Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ep 8). SPOILERS. Plot points revealed and discussed.

tk924

A 36% decrease from “the reboot awakens”...fear the Russians 🇦🇴
Let me tell you what I fear. The fact that Disney just extended KK's contract for 3 years. I guess they learned nothing, eh?
I totally understand though. Firing a woman in a position like that in this day and age would generate really bad PR. My hope is that they'll keep her from making major decisions on future SW projects, but I doubt it. It's apparent that Disney does not know the SW brand they purchased. The only outlier at this point has been Rogue One. Maybe, hopefully things will get better. But again, I doubt it.

Phroobar

Did you read the article? I'm not trying to have politics spill out into here, but the research seems solid. The article says that it has nothing to do with people who didn't like the movie for various reasons, but specifically with the Tweets and reactions that claimed that the movie was some kind of veiled attempt to promote liberalism to spark more argument and disagreement.

The hacking and trolling operations conducted by the Russians have not just had the aim of influencing elections.

A big part of the operation has been to sow division through the society on a range of divisive issues. A Star Wars film is about as big of a pop culture event as you're going to find, and could definitely be a significant target for that type of influence operation.

tk924

Yes, I read the article filled with statements like; "may have been", "appears to be", "possibly tracing". Really? C'mon. Just read the title of that article out loud to yourself, "Was The Last Jedi Hate Actually Spread by Russian Trolls?" :bored:
Not a very conclusive article.

Bairstow

Did you read the article? I'm not trying to have politics spill out into here, but the research seems solid. The article says that it has nothing to do with people who didn't like the movie for various reasons, but specifically with the Tweets and reactions that claimed that the movie was some kind of veiled attempt to promote liberalism to spark more argument and disagreement.

The hacking and trolling operations conducted by the Russians have not just had the aim of influencing elections.

A big part of the operation has been to sow division through the society on a range of divisive issues. A Star Wars film is about as big of a pop culture event as you're going to find, and could definitely be a significant target for that type of influence operation.
It's definitely plausible.
The movie still sucks, though.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Let me tell you what I fear. The fact that Disney just extended KK's contract for 3 years. I guess they learned nothing, eh?

They didn't learn what a minority of fans wanted them to learn, but they did learn what the majority of fans wanted them to learn, namely, that they generally liked TLJ at a rate of about 80% approval. That's what the scientific polls showed, not the self-selecting online polls or the, quite frankly, very immature ranting of YouTubers dropping F-bombs like someone killed a member of their family.

Disney/LucasFilm has access to all the polling they need to know how TLJ really did.

People lambast Disney for making "business decisions" and only looking at their bottom line. If that was true, and if TLJ was truly a bomb, then they would have ditched Kennedy. But they're not, so...

Phroobar

They didn't learn what a minority of fans wanted them to learn, but they did learn what the majority of fans wanted them to learn, namely, that they generally liked TLJ at a rate of about 80% approval. That's what the scientific polls showed, not the self-selecting online polls or the, quite frankly, very immature ranting of YouTubers dropping F-bombs like someone killed a member of their family.

Disney/LucasFilm has access to all the polling they need to know how TLJ really did.

People lambaste Disney for making "business decisions" and only looking at their bottom line. If that was true, and if TLJ was truly a bomb, then they would have ditched Kennedy. But they're not, so...
I believe most people around here just parrot back the most outrageous thing they heard on you tube and have no clue what really is going on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I totally understand though. Firing a woman in a position like that in this day and age would generate really bad PR. My hope is that they'll keep her from making major decisions on future SW projects, but I doubt it. It's apparent that Disney does not know the SW brand they purchased. The only outlier at this point has been Rogue One. Maybe, hopefully things will get better. But again, I doubt it.

I’m sure we could go on for weeks about this...

But here’s what I’m resigned to:

I never bought the sjw stuff...I didn’t think it was about an agenda. I still don’t necessarily think it’s about feminism or resetting the metrics that way...

But I think there is a clear agenda. It’s coming from the boardroom...not Kennedy.

It think this is wholly about trying to “globalize” Star Wars. It will fail...it’s a fool’s errand.

Here’s the “problem” that still holds...Star Wars fandom is a “wasp” army. Where was It huge? US, Britain, Canada, Austailia....Japan.

What’s the common link? Anglicized...in essence.

Disney sees the future money moving away from that...not that I disagree...but not for Star Wars. They still don’t know why it was what it was.

So Kennedy has fallen a lot in a year...I’m sure there were a lot of voices calling for a change Within the company and business world...not fans.
But they have an agenda...so they put her on ice for 6 months to hide the problem that the agenda is risking the foundation...and quietly sneak forward now with a new contract.

So they are willing to go down this path? Rian Johnson taking out the knees on why it worked in the first place?
Guess so.

Ugh...I’m done with this...peeing upwind.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

People lambast Disney for making "business decisions" and only looking at their bottom line. If that was true, and if TLJ was truly a bomb, then they would have ditched Kennedy. But they're not, so...

It’s an absolutely horrible attempt at reinterpreting the reason why Star Wars worked in the first place...

You can pull your charts...defend disney...I am never sure about anything...but I’m 100% sure that I’m right about what damage has been done to Star Wars - again.

Lucas was basically forced to quit his own brainchild...Disney is going the same
Route...unfortunately. The “trainwreck trilogy” is rolling along.

But Again...dig In and wait for what happens. The prequels were never rescued despite loyalist predictions. They sit unnoticed playing on a loop on tnt...

So shall these...abrams is an awful “finisher”
In the first place ..and he’s scrambling. Billy Dee? Cgi Fisher (the living one was awful), Alias, lost, and felicity actors?

That is a rudderless ship to nowhere.

Here’s hoping I’m wrong...but don’t bet the house.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It’s an absolutely horrible attempt at reinterpreting the reason why Star Wars worked in the first place...

You can pull your charts...defend disney...I am never sure about anything...but I’m 100% sure that I’m right about what damage has been done to Star Wars - again.

Lucas was basically forced to quit his own brainchild...Disney is going the same
Route...unfortunately. The “trainwreck trilogy” is rolling along.

But Again...dig In and wait for what happens. The prequels were never rescued despite loyalist predictions. They sit unnoticed playing on a loop on tnt...

So shall these...abrams is an awful “finisher”
In the first place ..and he’s scrambling. Billy Dee? Cgi Fisher (the living one was awful), Alias, lost, and felicity actors?

That is a rudderless ship to nowhere.

Here’s hoping I’m wrong...but don’t bet the house.

You have a serious problem. No really, this is psychiatrically a break from reality.

I'm making the point it wasn't as hated as some portray, and you launch into a word salad of garbage tropes having nothing to do with the point I was making.

Don't know who you're arguing with or what your point is, but it's sad.

The majority of people who saw TLJ didn't hate it. Period. Deal with it.

erasure fan1

The fact that Disney just extended KK's contract for 3 years. I guess they learned nothing, eh?
I totally understand though. Firing a woman in a position like that in this day and age would generate really bad PR. My hope is that they'll keep her from making major decisions on future SW projects, but I doubt it.
I don't think that they learned nothing, I just don't think they really had much choice. Even though Solo wasn't the success they wanted, she still made a ton of box office. You are right, it would be bad PR to fire her. What's surprising is they extended her now. I would have waited to see how EP9 turns out before I do anything. I'm really hoping that they get a creative head for star wars and let Kennedy run the business side. I was hoping that Kennedy would have just walked after her contract was done. But if rumors are to be believed, they really didn't have anyone who wanted the gig. So maybe they gave a short extension to buy some more time to find someone new.

fractal

must be the Russians.

The Last Jedi Blu Ray Sales Drop to 56% of Force Awakens

renderTimingPixel.png

Further evidence that The Last Jedi sadly did turn off about half the audience, the-numbers.com is now reporting the launch week sales of The Last Jedi and... it's not good. Whereas The Force Awakens sold 3,420,540 units in its first week of release, The Last Jedi only sold 1,940,241 units. In raw monetary terms, the Last Jedi brought in over $40,000,000 less revenue in its first week of Blu Ray sales. Given its divisive nature, it is likely that after collectors' purchases the sales dropped rapidly in comparison to other Star Wars movies. Those numbers will be released next Wednesday.
Blu Ray sales are one of the very best ways of gauging an audience's reaction to a movie as purchasing a movie after seeing it in a theater is a vote from the consumer's wallet for the quality of the film. Although some are pointing to Solo's plummeting box office returns as a shock, Disney knew privately they were in trouble with the Star Wars brand as they've been holding onto The Last Jedi's Blu Ray sales outside of public view for the past few months. When a sequel gathers only 56% of its predecessor's Blu Ray sales, it indicates a massive swing in public opinion. As an example, the first Captain America movie released on BluRay to a sales amount of $20,313,189, while the sequel released to sales amount of $22,358,092. This indicates growth from one entry in the franchise to the next. Dropping the amount of Last Jedi from Force Awakens in the launch week tally is a gigantic number, and further evidence that Disney is hemorrhaging Star Wars consumers post-TLJ.
Links for reference:
The Last Jedi sales numbers: https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Star-Wars-Ep-VIII-The-Last-Jedi#tab=video-sales
The Force Awakens sales numbers: https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Star-Wars-Ep-VII-The-Force-Awakens#tab=video-sales
This post is not intended to make a statement as to the quality of either film or as to the direction of story content for the franchise. This post is simply a report on Blu Ray sales.
  • Coverage of this thread by Geeks and Gamers:
  • Coverage of this thread by Bastion of Kuul:
  • Coverage of this thread by Desperate Spider:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You have a serious problem. No really, this is psychiatrically a break from reality.

I'm making the point it wasn't as hated as some portray, and you launch into a word salad of garbage tropes having nothing to do with the point I was making.

Don't know who you're arguing with or what your point is, but it's sad.

The majority of people who saw TLJ didn't hate it. Period. Deal with it.

I know...judging things indepentently is viewed by drones of the internet age as “a problem”. That’s why the Russian bots are effective - critical thought is now a bad thing Because it requires the thought necessary to debunk what’s sent out to manipulate people. In this case...it apparently was used to mess with Star Wars on a social front.

Do I hate Star Wars? Or Disney? Absolutely not...I don’t want it to be run pee poorly to the point it crashes.

We don’t agree on these points...that’s ok. But i have valid concerns.

I’ll see you around January 15, 2020...after the bubble bursts. Bring your charts and your Econ textbook 🤓

And by the way...you read “not so good”...

What is hard to follow about my take - just that - of the state of affairs? You don’t have to support that....I know your can’t because it’s critical of Uncle bob and Aunt kathy...but it isn’t difficult to understand.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is correct, as well as the majority of people didn't love it. I believe that a lot of last jedis legacy lies in what ep9 does.

That is probably true...but it’s a disasterous problem for Disney. What built the marketing juggernaut that was Star Wars wasn’t that people were “neutral” in the 1980s...its that masses of people viewed them somewhere between “fun/good”’and “one of a kind”. Few people loathed it and no one protested it...Ewoks aside. That’s why it had legs...

Disney’s film are far closer to getting prequel backlash...

Is that what they had in mind? No way in hell.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I believe most people around here just parrot back the most outrageous thing they heard on you tube and have no clue what really is going on.

Typically I would agree:..
Until i tried to watch this piece of art house film again on Netflix and couldn’t get through ten minutes. Even if you look for “good parts” it’s largely impossible.

Yoda is all wrong...the mannerisms and dialogue. Not to mention the premise.

They had oz and the puppet...and a set...

It’s the dialogue...it’s just wrong. Somebody didn’t get it.

erasure fan1

The three-year extension only runs through 2021, so that wasn't an option.
I could have sworn her original contact was through 2019. I guess it makes more sense then. If all the focus is going to ep9, you aren't going to replace her with a year to go on your biggest film. And no one is taking a one year contract extension, so this was probably they best option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom