Star Wars: The Acolyte

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That what? Star Wars fans want Luke Skywalker?

Barring a recast, that's not happening. Using special effects to do the cameo was a cool moment, but nothing more.

Some fans can't let the past go and just want more and more of the same. Not all.
I actually look at Star Wars more balanced than I post here…as in I’ve believed its resiliency to continue to make money no matter the missteps is almost one of a kind in Hollywood…

But I’m starting to think screwing up/disrespecting Luke Skywalker might have been the killshot/mortal wound.

There is an unlimited amount of articles/interviews/content featuring anyone who has a historical understanding implying or flat out stating what a mistake it was to crap on his character construct.

It’s like insulting Nelson Mandela…you just don’t go there

The fact that movie was shot and all involved weren’t immediately fired (but many were quietly) shows a complete failure of studio management

mysto

As this has progressed, I'm wondering more and more where this 180 mil budget went. I'm not saying it's bad, but in no way I am seeing that large of budget being needed.

These ferraris weren't going to buy themselves. That budget was necessary. I stand behind the decision.

Willmark

I actually look at Star Wars more balanced than I post here…as in I’ve believed its resiliency to continue to make money no matter the missteps is almost one of a kind in Hollywood…

But I’m starting to think screwing up/disrespecting Luke Skywalker might have been the killshot/mortal wound.

There is an unlimited amount of articles/interviews/content featuring anyone who has a historical understanding implying or flat out stating what a mistake it was to crap on his character construct.

It’s like insulting Nelson Mandela…you just don’t go there

The fact that movie was shot and all involved weren’t immediately fired (but many were quietly) shows a complete failure of studio management
The funny part is it doesn’t have to be Luke per se but look at the difference of how the fans reacted in TLJ as opposed to in Mando.

Night and Day.

Yet somehow it’s the fault of fans who “can’t let it go” that are at fault?

Yeah…ok…

I’m not even that huge of a Luke fan, but for the first time Disney Star Wars did something right they then turn around and squander it.

Instead of an epic feeling of what SW was we are apparently getting LH’s mash up of her self insertion in Kill Bill/Frozen meets her fan fiction and we’re supposed to be wowed by this?

I likely start Obi Wan tonight; my expectations are not that high.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The funny part is it doesn’t have to be Luke per se but look at the difference of how the fans reacted in TLJ as opposed to in Mando.

Night and Day.

Yet somehow it’s the fault of fans who “can’t let it go” that are at fault?

Yeah…ok…

I’m not even that huge of a Luke fan, but for the first time Disney Star Wars did something right they then turn around and squander it.

Instead of an epic feeling of what SW was we are apparently getting LH’s mash up of her self insertion in Kill Bill/Frozen meets her fan fiction and we’re supposed to be wowed by this?

I likely start Obi Wan tonight; my expectations are not that high.
Just my opinion…but nobody we’ll ever convince me that the last episode of season 2 of Mando was 101% an apology to fans and mark hamill for last Jedi.

Hell…favreau even kinda hints at it in the behind the scenes stuff…and filoni is less discrete.

It is what it is…now

Willmark

Just my opinion…but nobody we’ll ever convince me that the last episode of season 2 of Mando was 101% an apology to fans and mark hamill for last Jedi.

Hell…favreau even kinda hints at it in the behind the scenes stuff…and filoni is less discrete.

It is what it is…now
That and the fact that first 45 minutes or so of Rise of Skywalker exists to retcon TLJ.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I saw a quote from a writer/director/producer/someone mentioning there was a planned Wookie fight sequence but it was canned due to budget reasons.
Would it have mattered?

They entire point of the show so far has been to do the female protégés in turmoil (bold original thinking) and put an assortment of Jedi on the screen…show nothing about them…and off them in sequence.

Hawkeye_2018

It is what it is…now
The fans were absolutely owed an apology. Set the Luke stuff aside, the ST was a major letdown. The most anticipated trilogy of all time and it's basically done on the fly with no vision our outline

Willmark

Would it have mattered?

They entire point of the show so far has been to do the female protégés in turmoil (bold original thinking) and put an assortment of Jedi on the screen…show nothing about them…and off them in sequence.
With these dastardly Jedi the question is we are supposed to care why? Seriously is anyone even moved by their onscreen deaths?

I’ve often heard by the Disney SW fans that TLJ is “vastly superior” to Rogue One. One of the criticisms being (paraphrasing) “forgettable characters no one cares about.” I disagree as RO did a great job of pulling the viewer in and caring IMO.

The Acolyte? Not so much.

If we assume that’s correct why do we as viewer care about the deaths of these Jedi then? Trinity, sorry Jedi Master Indra is on the scene for like five minutes before getting offed. Again, why do we care about her? If she’s not played by Carrie-Ann Moss do we even talk about it? Same with Levitating Jedi and wookie Jedi killed off screen.

In other words the writer hasn’t given us a reason to care. She’s already portrayed the Jedi poorly so all that is left is “they had it coming?”

Then add the fact that witches aren’t good guys and we get a very modern “everything is shades of gray tale?”

Heck what do I know, I’m apparently one of those SW fans that “just wants the same thing repeated.” /sarcasm

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The fans were absolutely owed an apology. Set the Luke stuff aside, the ST was a major letdown. The most anticipated trilogy of all time and it's basically done on the fly with no vision our outline

I put this 100% on Bob Iger

Not because he’s in charge of movies…because he spent $4.5 billion to access the Star Wars cash cow and he let a collection of idiots run LFL that couldn’t figure what you just said out?

Nobody with any common sense or basic iq running the storefront.

It’s the Hollywood equivalent of hitting on 20. 100% failure guaranteed by design.

Willmark

Never saw it…and from what I read it was worse than anything I could have imagined
It suffers from a lot of things,
Namely having to account for the disjointed nature of the first two movies before it and to cancel out and correct for TLJ.

That aside there were some good ideas but no way they were ever going to happen.

Add to this the mess of Rey and Kylo and it is what it is.

I’m with you, it’s almost unbelievable that Disney just greenlit these things, threw out Lucas’ notes and said “nahhh, we got this!”

They would have been better served by lighting all the money they paid for LF by lighting it on fire. And I’m not talking about Jedi trees of Knowledge or camp fires in space either.

erasure fan1

and put an assortment of Jedi on the screen…show nothing about them…and off them in sequence.
This is a huge issue of mine. Should I care about any of these people who get taken out? No, and how could you? When you have absolutely no investment in them, who cares if they're gone? Say what you will about phantom menace, but after that battle with Maul, and Qui-gon bit it, I was upset. Why, because I was invested in his character.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is a huge issue of mine. Should I care about any of these people who get taken out? No, and how could you? When you have absolutely no investment in them, who cares it they're gone? Say what you will about phantom menace, but after that battle with Maul, and Qui-gon bit it, I was upset. Why, because I was invested in his character.
…but that was because it wasn’t fashionable to make all Jedi evil scum, morons, and devoid of any recognition of the audience back then…which is so “cutting edge” now…

The three OT Jedi were just chivalrous and wise…but that was too testosteroney…

…one was of course a latex puppet with Ms piggy’s hand up his business end…but don’t sweat the minor details

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom