Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

D

Deleted member 107043

Not this early though. Disney stopped that kind of premature marketing decades ago. I'm not sure but have they even released a map/layout of Avatar Land yet?

GiveMeTheMusic

Not this early though. Disney stopped that kind of premature marketing decades ago. I'm not sure but have they even released a map/layout of Avatar Land yet?

Pandora isn't taking impacting an existing area of one of the world's oldest and most popular theme parks. But they have displayed a complete scale model of the land.

The only reason Disney hasn't given details on SWL's site plan is because they don't want a public response. Although judging by how little most people seem to care, it doesn't seem that it would make a difference.

D

Deleted member 107043

But they have displayed a complete scale model of the land.

How long did they display it after it was announced though? There are plenty of other examples. My point is that concern about fan backlash probably isn't the main reason why they are holding back on revealing more details.

GiveMeTheMusic

How long did they display it after it was announced though? There are plenty of other examples. My point is that concern about fan backlash probably isn't the main reason why they are holding back on revealing more details.

Can you think of another explanation as to why Disney won't say just how the River/Island/Railroad will be altered? They'll only give very vague statements, admitting only to some "rerouting". It's not because they don't know what they're going to do - if that were the case they wouldn't be in a position to start construction preparations next week.

lazyboy97o

@GiveMeTheMusic isn't guessing when discussing Star Wars Land. Pandora is not an appropriate comparison because the announcement came before real design work began.

DDLand

@GiveMeTheMusic isn't guessing when discussing Star Wars Land. Pandora is not an appropriate comparison because the announcement came before real design work began.
Though even in Pandora's case, we only got the full scale model at D23 I believe. That was after about a year and a half of construction and already having most of the main buildings topped off. The MiceAge Update made it seem as though Disney was hesitant to put out detailed plans until after moving past demolition.

That's not to negate what @GiveMeTheMusic is saying though. I'm sure they're treading carefully here. Frankly I would imagine they're going to try and deaden the blow by releasing information about the attractions, while also revealing the new river path. That seems like a way to keep people more satisfied (or people more quiet).

D

Deleted member 107043

Can you think of another explanation as to why Disney won't say just how the River/Island/Railroad will be altered?

No, but I can say that this appears to be the typical practice at Parks & Resorts currently. You're probably right that Disney is skittish about releasing information because of potential fan reaction, but I don't agree that it's the only reason, nor do I see it being any more protective here than it has with other projects in recent years.

For example, SDL is opening this year and its only been in the last few months that detailed renderings and information about the $4 billion development were released. How long did it take them to finally reveal details about the plans for the 60th at DL? Or the Luigi's revamp? Then there's Florida... There's the aforementioned Avatar project, and Disney Hollywood Studios' refresh has still yet to be completely revealed. There was also the painfully slow reveal of DTD/Pleasure Island's transformation into Disney Springs. With that track record, and with real construction on SW Land still months away, I wouldn't expect to know any real details for maybe another 6 months to a year.

Phroobar

That before and after on Micechat was depressing.
I think that was the point of the article. They would rather see toon town, the subs and autopia go. They want an ewok tree house in the lagoon and falcon on the top the people mover platform. They want a tie fighter spinner on top of the 3d theater.

Phroobar

If you read the article, you'd know the author is advocating for a third gate, not a Tomorrowland takeover.
I only skim over it and look at the pictures because their commentary is mostly lies and conjecture. I still don't forgive them for the star wars construction to start immediately in tomorrowland because the subs are going down for referb story. Their SOTF article sounded like it was written by Grumpy Cat. They can only predict changes about three months in advance since that is when staffing is getting organized. Heck, my pitiful sources predicted star wars launch bay would be put in innoventions while they were still screaming it would be a Disneyland museum. Even the official site said the museum is going to be at D23 before they posted that.

Travel Junkie

Andy Castro’s article on MiceChat had a well-reasoned argument as to why he feels Star Wars land belongs outside Disneyland. It’s perfectly fine to disagree with it (I certainly didn’t agree with everything he said) but if you found the arguments to be nothing but complaining and doom and gloom then you simply don’t get it or more importantly do not want to try and understand it, so there’s no reason to even continue having the debate. Why is it worth having a discussion if you will simply dismiss any other opinion other than your own?

As to how accurate the rumors are as to how much is being cut off, they are just those rumors, that he spells out multiple times. What is pretty evident though based on how much is being closed and Disney’s admission that the river route is being rerouted indicates that there will be significant changes.

One of my biggest concerns with this whole thing is that it will almost assuredly be a wild success. I’m sure that last sentence will get cut off from my explanation as to why I say that but the reason I say this is because Disneyland simply was not designed or built to handle these kinds of crowds operationally. It will be even more of an unpleasant experience navigating the park as it has been during the 60th.

GiveMeTheMusic

I only skim over it and look at the pictures because their commentary is mostly lies and conjecture. I still don't forgive them for the star wars construction to start immediately in tomorrowland because the subs are going down for referb story. Their SOTF article sounded like it was written by Grumpy Cat. They can only predict changes about three months in advance since that is when staffing is getting organized. Heck, my pitiful sources predicted star wars launch bay would be put in innoventions while they were still screaming it would be a Disneyland museum. Even the official site said the museum is going to be at D23 before they posted that.

Yesterday's article was an editorial by Andy Castro. The miceage updates you reference are not written by Andy - the site has multiple authors with varying points of view.

They're also remarkably accurate at the time of publishing. Sure some rumors are wrong, but it's a RUMOR site. The very nature of it is unconfirmed unofficial news.

They were completely right about the Tomorrowland plans when they published that article. Then Disney changed course and canceled it, going back to the drawing board. The concept moved to the Toontown site, and then finally to its current River-ruining location.

All that to say, if you're going to comment on an article, you should read it first.

Phroobar

They're also remarkably accurate at the time of publishing. Sure some rumors are wrong, but it's a RUMOR site. The very nature of it is unconfirmed unofficial news.

They were completely right about the Tomorrowland plans when they published that article. Then Disney changed course and canceled it, going back to the drawing board. The concept moved to the Toontown site, and then finally to its current River-ruining location.
I highly doubt that. That tomorrowland rumor was only on miceage and no other site. There was no proof from Disney that those things were ever the plan.

Yesterday's article was an editorial by Andy Castro. The miceage updates you reference are not written by Andy - the site has multiple authors with varying points of view.
So basically every other author is full of crap.

Sorry but I don't see much difference between their normal articles and "You got to be kidding" articles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom