Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

britain

DLR attendance has been low, and there is an argument that a significant thrill ride (i.e. intense roller coaster) would be a solid solution. That's where the pitch is coming from within the company for a Galaxy's Edge expansion.

Dinoland Coaster is not on the horizon as far as I know. Brazil is gone. Disney would rather work with Chile or some other South American country at this point. Avatar is very unlikely to get another E-Ticket... likely C or lower. Coco may be sooner than you think.

No variant of Tron is on the way. It requires far, far too much land.

Theme parks will continue to be more and more excellent as long as technology and economies grow.

Any hint to what the theme of said SW roller coaster would be? You could be as cryptic as you’d like.

IveBeenJack

Sad but true.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHY I SHOW SCREEN RECORDINGS OF THIS FORUM IN MY VIDEOS, with the name of the thread, and often times say the name of the user in the video.

I don't get why others can't cite the original source... it's what constitutes actual journalism (not like I think I'm a journalist 😂 I'm just some YouTuber guy). But this whole "heard it hear first" and "I have so many scoops" mentality from other bloggers and YouTubers, is quite frankly childish.

doctornick

I've heard a walk-thru faux veterinary care center is the most likely addition. The big draw would be coming face to face with a massive Toruk animatronic at the end. Other animatronics would be on display as well (under the guise of humans caring for the fauna of Pandora), but the Toruk is where the big money would go.

Can I just say that I terribly wish this to be true. I think that is exactly the right type of attraction needed both for Pandora and DAK as a whole. I would presume it would be indoors, so that would mean another cool place to be out of the sun - and one you can take your time in if you wish. It would also be a nice compliment to the animal trails in the rest of the park.

Pandora is well done, but it missed out by not having interation with the megafauna of the world - which was an interesting part of the movie. Could have been done on NRJ if it were longer/bigger by adding some AAs but alas no. Putting a walk through attraction like this would enhance the land and fit in well with the conceit of the environment.

BrianLo

So since the Mandalorian would be a senior citizen at the time of Batuu, I assume this is the first step to relax the needless time/space lock WDI created.

He’d be about 60 years in canon and ‘Baby Yoda‘ would be a toddler.

I don’t see this as an issue whether they chose to keep the timeline or aschew it. Neither would have to ‘look’ all that different to guests and still be ‘25 years older’. Nor do I expect either would be preforming a stunt show where their mobility would be under questioning.

The bigger problem than how old they are, is that it compromises the shows integrity by having them both alive, together and well 25 years later.

Animaniac93-98

Thanks for the diagram. I can give you a basic outline with this. So, the new Coco overlay would have you welcomed to Dia de los Muertos celebration at the loading dock, with a "radio program" quietly playing about De La Cruz playing as you round the volcano. F is the first scene that features Miguel playing in his attic. This is followed by screens of Miguel feuding with is grandmother, and then of him playing De la Cruz' guitar. A fog screen with projected marigold petals flowing downward is used to transport guests into the land of the muertos. H is Miguel meeting Victor, followed by a large budget "Poco Loco" scene. The only thing kept is a repurposed use of divers on a cliff scene, which is largely a gesture to the ride's past. The ride skips then to Miguel meeting De La Cruz and finding out the truth in L. Boats then travel through a door which opens into Coco with Miguel, remembering Victor and singing Recuerdame together. Passing through another door, the rest of the former finale is used for Miguel's family celebrating Dia de los Muertos with all the deceased family gathered together. The boats finish by passing by Dante. As boats prepare to unload, a new radio station show is playing about the music of Victor Rivera with a new rendition of Recuerdame recorded just for the ride.

This is the proposed Epcot version.

👎

No more book report dark rides, please.

doctornick

He’d be about 60 years in canon and ‘Baby Yoda‘ would be a toddler.

I don’t see this as an issue whether they chose to keep the timeline or aschew it. Neither would have to ‘look’ all that different to guests and still be ‘25 years older’. Nor do I expect either would be preforming a stunt show where their mobility would be under questioning.

The bigger problem than how old they are, is that it compromises the shows integrity by having them both alive, together and well 25 years later.

Honestly, since we are talking about MFSR, you could integrate Mandalorian elements without touching the timeline. I'm thinking an alternative mission where you encounter/fight the Razor Crest. Maybe you communicate via hologram with "the" Mandarorian piloting the ship, wearing armor - which could be the show's title character but older or could just be another person in such armor. I don't see how you'd be meeting baby Yoda or anything while flying the MF.

Now, a M&G with Mando and the Child? Different story in terms of the timeline.

RobWDW1971

Honestly, since we are talking about MFSR, you could integrate Mandalorian elements without touching the timeline. I'm thinking an alternative mission where you encounter/fight the Razor Crest. Maybe you communicate via hologram with "the" Mandarorian piloting the ship, wearing armor - which could be the show's title character but older or could just be another person in such armor. I don't see how you'd be meeting baby Yoda or anything while flying the MF.

Now, a M&G with Mando and the Child? Different story in terms of the timeline.
Or.......just punt on the nonsensical time/place constraints and we’ll never have to have these silly conversations ever again. ;)

CM.X777

2) Galaxy's Edge itself is not receiving the same stellar reviews and is likely to see changes over time at DHS. Food sales are lower than desired (which says something in DHS where there are few food options). Retail sales are also lower than needed. Guest interaction with Rey is not what they'd like to see either, with less participation compared to Chewbacca and Storm Troopers. And everybody from management up knows not a single guest usually knows who Vi Moradi is, and those who do don't care.

So I can only speak to DL's version, but I know SWGE is the most profitable land in Disneyland from a stores standpoint. So that is not true for DL.

So I made a interesting observation. In a video of DLs RotR, the inner door of the drop elevator doesn't close as seen here:
While in WDW, it does. You see the outer door close followed by the inner:
@marni1971, any thoughts on this? I would think it'd throw an error and not allow the ride to proceed but it obviously isn't hurting anything in this condition. Also, it's neat to "see" the simulator in motion from the inside.
If that door doesn't close, it's a big no-no. The fact that it's happening on a regular basis enough to be in multiple videos, shows you just how much they're letting slide to keep the ride going.

Again I'm sorry but wrong, I asked a friend that works Rise about this. They said that inner roll up door is only there for show purposes. So not a "big no no". There have been sensor issues with the door, so it's disabled for the time being until it's fix. For a thing that is just there to hide some of the mechanics of the ride, and that you have to completely look away from the action to even notice, it's not a big deal.

WDW Pro

Where is Coco being considered for DLR?

California Adventure.

How in the world there was not a C-3P0 and R2-D2 (+/- BB-8) meet and greet at opening totally befuddles me. It could even be "in theme" but having the premise be that theyare giving you a mission (maybe unlocking something to do on the play app).

Lucasfilm Story Group.

So I can only speak to DL's version, but I know SWGE is the most profitable land in Disneyland from a stores standpoint. So that is not true for DL.

I'm not aware of any accounting brackets within Disney that categorize retail by "land". So I have no idea how you would come up with that statement. I also can tell you that Main Street retail stores dwarf all other retail, and so although I don't have a "land" category to objectively state real numbers, logic dictates that there's no way your statement is accurate.

Again I'm sorry but wrong, I asked a friend that works Rise about this. They said that inner roll up door is only there for show purposes. So not a "big no no". There have been sensor issues with the door, so it's disabled for the time being until it's fix. For a thing that is just there to hide some of the mechanics of the ride, and that you have to completely look away from the action to even notice, it's not a big deal.

Does your friend work with maintenance on the ride? Do you notice that I didn't mention "safety" as the reason for the big no-no? The pdf for the door specifically refers to its purpose as to prevent potential debris from entering the ride vehicle area. If any small piece of rock, debris, etc, enters the elevator due to the door not being closed, the ride vehicle's pathing can be altered such that it misses a puck and locks down the ride. If the door was only for show purposes, the shaft concrete would have just been painted black instead.

Magenta Panther

Updates time:

1) Thus far Rise of the Resistance is seen as a massive success as far as quality of experience is concerned. Thousands of people are showing up every day at 7 am and pressing Join Boarding Group like mad to try to experience the ride. Attendance at Hollywood Studios is up hugely year-to-year. So in that regard, mission accomplished (although Disneyland is a different beast).

2) Galaxy's Edge itself is not receiving the same stellar reviews and is likely to see changes over time at DHS. Food sales are lower than desired (which says something in DHS where there are few food options). Retail sales are also lower than needed. Guest interaction with Rey is not what they'd like to see either, with less participation compared to Chewbacca and Storm Troopers. And everybody from management up knows not a single guest usually knows who Vi Moradi is, and those who do don't care.

3) With The Force Awakens as a barometer, Disney is now ready to make significant changes to the Star Wars brand considering The Rise of Skywalker will end up pulling around half the capital of The Force Awakens. This continues to the downward trajectory, opposite of the Marvel brand. Star Wars merchandise continues to significantly underperform except for Original Trilogy and The Child merchandise. Jon Favreau looks to take over Lucasfilm once Kathleen Kennedy's contract is over, with Dave Filoni taking over as Lucasfilm Creative Lead. Iger has already made it known The Mandalorian is the formula going forward, and you can expect to see the Disney trilogy emphasized less and less as time goes on. This has little to do with agendas other than the Disney trilogy is proving to be less and less profitable. As a result, expect to see MUCH MORE of the Mandalorian in Galaxy's Edge by September of this year. C3P0 and R2D2 Meet and Greets are also planned, and those could be as soon as May.

4) Decisions will be made in February as to how and when expansions are to take place with Galaxy's Edge. The actual decisions may be hard to get out into the public sphere. Leaks have been very hard to get as of late, and even I have had to curtail posts to a great extent (and in so small part due to media using my posts as if they have an inside source other than reading my statements -- kudos to those who have been honest in reporting what I've said while attributing truthfully). When YouTubers and bloggers post my information as if they themselves gathered the information, it makes sources go dark.

5) Downtime for Rise of the Resistance is somewhere in the ballpark of 40%... and that's with non-stop maintenance at night to keep it running. Some of the issues are that certain vehicles repeatedly miss sensors, resulting in ride shutdowns. Elevators sometimes have issues similar to Tower of Terror, which lock down the entire ride. Basically, there are just so many technologies in the ride that have to work and can't be covered in the event of malfunction, that Rise of the Resistance represents the anti-redundancy model for attraction design.

6) Smuggler's Run continues to receive poor guest reviews, which is exacerbated by guests having long queue times at DHS to ride it. It is generally agreed that at the February meeting, Smuggler's Run will receive a go-ahead for a new replacement mission which will feature characters from The Mandalorian. Storyboards and concepts for this have already been ordered.

7) Blue Milk changes are coming in June-July. Expect the fruitiness to be toned down a bit.

8) Cameron is pushing for an expansion for Pandora at Animal Kingdom to coincide with the new films coming out. The proposed new developments would take place south of the drum circle, taking up part of cast parking. I'm told this development would be mostly indoor, with high priority to absorb large numbers of people. This option is in competition with expansions at Galaxy's Edge in both DHS and DLR, so it will be interesting to see what wins out.

To begin with: nuts to Pandora.

Secondly, is there the slightest chance that the GOOD characters - Luke, Leia, and Han (and I don't mean Old Man Han or the aged versions of the other characters) will ever appear in SW land? Because otherwise, nuts to it too.

WDW Pro

To begin with: nuts to Pandora.

Secondly, is there the slightest chance that the GOOD characters - Luke, Leia, and Han (and I don't mean Old Man Han or the aged versions of the other characters) will ever appear in SW land? Because otherwise, nuts to it too.

In the short term, no. In 2-5 years, the chances get higher with every year. The downward trajectory for the Disney trilogy in ticket sales and merchandise sales means that Disney brings in less revenue the longer they hold to it. However, there is a meeting in February to make initial determinations about GE for the next 2 years. With the popularity of RotR, I don't foresee changes to the focus being the Disney trilogy. But beyond that, it seems that neither the Prequels (other than Darth Maul and Obi Wan) nor the Disney Trilogy will hold comparable interest to the OT. Disney will go where the money is, and I can't see the Disney Trilogy being a long-term source for strong revenue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, you've boarded guests, but you stopped the queue system 2 hours prior to closing, which is the same as putting the cast member at the end of the line on an attraction at park closing. Other attractions are running their queue to closing, RotR is running the queue until 2 hours prior to closing.

They don't stop the queue... people are still entering (unlike your comparison when the line is cut off). They simply stop calling additional groups. It's not using the time to drain the people already in line... the cutoff is simply preventing the virtual pool of rides from growing further. You could say they are cutting off the virtual queue... but all of this is semantics really. The key takeaway is they are trying to ensure the ride isn't running 'late' past its scheduled time -- not that it's closing 2 hrs before park close.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

California Adventure.

Lucasfilm Story Group.

I'm not aware of any accounting brackets within Disney that categorize retail by "land". So I have no idea how you would come up with that statement. I also can tell you that Main Street retail stores dwarf all other retail, and so although I don't have a "land" category to objectively state real numbers, logic dictates that there's no way your statement is accurate.

Does your friend work with maintenance on the ride? Do you notice that I didn't mention "safety" as the reason for the big no-no? The pdf for the door specifically refers to its purpose as to prevent potential debris from entering the ride vehicle area. If any small piece of rock, debris, etc, enters the elevator due to the door not being closed, the ride vehicle's pathing can be altered such that it misses a puck and locks down the ride. If the door was only for show purposes, the shaft concrete would have just been painted black instead.
I think if there's rock and debris at that point, there's a bigger issue than if the door closed :D

WDW Pro

They don't stop the queue... people are still entering (unlike your comparison when the line is cut off). They simply stop calling additional groups. It's not using the time to drain the people already in line... the cutoff is simply preventing the virtual pool of rides from growing further. You could say they are cutting off the virtual queue... but all of this is semantics really. The key takeaway is they are trying to ensure the ride isn't running 'late' past its scheduled time -- not that it's closing 2 hrs before park close.

Sigh... the difference is the same as I've been saying, this is just a word game. RotR is done by park closing. Other major rides are done more than an hour after closing depending on queue time. The park hours are not ride hours, and RotR is unique in that it has two hour shorter operating hours than other marquee attractions (thus, two hours of downtime every day).

rowrbazzle

Sigh... the difference is the same as I've been saying, this is just a word game. RotR is done by park closing. Other major rides are done more than an hour after closing depending on queue time. The park hours are not ride hours, and RotR is unique in that it has two hour shorter operating hours than other marquee attractions (thus, two hours of downtime every day).

No it doesn't. Guests have two hours to get on the ride once their group is called. If the last groups are called two hours before park close, then you have guests who can enter the queue one minute before park close just the same as any other ride. Maybe it's not as many as those getting on Slinky or Falcon, but they're still there.

By your standard you would need to have the line completely empty at park close and another ride with a queue that takes two hours past park close to empty. Or one hour before and one hour after. Etc. Neither seems to be the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom