Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

G00fyDad

Star Wars has been in a major part of my life since 1977 when I was five years old and went to see a New Hope in the theaters. I'm not the type of person that dresses up and goes out Star Wars larping but it's still a major factor in my life. This last trip we took to Disney back in October was done specifically so that I could ride this attraction and see this land. When this ride was over with it took everything I had to get out of the vehicle and not just sit in it to try to ride it again. It may not be everyone's cup of tea and if Star Wars doesn't mean as much to you as it does to people like me then you probably have a hard time understanding the emotional impact that a ride like this in a land of this size can have on an individual like me. And that's okay, just don't begrudge anyone else because they truly love this attraction.

Mireille

Premium Member
Did we ever get to the bottom of why the Disney 'influencers' on Youtube were crying with joy after they rode this ?

I still could never work that out.

Do they still cry with joy when they come to the end of the ride ?
I was a huge fan of Star Wars when I was young, 4 when the original first came out, and saw the first trilogy in the theaters. The prequels were disappointing and the sequels were fine. I don't know that I would call myself a fan any more, but I can still find enjoyment in the original movies and the occasional new series on Disney+. I was not moved to tears by RotR but I did find it very impressive and almost overwhelming, the size and scope of the ride. I can see how fans could be moved to tears the first time seeing it.

SpectreJordan

Star Wars has been in a major part of my life since 1977 when I was five years old and went to see a New Hope in the theaters. I'm not the type of person that dresses up and goes out Star Wars larping but it's still a major factor in my life. This last trip we took to Disney back in October was done specifically so that I could ride this attraction and see this land. When this ride was over with it took everything I had to get out of the vehicle and not just sit in it to try to ride it again. It may not be everyone's cup of tea and if Star Wars doesn't mean as much to you as it does to people like me then you probably have a hard time understanding the emotional impact that a ride like this in a land of this size can have on an individual like me. And that's okay, just don't begrudge anyone else because they truly love this attraction.
This is exactly how I feel about it too. It's the most immersive theme park ride out there. Star Wars has an intense emotional effect on those who truly love it, so if you're not at that level of fandom then of course you won't have tears in your eyes after the ride.

I can get emotional on Kilimanjaro Safaris & the Feathered Friends show because of how much I love animals. If you don't love animals to that level then you wouldn't get that reaction there either.

I'm a casual Harry Potter fan so those attractions don't get to me like Star Wars or animals do, but I'd absolutely understand if someone got emotional in those lands.

Making fun of anyone who gets emotional over something like this is cringey & makes you look like an edgelord. We get it, you're not happy with modern Disney; you can crap on them all you want, but making fun of those who do like it is stupid.

Rich Brownn

This is exactly how I feel about it too. It's the most immersive theme park ride out there. Star Wars has an intense emotional effect on those who truly love it, so if you're not at that level of fandom then of course you won't have tears in your eyes after the ride.

I can get emotional on Kilimanjaro Safaris & the Feathered Friends show because of how much I love animals. If you don't love animals to that level then you wouldn't get that reaction there either.

I'm a casual Harry Potter fan so those attractions don't get to me like Star Wars or animals do, but I'd absolutely understand if someone got emotional in those lands.

Making fun of anyone who gets emotional over something like this is cringey & makes you look like an edgelord. We get it, you're not happy with modern Disney; you can crap on them all you want, but making fun of those who do like it is stupid.
When I worked the Hogwarts Express, I'd see people literally break down in tears when they walked into Diagon Alley, and also when the train pulled in.

TrainsOfDisney

this ride is great and really a must do. however, i can't help but feel there is something missing that would definitively make the top attraction in all of Disney
Physical effects would help a lot…. That’s what makes Spider-Man so good - the mix of digital and physical effects.

A fog filled room with REAL lasers would be incredible for example.

No Name

I’d say if there’s anything Rise of the Resistance is missing it’s strong emotion. Unlike something like Flight of Passage, I think most people’s reaction is more being wowed by it and less being moved emotionally, and I think our fearless leader Steve wrote something similar in his initial review (that I can’t find).

cjkeating

I’d say if there’s anything Rise of the Resistance is missing it’s strong emotion. Unlike something like Flight of Passage, I think most people’s reaction is more being wowed by it and less being moved emotionally, and I think our fearless leader Steve wrote something similar in his initial review (that I can’t find).
For an attraction that is an "active" experience I feel like it comes across feeling very "passive" especially once you get into the ride vehicle. I feel like I have no input and we're just sat there being rescued watching it all happen. [As an aside I still like the ride and think it's the most impressive attraction at DHS.]

Dinosaur which in a weird way I think is the most comparable attraction to ROTR at WDW in that it you are part of the story I always feel very involved in, is it because you are given a mission that "you" need to find the dinosaur and "you" are in danger and might not make it out in time? Also Flight of Passage the set up that you are going on a banshee and connecting to an Avatar really works.

TrainsOfDisney

Dinosaur which in a weird way I think is the most comparable attraction to ROTR at WDW in that it you are part of the story I always feel very involved in, is it because you are given a mission that "you" need to find the dinosaur and "you" are in danger and might not make it out in time?
In California you can ride Rise and Indiana Jones back to back and to me there’s no comparison that Indy is a more exciting and better designed attraction.

Rise is good…. But the actual ride feels very sterile. The best moments are before you get into the ride vehicle.

DonniePeverley

It also lacks a tad bit of 'thrill'.

Now i am not talking about loop dee loop, hanging upside down, or going 100mph - but an attraction with a few thrills enducing some screams just gives it that little kick. RoR has a very small drop, but that's about it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It also lacks a tad bit of 'thrill'.

Now i am not talking about loop dee loop, hanging upside down, or going 100mph - but an attraction with a few thrills enducing some screams just gives it that little kick. RoR has a very small drop, but that's about it.
It's meant to be a family ride. You want thrills? Go to Universal.

SpectreJordan

I feel the thing this ride elicits the most is a sense of fun & adventure. When I ride it, I feel like I'm in the scenes in the original movie where Luke/Leia/Han/Chewie are running around the Death Star & dodging Stormtroopers. Those scenes are quintessential Star Wars to me & this ride captures that feeling perfectly.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's meant to be a family ride. You want thrills? Go to Universal.
Despite their current TV spots?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Despite their current TV spots?

Test Trak is a thrill ride.

Going 60 mph in a convertible.

Thrilling!!

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom