Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

RobWDW1971

The rerouting of the Rivers of America turned out very well. It adds theming and scenery to the riverboat and Railroad and it connects the park better. Now to use that much space for what Galaxies Edge currently is... that’s questionable.

My understanding is... The alternative at Disneyland was to build The e-ticket where the subs and autopia are. I wouldn’t have wanted to see that.
Putting ROTR where the subs/autopia sits with the Falcon where the old Carousel of Progress building making it the "weenie" to draw people into the land would have been brilliant. Get all of the bang for the buck, allows Star Wars characters from all past, current, and future eras to be there and can still live with other Tomorrowland ideas just like Star Tours has done for 30+ years. The millions it cost to reroute that river was a complete waste.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Putting ROTR where the subs/autopia sits with the Falcon where the old Carousel of Progress building making it the "weenie" to draw people into the land would have been brilliant. Get all of the band for the buck, allows Star Wars characters from all past, current, and future eras to be there and can still live with other Tomorrowland ideas just like Star Tours has done for 30+ years. The millions it cost to reroute that river was a complete waste.

Actually.... you’re not wrong. Financially that would have been by far the best deal. Who decided to change the original plan? Iger?

Giss Neric

The most questionable thing for me is why build two lands in one country? Same thing with building Wizarding World. Can't afford to travel coast to coast is a lame excuse.

yensidtlaw1969

Putting ROTR where the subs/autopia sits with the Falcon where the old Carousel of Progress building making it the "weenie" to draw people into the land would have been brilliant. Get all of the bang for the buck, allows Star Wars characters from all past, current, and future eras to be there and can still live with other Tomorrowland ideas just like Star Tours has done for 30+ years. The millions it cost to reroute that river was a complete waste.
Wasn't the proposal that Tomorrowland would essentially be turned into Star Wars Land? They may still have imposed a rigid timeline that doesn't permit past, present, and future characters in one space . . . while also depriving the park of one of its quintessential lands.

I don't think Galaxy's Edge is perfect (especially not in Disneyland - it's easier to forgive the amount of space it takes up in Florida, but at tiny DL it seems massively wasteful), but if it had to come to DL I'm glad we live in the timeline where it went where it did instead of taking Tomorrowland from us. Even with the misgivings I have about it and how it's impacted the park.

TrainsOfDisney

I don't think Galaxy's Edge is perfect (especially not in Disneyland - it's easier to forgive the amount of space it takes up in Florida, but at tiny DL it seems massively wasteful), but if it had to come to DL I'm glad we live in the timeline where it went where it did instead of taking Tomorrowland from us. Even with the misgivings I have about it and how it's impacted the park.

I can forgive it easier in California where it was a total addition and replaced nothing except a petting zoo.

In Florida, I feel like we lost a lot at DHS. Star Wars is a nice addition but the park has lost so much of its identity now.

On one hand I agree, losing Tomorrowland for Star Wars at Disneyland would have been hard..... but the current Tomorrowland is pretty depressing there and I don’t see the subs being around much longer anyways....

yensidtlaw1969

I can forgive it easier in California where it was a total addition and replaced nothing except a petting zoo.

In Florida, I feel like we lost a lot at DHS. Star Wars is a nice addition but the park has lost so much of its identity now.

On one hand I agree, losing Tomorrowland for Star Wars at Disneyland would have been hard..... but the current Tomorrowland is pretty depressing there and I don’t see the subs being around much longer anyways....
I do agree that we lost a lot at DHS. The most painful is its sense of place. If I was visiting DHS for the first time in my life I feel like the park would have a hard time endearing itself to me outside of its handful of great attractions. The park itself seems to know less than ever what it actually wants to be. This hurts because I remember it all through the 90's. The glitz and the glitter of Hollywood was real and the backstage side of things was engrossing, insightful, and compelling. It managed to create a strong and distinct identity within the Disney portfolio of places even despite the park being littered with soundstage-looking buildings because everything from attractions to entertainment to atmosphere to food in the park was built on the bedrock of a strong THEME. Something this THEME PARK seems to be lacking these days. Funny how that works. But I'd also argue that the park lost its identity before Galaxy's Edge was in the pipeline. Not that it justifies anything - I think GE should have been a total genuine expansion of the DHS footprint. But at least GE doesn't preclude DHS from future expansion, is mostly what I was getting at. There's more land there if they want it.

I'll also agree that Tomorrowland at Disneyland is in desperate need of love - but I'd also argue that it's more than deserving of that love. Wholesale replacement of the land with Star Wars would be a cop-out on a massive scale, and one Disneyland would have a hard time living down. Look how hard a time it's having living down Galaxy's Edge on barely-used land! But I think some of the horror I feel walking around Batuu West is based in the idea that the rest of the park manages to fit seemingly 10 attractions in a similar sized footprint and now has instead dedicated its largest expansion pad to merely 2, and Smuggler's Run ain't even that great. After Runaway Railway opens in Toontown I worry DL will be at the point where we only ever see new things added by losing things we love, which makes the wide open vistas of Galaxy's Edge hurt that much more. Somewhere down the line we'll say we traded a Disneyland Classic for rocky expanses in the Old Outpost and we won't be glad for it.

I personally hope that we aren't on the verge of losing the subs, though I realize there are a lot of reasons to believe we might be. I wish that Nemo had done a better job of maximizing on their potential - perplexingly, the ride did somehow seem more exciting in its earlier incarnation than it does now. But this is the state DL seems to be in now, that there's so little space left to play with that a ride as unique in the world as the Subs inches closer to the chopping block. I wish they'd try another incarnation of it before doing away with it forever. Nemo seemed to wear out his welcome almost instantly, and he wasn't the thing anyone was excited about with the redress anyway. It was about getting the chance to ride the unique Disneyland Submarines again, and when we say goodbye to that it will most certainly be forever this time. I wish we didn't have to, since the thing that works best about the ride is still in place and working better than ever, it's the content that needs a revision.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The rerouting of the Rivers of America turned out very well. It adds theming and scenery to the riverboat and Railroad and it connects the park better.
I dare say there are thousands and thousands I haven’t talked to, but those locals I do know dislike what was done to the RoA. I have to say it’s plain... odd. The finishes are spot on but the project as a whole seems it should have gone elsewhere. I’ve said it before, the franchise was the last best hope for a 3rd gate in Anaheim. IMO.

The reception the land received compared to expectations seems to somewhat back this up.

Josh Hendy

The most questionable thing for me is why build two lands in one country? Same thing with building Wizarding World. Can't afford to travel coast to coast is a lame excuse.
I don't mind HP land because in those stories when it comes to iconic locations you have Hogwarts and ... Hogwarts.

Cloning GE however is a real cheap-out. An obscure planet unknown to anyone, so let's build 2 identical versions in the same country? Are they going to clone it again in Tokyo and Shanghai? No what am I saying, the OLC and CCP would never tolerate a mere clone.

Disclaimer: that's kind of a whiny complaint since I and millions of other people are unlikely to visit both US Disney's ... but c'mon where are we if the Japanese and Chinese investors have far more interest in unique attractions than the parent company itself?

yensidtlaw1969

I don't mind HP land because in those stories when it comes to iconic locations you have Hogwarts and ... Hogwarts.

Cloning GE however is a real cheap-out. An obscure planet unknown to anyone, so let's build 2 identical versions in the same country? Are they going to clone it again in Tokyo and Shanghai? No what am I saying, the OLC and CCP would never tolerate a mere clone.

Disclaimer: that's kind of a whiny complaint since I and millions of other people are unlikely to visit both US Disney's ... but c'mon where are we if the Japanese and Chinese investors have far more interest in unique attractions than the parent company itself?
It does seem strange to me that they went to the trouble to build two of them stateside - it makes perfect sense (by Disney's logic) to build this at Hollywood Studios, but I'm not sure I get why the need was so pressing to bring with all its trappings to DL.

But then, I'm also someone who feels a little perplexed by the way Disney seems to insist on building out Disneyland these days. Did the park absolutely need Galaxy's Edge with its massive footprint? Or Runway Railway with ITS massive footprint?? These seem like such strange fits for Disneyland both literally and figuratively. Scale is a statement Disneyland needs to make carefully, and it seems like someone missed the memo.

Not to mention the rumors of a Fantasyland redo that brings in a big Frozen/Beauty and the Beast ride. How can they possibly feel the need to rework the still-beautiful '83 Fantasyland redo before the dismal-from-day-one '98 Tomorrowland that's been only lightly prodded with a stick in the last 22 years? I like seeing Disneyland add new rides as much as the next person, but their "angle" seems almost incomprehensible today. How did Railway not go to DCA? How did GE not justify a new gate - even a mini one? And is it really worth tearing down the historic Monorail Ramble to build a dark ride that feels too big for the charming park that is Disneyland? Or worse, for a clone of Frozen Ever After that just isn't that big a deal?

Does the needle need to be moved at Disneyland THAT much? And does it really need the love more than DCA, or DHS (which is still criminally underbuilt even after its "Extreme Makeover")? Their priorities just seem sooo out of whack.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It does seem strange to me that they went to the trouble to build two of them stateside - it makes perfect sense (by Disney's logic) to build this at Hollywood Studios, but I'm not sure I get why the need was so pressing to bring with all its trappings to DL.

But then, I'm also someone who feels a little perplexed by the way Disney seems to insist on building out Disneyland these days. Did the park absolutely need Galaxy's Edge with its massive footprint? Or Runway Railway with ITS massive footprint?? These seem like such strange fits for Disneyland both literally and figuratively. Scale is a statement Disneyland needs to make carefully, and it seems like someone missed the memo.

Not to mention the rumors of a Fantasyland redo that brings in a big Frozen/Beauty and the Beast ride. How can they possibly feel the need to rework the still-beautiful '83 Fantasyland redo before the dismal-from-day-one '98 Tomorrowland that's been only lightly prodded with a stick in the last 22 years? I like seeing Disneyland add new rides as much as the next person, but their "angle" seems almost incomprehensible today. How did Railway not go to DCA? How did GE not justify a new gate - even a mini one? And is it really worth tearing down the historic Monorail Ramble to build a dark ride that feels too big for the charming park that is Disneyland? Or worse, for a clone of Frozen Ever After that just isn't that big a deal?

Does the needle need to be moved at Disneyland THAT much? And does it really need the love more than DCA, or DHS (which is still criminally underbuilt even after its "Extreme Makeover")? Their priorities just seem sooo out of whack.
You do know the land was designed for Disneyland right? it was going to be disneyland only then they decided to duplicate it in florida and they had to change the layout for the original layout was designed for Disneyland. you guys are lucky you got it out there at all.

TrainsOfDisney

You do know the land was designed for Disneyland right? it was going to be disneyland only then they decided to duplicate it in florida and they had to change the layout for the original layout was designed for Disneyland. you guys are lucky you got it out there at all.

I’m not sure what you mean... originally Star Wars expansion was going to be in Tomorrowland in DL and the area behind star tour in dhs. The expansion was always going to be on both coasts.

Giss Neric

They should have built one OT Galaxy's Edge and NT Galaxy's Edge in my opinion with Smugglers Run being the same but the trackless dark ride should be completely different experiences. I personally would save to visit both and it would be fun to compare Darth Vader's ride to Kylo Ren's ride.

yensidtlaw1969

Runaway was going in DCA yes.

And both coasts were due to get a Star Wars Land way before GE.
For sure - I just sort of wonder why. It clearly doesn't seem to have worked out for them the way they'd hoped, but even from when it was announced it seemed like GE was an odd fit for Disneyland.

They must have thought demand was going to be so high that one land on one coast couldn't possibly be enough . . . ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom