new mountain range/locales to see too. And we're not losing anything at TSI besides stuff that has already been closed. All we're really losing is the canoes and the petting zoo... which aren't huge losses. At least at the expense of an awesome, state of the art Star Wars Land.

mickEblu

...is it bad that I feel like Frontierland might be benefited from this a bit? Sure, the ROA will be 5-6 minutes shorter, but we're apparently getting a brand new mountain range/locales to see too. And we're not losing anything at TSI besides stuff that has already been closed. All we're really losing is the canoes and the petting zoo... which aren't huge losses. At least at the expense of an awesome, state of the art Star Wars Land.

I thought the Canoes were safe? I agree on the mountain range and maybe some waterfalls?? being a great thing for the ROA and all the river attractions. Just hoping it's closer to the 20% reduction rumor and not the 50%.

Phroobar

I'm still not convinced this plan wasn't chosen specifically because it rips up so much. It's not just an addition, but a legacy maker that wipes out a huge original chunk of the park. It's making a mark for the sake of making a mark.
You would be all over it if it weren't Star Wars.

Phroobar

Huh? I have no issue with Star Wars. My critique is about why this "has" to happen to this location. A magnificent park of Disneyland is being sacrificed for legacy making and Disney's Hollywood Studios.
Really? So a few hundred yards of unused land is so sacred that it can't be used to expand the park even if it was a Disneyland version of Western River Expedition or Discovery Bay? You sound like they are removing the Partners statue for one of Bob Iger.

lazyboy97o

Really? So a few hundred yards of unused land is so sacred that it can't be used to expand the park even if it was a Disneyland version of Western River Expedition or Discovery Bay? You sound like they are removing the Partners statue for one of Bob Iger.
The land isn't unused nor is it needed. It's not being done for anything than to make dramatic changes to the park and help facilitate the ridiculous demand that the two lands be identical.

Phroobar

From a guest perspective it is unused and it's hardly dramatic. A dramatic change would be to rip out Fantasyland and put in Marvel land and replace the castle with Stark Tower. We are talking about an area behind a wall that no guests see anyway.

Why do you think the two lands will be identical? Why is wrong with that? As long as the quality of the new land is high, I have no problem ripping out backstage area.

D

Deleted member 107043

It's making a mark for the sake of making a mark.

It's pretty bold mark to make and a long overdue one, don't you think? Making marks and taking risks is one of the hallmarks of Disneyland, and rerouting the DLRR and ROA to accommodate a fresh new expansion is a dramatic step for a theme park that exhausted nostalgic magical wishes and dreams years ago. If the project turns out to be as well executed and as well received as Carsland then there is no doubt that the mark will be a serious game changer for DL, not just physically but perceptually for generations. To me this is precisely the kind of big-thinking momentous alteration that has historically set Disneyland apart from its competitors, and something that has been desperately needed for decades. We'll see how it all pans out, and maybe it'll be awful, but right now I couldn't be more excited. Bring on the earth movers, cranes and wrecking balls!!

original.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

From a guest perspective it is unused and it's hardly dramatic. A dramatic change would be to rip out Fantasyland and put in Marvel land and replace the castle with Stark Tower. We are talking about an area behind a wall that no guests see anyway.

Why do you think the two lands will be identical? Why is wrong with that? As long as the quality of the new land is high, I have no problem ripping out backstage area.
I know the two lands are supposed to be identical, and not just by havi the same look and venues. It is a problem because it means ignoring context and, both the geotechnical differences as well as the organizational differences of the parks.

I'm not bothered by the backstage facilities being ripped out. It's the unnecessary destruction of the Rivers of America.

It's pretty bold mark to make and a long overdue one, don't you think? Making marks and taking risks is one of the hallmarks of Disneyland, and rerouting the DLRR and ROA to accommodate a fresh new expansion is a dramatic step for a theme park that exhausted nostalgic magical wishes and dreams years ago. If the project turns out to be as well executed and as well received as Carsland then there is no doubt that the mark will be a serious game changer for DL, not just physically but perceptually for generations. To me this is precisely the kind of big-thinking momentous alteration that has historically set Disneyland apart from its competitors, and something that has been desperately needed for decades. We'll see how it all pans out, and maybe it'll be awful, but right now I couldn't be more excited. Bring on the earth movers, cranes and wrecking balls!!

original.gif
Because this is not about being bold, just destroying for the sake of doing so. To eliminate the old, passé, non-franchise accomplishments of themed entertainment that undermine notions of its inferiority to film.

D

Deleted member 107043

Because this is not about being bold, just destroying for the sake of doing so. To eliminate the old, passé, non-franchise accomplishments of themed entertainment that undermine notions of its inferiority to film.

I can see why that might irk some people, but in the long run it's in the best interest of Disneyland's long term relevance as the king of all theme parks going forward. This is a BIG change, and one that many die-hard Disneyland fans aren't going to like, but it would be silly for Disney to continue to bank on tired nostalgia and dated themes that no longer resonate for a new generation. The river will still be there, and so will the Railroad. Some sacrifices will be made and there will be dramatic physical changes, but in the end the park will be improved with an addition that will be way more popular with guests than what's there now. From both a business investment and guest experience standpoint they've made a very smart decision.

Phroobar

I know the two lands are supposed to be identical, and not just by havi the same look and venues. It is a problem because it means ignoring context and, both the geotechnical differences as well as the organizational differences of the parks.

Are you trying to say space stuff doesn't belong next to cowboy stuff? Star Wars has its roots in westerns. I think it shares more in common with Frontierland than Tomorrowland.

lazyboy97o

I can see why that might irk some people, but in the long run it's in the best interest of Disneyland's long term relevance as the king of all theme parks going forward. This is a BIG change, and one that many die-hard Disneyland fans aren't going to like, but it would be silly for Disney to continue to bank on tired nostalgia and dated themes that no longer resonate for a new generation. The river will still be there, and so will the Railroad. Some sacrifices will be made and there will be dramatic physical changes, but in the end the park will be improved with an addition that will be way more popular with guests than what's there now. From both a business investment and guest experience standpoint they've made a very smart decision.
Your conflating a bunch of unrelated issues. The overuse of nostalgia at Disneyland makes no need for destroying the Rivers of America and comes from the very same mindset.

Are you trying to say space stuff doesn't belong next to cowboy stuff? Star Wars has its roots in westerns. I think it shares more in common with Frontierland than Tomorrowland.
No, just physical organization and function regardless of theme. Disneyland and Disney's Hollywood Studios are two completely different parks laid out in completely different ways.

D

Deleted member 107043

Your conflating a bunch of unrelated issues.

No. Sacrificing a vintage section of the park for a $30 billion franchise makes good sense, and no one can deny that Star Wars Land will be far more popular than the ROA could ever hope to be. Maintaining the park's appeal at the expense of something old is nothing new at Disneyland, and the good news is that the ROA and the DLRR will still be there when the dust settles.

. The overuse of nostalgia at Disneyland makes no need for destroying the Rivers of America and comes from the very same mindset.

The leveraging of nostalgia as for corporate marketing over the past few decades at DLR is at the root of why people are upset about the changes. The Disneyland I grew up with was always in a state of change and always looked forward. My sentimental affection for the park is longing for a return to the days when there would always be something momentous on the horizon and it's finally happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

No. Sacrificing a vintage section of the park for a $30 billion franchise makes good sense, and no one can deny that Star Wars Land will be far more popular than the ROA could ever hope to be. Maintaining the park's appeal at the expense of something old is nothing new at Disneyland, and the good news is that the ROA and the DLRR will still be there when the dust settles.
You keep insisting on a false choice. The reason that Star Wars and the Rivers of America cannot coexist is a legacy making demand to alter more of the park and vain attempts at cost savings.

The leveraging of nostalgia as for corporate marketing over the past few decades at DLR is at the root of why people are upset about the changes. The Disneyland I grew up with was always in a state of change and always looked forward. My sentimental affection for the park is longing for a return to the days when there would always be something momentous on the horizon and it's finally happening.
The leveraging of nostalgia came out of the same dismissive view of themed entertainment, that it is little more than expensive advertising and unable to be a true storytelling medium. It's that same old dictate that things must be "Disney," meaning pre-established.

BrianLo

You keep insisting on a false choice. The reason that Star Wars and the Rivers of America cannot coexist is a legacy making demand to alter more of the park and vain attempts at cost savings.

You've lost me.

The DL and DHS expansions are not carbon copies.

Star Wars land and ROA will continue to coexist. ROA is being modified, it's not disappearing.

This is the most expensive iteration of their plan and subsequently the one that effects DL (on stage) the least. The other two involved a cheap and subpar overlay of tomorrowland, the second iteration eliminated a complete land (Toontown). The current preserves essentially all capacity at the most costly price-tag.

Legacy making? Sure. But you are conflating your opinion against how truly this is the most ambitious, costly and preservationist plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom