Star Wars: The Acolyte

DCBaker

Premium Member
A new trailer for The Acolyte has been released.

New poster.

IMG_4410.jpeg

Phroobar

Disney showed a ten minute preview of the Acolyte after Episode 1 in theaters. The scene involved Carrie-ann Moss's Jedi fighting the Assassin. The reaction was pretty mixed. I hear one guy say, "It looks like Trinity still knows Kung-Fu." another said, "Oh good another Matrix movie!" I heard one boo and some laugher. This came from a packed theater where everyone cheered and clapped at the end of the movie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney showed a ten minute preview of the Acolyte after Episode 1 in theaters. The scene involved Carrie-ann Moss's Jedi fighting the Assassin. The reaction was pretty mixed. I hear one guy say, "It looks like Trinity still knows Kung-Fu." another said, "Oh good another Matrix movie!" I heard one boo and some laugher. This came from a packed theater where everyone cheered and clapped at the end of the movie.
Ironic considering that movie is still hot garbage…
Contrary to the PR mouthpiece…errr I mean “the Hollywood reporter”…trying to do revisionist Bob takes on it.

Yikes.

I would attribute the boos to a certain company being persona non grata with the fanbase…

DKampy

Really then I might actually like the show considering I wanted to boo in the theater when I saw The Phantom Menace in the theater opening night 25 years ago

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've been hanging out with the Star Wars movie & toy forums lately. I'm getting from them a sense of appreciation for prequels. They joke about them but know it could have been far worst as Disney has shown. They seem to like Andor and Rogue One as far as Disney goes.
The new “appreciation” of the prequels looks twofold to me:

1. The kids - from back in a time when kids still played with toys - are that prime 30-40 ish age group where Star Wars fans morph into adult collectors/nostalgists.
2. The “sequels” were so BAD…and it was disputed incorrectly by Disney “acolytes”…that those movies and the expanded content after looks eons better in comparison now. And they were terrible. Just not as embarrassing in retrospect.

Phroobar

The new “appreciation” of the prequels looks twofold to me:

1. The kids - from back in a time when kids still played with toys - are that prime 30-40 ish age group where Star Wars fans morph into adult collectors/nostalgists.
2. The “sequels” were so BAD…and it was disputed incorrectly by Disney “acolytes”…that those movies and the expanded content after looks eons better in comparison now. And they were terrible. Just not as embarrassing in retrospect.
Sounds about right. I worry about all those people that have Episode 1 boxes stuffed in the attic thinking in 25 years they will make a killing. That stuff has barely up 50% from retail. I'd like to get a Royal Starship someday. That was a great toy.

iu

As for the Acolyte, I could always use random jedi figures for dioramas. No way I'm paying retail on them. That stuff will sit like Obi-Wan and Ashoka stuff.

DKampy

I've been hanging out with the Star Wars movie & toy forums lately. I'm getting from them a sense of appreciation for prequels. They joke about them but know it could have been far worst as Disney has shown. They seem to like Andor and Rogue One as far as Disney goes.
Ehhh… Nothing will ever come close to the original 3… and I know people like to rate each individual trilogy… I am one who views each movie on its own merits…. IMO Rise is the worst of all of Star Wars media… followed closely by Attack of the Clones… however I thought both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi were better than any of the prequels… which causes ST to edge out the PT…. I will say Andor is the best piece of Star Wars media since the original trilogy

It will be interesting to see how people feel about the latest 3 in 20 years… as my niece and nephew recently watched every Star Wars film… their fav was the Disney trilogy… their least favorite was the prequels.., their favorite character in all of Star Wars is Kylo…perhaps it depends on which movies was your generation

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ehhh… Nothing will ever come close to the original 3… and I know people like to rate each individual trilogy… I am one who views each movie on its own merits…. IMO Rise is the worst of all of Star Wars media… followed closely by Attack of the Clones… however I thought both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi were better than any of the prequels… which causes ST to edge out the PT…. I will say Andor is the best piece of Star Wars media since the original trilogy

It will be interesting to see how people feel about the latest 3 in 20 years… as my niece and nephew recently watched every Star Wars film… their fav was the Disney trilogy… their least favorite was the prequels.., their favorite character in all of Star Wars is Kylo…perhaps it depends on which movies was your generation
The problem is we are judging “Miss coal mine” here…

Truly awful movies being sliced apart in gradients. The ST is worse in my opinion because they KNEW not to make mistakes and did it anyway.

And they’re still all bad…5 or 25 years later.

Phroobar

I'm reading the Legacy of the Force books. I can see this is where Disney got most of their ideas for Kylo Ren and the First Order. It is pretty much Civil War between the Skywalkers and Solos starting with Han supporting Corella's exit from the Galactic Alliance and Luke supporting Jedi in the GA. Jacen Solo gets turned to the dark side by Luke's old girl friend Dark Lady Lumiya. He turns the GA into a kind of a First Order and kills various family members. It is a pretty dark story but has far better character development than Disney gave us. Disney missed the opportunity to sell Light Whips.

iu

Hawkeye_2018

The prequels are not good movies. They do, however, have some incredible battle and lightsaber scenes that blow away anything the Disney films have done in that department

Willmark

The prequels are not good movies. They do, however, have some incredible battle and lightsaber scenes that blow away anything the Disney films have done in that department
They are at least recognizable as SW movies, the sequels are simply a mess with Last Jedi as the worst SW of all, worst that AoTC and personally my least favorite/worst movie of all time, not just SW.

Phroobar

The Last Jedi doesn't even make sense with it's plot lines that go no where. I'm looking at you Canto Bight. Rise of Skywalker has moments but is ruined by knowing where the source material came from (Dark Empire I & II) and how they butchered it.

The Prequels should have been about Obi-Wan and how he lost both his Master and his Apprentice to the dark side. Qui-Gon should have been the Count Dooku character. It would have made Obi-Wan a far more tragic character.

DKampy

The problem is we are judging “Miss coal mine” here…

Truly awful movies being sliced apart in gradients. The ST is worse in my opinion because they KNEW not to make mistakes and did it anyway.

And they’re still all bad…5 or 25 years later.
I will say… one of the biggest missteps in all of Star Wars… is how could they not reunite Luke, Leia, and Han in The Force Awakens… even if just one scene

DKampy

The Last Jedi doesn't even make sense with it's plot lines that go no where. I'm looking at you Canto Bight. Rise of Skywalker has moments but is ruined by knowing where the source material came (Dark Empire I & II) from and how they butchered it.
I agree they should of left the entire Canto Bright scene on the cutting room floor… but besides that… I can see why critics and Star War Fans are split.,, it is not a bad stand alone movie… however it is not a good Star Wars movie

Jedijax719

The Last Jedi doesn't even make sense with it's plot lines that go no where. I'm looking at you Canto Bight. Rise of Skywalker has moments but is ruined by knowing where the source material came from (Dark Empire I & II) and how they butchered it.

The Prequels should have been about Obi-Wan and how he lost both his Master and his Apprentice to the dark side. Qui-Gon should have been the Count Dooku character. It would have made Obi-Wan a far more tragic character.
Like them or love them, the prequels all moved the needle forward. The stories for the prequels were just fine and the three movies together all worked for a common narrative. The dialogue was lacking, but the story was there.

TLJ did nothing to move any story forward. You didn't end the movie having developed anything from the beginning. Heck even TROS gave us SOMETHING and tried to right the ship from TLJ. As I always said, TROS was the sequel to an episode 8 we never saw.

Wait, this is the Acolyte thread. How did I get here?

erasure fan1

I'm sure the kids who were 5 to 10yrs old will have a fondness for the sequels. The real question is will the 18 to 40yr old grow an appreciation for them. That happened with the prequels. What helped the prequels is they had a story that felt connected and coherent through the whole trilogy. The sequels just felt like everyone was playing pass the baton. There was no singular vision in my opinion. That's why I don't think I will ever have a fondness for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom