Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ep 8). SPOILERS. Plot points revealed and discussed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
REVIEW: “The Director and the Jedi” is an insightful, eye-opening look at how contemporary “Star Wars” movies get made

Wendy Pleakley

REVIEW: “The Director and the Jedi” is an insightful, eye-opening look at how contemporary “Star Wars” movies get made

I'm glad they're still making these types of special features for the Star Wars films. Extensive special features are rarer and rarer these days.

It's not unlike the amazing documentaries that accompanied the prequels, in that they really make you appreciate the effort that went into making the films, regardless of how one feels about the final product.

I totally agree with the review, in how surprising it was just how many things were shot practically. I'm not even sure something like the exploding hut looked better because it was shot practically, but the more they shoot on actual sets, the better the movie will be. The prequels went too far into CG territory to the point they often feel like animated films.

Hopefully even the people who hated the milking scene can at least appreciate the fact that they built that entire creature in physical form, and air lifted the thing to an island for filming.

Wendy Pleakley

I'm bored, so here's some random musings on why I think they should not have killed off Luke.

A franchise should avoid killing off such an important character unless it's important to the story. Han Solo made sense, here not so much. They killed off Captain Kirk in Star Trek, and when it came time for their reboot, they couldn't use him because of that decision. We were denied a potential final pairing of Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner as a result,

Luke presumably could have been used to handle some of the story elements originally planned for Leia.

There may have been a desire to move on from the past, but you can pass the torch without killing the character completely. They did it with Finn/Leia ("don't look at me, follow him"), without removing her from the story. No reason the final film couldn't have focused on Rey/Ben and still have Luke play a part.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
1/2 Star ratings not counted at Rotten Tomatoes. Actual TLJ popcorn score is 24%

"I love stats... so I'll ignore the scientific polls and dive into the minutiae of one unscientific poll."

"I'm into stats, so, I'll point out some people made YouTube rants. Because, that's statistically significant, right?"

"I'm into stats, so, I'll ignore the impact of a vocal and riled minority on an unscientific poll."

"I'm into stats, so, I'll give over half my YouTube video so someone cursing up a storm."

"I'm into stats, so, I'll float the conspiracy theory that Disney scares reviewers into giving their movies only very high scores and ignore the fact that there are plenty of Disney movies that don't get a very high score from reviewers."

Figuratively brain dead.

Mmoore29

Plinkett and Red Letter Media should depart from the corners of the Internet from whence they came. There is nothing remotely resembling analysis in any of their reviews, even when they actually like what they're talking about. Vacuous, superficial looks with misinformation, inventing problems where none exist, throwing the term "plot hole" around so loosely that it means nothing close to what it's meant to represent anymore, and the sheer amount of ego stroking by fans and themselves is ludicrous and infuriating. They, CinemaSins and Doug Walker should be done with their alleged reviews and never poison the wells anymore.

Bairstow

Plinkett and Red Letter Media should depart from the corners of the Internet from whence they came. There is nothing remotely resembling analysis in any of their reviews, even when they actually like what they're talking about. Vacuous, superficial looks with misinformation, inventing problems where none exist, throwing the term "plot hole" around so loosely that it means nothing close to what it's meant to represent anymore, and the sheer amount of ego stroking by fans and themselves is ludicrous and infuriating. They, CinemaSins and Doug Walker should be done with their alleged reviews and never poison the wells anymore.

And to that I say

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Well that movie sucked...so if you can come up with an angle that’s a “good” thing...I’m all 👂🏻

fractal

8131f9fd2d283a31f500c4fa3cf36f28.jpg

tk924

At last! Mr. Plinkett reviews TLJ. It wasn't just my imagination.

Pretty funny and mostly spot on.
I don't own a copy of TLJ ( and never will) so I haven't seen any deleted scenes. My assumptions were Ruin Johnson cut out some really good stuff and left the crap in. Boy oh boy was I wrong. And to think the movie could've have been worse! Those deleted scenes look horrendous. Yikes!
I hope they keep Ruin Johnson as far away as possible from anything remotely associated with Star Wars in the future.

Wendy Pleakley

Do people really spend 58 minutes watching a movie review, just to reinforce their dislike of a movie?

The phrase "get a life", really comes to mind. Talk about reinforcing the stereotype that sci-fi fans are nitpicky nerds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom