HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Test Trak is a thrill ride.

Going 60 mph in a convertible.

Thrilling!!

;)
64.8-64.9mph, to be exact. ;)

Anywho... The ride is good, it just seems to lack ... something ... to make it elite. Perhaps it is physical effects, or an emotional tie to something. I can't quite put my finger on it. Not that I wouldn't or won't ride it, but the wait has to be short enough. Otherwise I'm willing to wait an hour to ride ToT, because that right there is damn-near perfection.

TrainsOfDisney

Remember when Kilimanjaro Safaris has poacher arc? Then Iger went and removed it because it was too mature ☹️
The tipping bridge mid-way through the attraction was a very fun mild thrill and the finale “chase” scene when all effects were working including the moving poachers jeep, mist, gunshots, and geysers - it all created a very “Disney” experience.

BlakeW39

The tipping bridge mid-way through the attraction was a very fun mild thrill and the finale “chase” scene when all effects were working including the moving poachers jeep, mist, gunshots, and geysers - it all created a very “Disney” experience.

Not to mention the poacher camp, dialogue with Simba-1, Big Red and Little Red, and the African music they played when you ride by the elephants. All of it completely removed because Iger wanted to pander to entitled parents and their small children. Same thing happened with DINOSAUR when he completely ruined the ride by turning the lights on and painting the dinosaurs in neon so the ride wasn't scary anymore.

Now combine this with all the broken effects on Everest...and under Iger's tenure we've seen all of the OG DAK E-tickets cut back in some major way that neuters them and hurts guest enjoyment. Only one you can maybe argue is that now the safari is focused on being a safari, but I still feel that poacher stuff was integral to the design of the original attraction.

UNCgolf

Remember when Kilimanjaro Safaris had the poacher arc? Then Iger went and removed it because it was too mature ☹️

Removing it actually improved the ride. I wasn't expecting that -- I wasn't happy when they said they were removing it -- but once it was gone I realized it turned the actual animals into background set dressing. I think it's a better attraction now that it just focuses on experiencing/learning about them.

Before, it was a theme park ride that used real animals as a backdrop. Now it's a celebration of the animals themselves. The original storyline with all of the effects would be better as a dark ride that didn't feature real animals.

I agree that the other older DAK attractions have been diminished in various ways, though. Kali River Rapids was never great (always much too short) but it was a better attraction when all the original effects were working.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

Removing it actually improved the ride. I wasn't expecting that -- I wasn't happy when they said they were removing it -- but once it was gone I realized it turned the actual animals into background set dressing. I think it's a better attraction now that it just focuses on the experiencing/learning about them.

Before, it was a theme park ride that used real animals as a backdrop. Now it's a celebration of the animals themselves. The original storyline with all of the effects would be better as a dark ride that didn't feature real animals.

I agree that the other older DAK attractions have been diminished in various ways, though. Kali River Rapids was never great (always much too short) but it was a better attraction when all the original effects were working.

Yeah fair enough. Kilimanjaro Safaris may be better off as the safari attraction it is today. I truly believe it is one of the most unique theme park attractions I have ever been on and one of the greatest Disney has ever created. The way it is themed and the way it folds into the lore of the surrounding Harambe Village as the Harambe Wildlife Reserve... gold. Dinosaur and Everest though...and good point on Kali as well. When were those effects last working. Tbh I can't even remember the last time that ride worked. It could have done with some more elaborate show scenes imo to make it worth riding.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ah, the good ol' days when in the queue, they taught you the "African" word for things. I always wondered what those word would be when translated into European or Asian.

DonniePeverley

Removing it actually improved the ride. I wasn't expecting that -- I wasn't happy when they said they were removing it -- but once it was gone I realized it turned the actual animals into background set dressing. I think it's a better attraction now that it just focuses on experiencing/learning about them.

Opinions and all that. But that opinion is utter nonsense.

Last edited:

Bleed0range

It also lacks a tad bit of 'thrill'.

Now i am not talking about loop dee loop, hanging upside down, or going 100mph - but an attraction with a few thrills enducing some screams just gives it that little kick. RoR has a very small drop, but that's about it.

I’m sitting here laughing at how everyone is now criticizing arguably one of the finest things to come out of WDI. It’s a dark ride, with some amazing effects (the laser blast holes for example), tons of physical set (not screens), several varying effects, animatronics AND…. They put a drop in there, small as it is.

As a huge Disney and SW fan, this is a fantastic ride. Is it perfect? No, but nothing is. It’s only sin is being a part of the lackluster sequel trilogy. But it feels more Star Wars than anything else they’ve done. Even the falcon ride.

DonniePeverley

I’m sitting here laughing at how everyone is now criticizing arguably one of the finest things to come out of WDI. It’s a dark ride, with some amazing effects (the laser blast holes for example), tons of physical set (not screens), several varying effects, animatronics AND…. They put a drop in there, small as it is.

As a huge Disney and SW fan, this is a fantastic ride. Is it perfect? No, but nothing is. It’s only sin is being a part of the lackluster sequel trilogy. But it feels more Star Wars than anything else they’ve done. Even the falcon ride.

Utter nonsense. The world is full of opinions, and you are entitled to yours. Don't dictate to others how they should feel.

RoTR is a good attraction - but (like you said) it's not perfect and could have been better (in my opinion).

Bleed0range

Utter nonsense. The world is full of opinions, and you are entitled to yours. Don't dictate to others how they should feel.

RoTR is a good attraction - but (like you said) it's not perfect and could have been better (in my opinion).

Now I’m laughing at how butt hurt you sound about it. I never said you aren’t entitled to your opinion. I am more amused by how fans here complain about just about anything though. I saw someone saying it needs more physical elements when it has hardly any screens and is full of mostly physical elements including real giant AT-ATs.

Being overly cynical is not an attractive trait of anyone. Especially where magic is involved.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m sitting here laughing at how everyone is now criticizing arguably one of the finest things to come out of WDI.
I’d say Radiator Springs Racers, Indiana Jones, Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion all win out here.

As a total experience - Rise is very cool. But for me the “jaw-drop” moments are before the actual ride, not during.

Bleed0range

I’d say Radiator Springs Racers, Indiana Jones, Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion all win out here.

As a total experience - Rise is very cool. But for me the “jaw-drop” moments are before the actual ride, not during.

This is why I used the qualifier, “one of,” not “the best.”

DonniePeverley

Now I’m laughing at how butt hurt you sound about it. I never said you aren’t entitled to your opinion. I am more amused by how fans here complain about just about anything though. I saw someone saying it needs more physical elements when it has hardly any screens and is full of mostly physical elements including real giant AT-ATs.

Being overly cynical is not an attractive trait of anyone. Especially where magic is involved.

The first half of the attraction is pretty much viewing a screen on the spaceship.

Bocabear

Pirates is an E ticket ride...even with the small drop and the "Cliff Notes" setup... I wish we had gotten a longer version like Disneyland or better yet the expanded Disneyland Paris version, but we didn't... It would be nice to see them one day figure out a way to expand the experience with a restaurant float-through prologue, but we all know that would never happen...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom