Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Mike S

Another idea that was brought up years ago in these discussions was using force “ghosts” to incorporate characters who would otherwise be dead in the current timeframe. Maybe have a ride or walkthrough where you are tempted to join the dark side and force ghosts of Vader, the emperor, Darth maul, Snoke or others attempts to recruit you but Yoda, Luke and Obi-wan appear to help you. This way they aren’t really alive but still acceptable in the timeline.
Except, Sith don’t become Force Ghosts.

Ironic. They seek immortality but take the path that doesn’t lead there.

Bleed0range

That’s the problem, they wouldn’t fix it.

That’s part of why I don’t really want them to change it. I mean it just opened! I know people don’t love the new characters as much, let’s be honest they can’t compete with Luke, Han and Leia. But it’s a big universe. There’s room for this ride to exist in this timeline. It sort of reverses the imagineers intent and admits failure across the board for Disney’s ST.

RSoxNo1

Or....just completely eliminate the needless and limiting, fundamentally poor idea of a fixed timeline and then you don’t have to twist yourself into a pretzel to incorporate and celebrate all of the Star Wars characters past, present, and future.

So much obvious downside from this concept for virtually no identifiable upside.
Right, the ride is clearly excellent. Changing Rise of the Resistance to the OT would have minimal effect for its demand. The move would be to not limit the land to a specific point in time. Sure, don't have Rey out at the same time as young Han, Luke or Leia and don't have Kylo Ren out at the same time as Darth Vader. Those are the types of changes that make more sense.

I'd also consider additional missions and modifications to Smugglers Run, that should be on the table, changing the timeline of Rise of the Resistance makes very little sense.

Bleed0range

Seems like a waste of money to me to “fix” RotR, as well. It’s MFSR that needs help.

I agree though I haven’t ridden it yet. But the mission looks boring. I think that’s an easy fix. I wouldn’t mind incorporating old Han from TFA.

The timeline doesn’t have to be exactly after TLJ it could just be the “ST timeline” in the park.

Darth Snips

It wouldn’t take nearly a year.

;)
I think my main concern with an OT overlay would be the fact that those movies were made 40 years ago and the cast are either too old or not around anymore. For instance, It’d be pretty easy to swap out the Kylo and Finn AAs for Vader and Han. But Rey and Poe are represented in actual live-action footage. How would you replace them with Luke and Leia? Rogue One has shown us what CGI recreations look like, and I was not a fan.

Are you able to share what kind of methodology would be used in such an overlay? I understand if you can’t, of course.

RobWDW1971

Right, the ride is clearly excellent. Changing Rise of the Resistance to the OT would have minimal effect for its demand. The move would be to not limit the land to a specific point in time. Sure, don't have Rey out at the same time as young Han, Luke or Leia and don't have Kylo Ren out at the same time as Darth Vader. Those are the types of changes that make more sense.

I'd also consider additional missions and modifications to Smugglers Run, that should be on the table, changing the timeline of Rise of the Resistance makes very little sense.
Agreed - don’t change the only thing that works for God’s sake. Rethink and relaunch Batuu and MFSR to celebrate the breadth of the Star Wars universe and leave ROTR as it is.

Star Wars land should have attractions, experiences, and characters from all periods and leave flexibility for the future so great new characters like Mandalorian and those yet invented can be there. It would also be great if Boba Fett didn’t have to wander aimlessly in front of pizza joint in Tomorrowland.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Or....just completely eliminate the needless and limiting, fundamentally poor idea of a fixed timeline and then you don’t have to twist yourself into a pretzel to incorporate and celebrate all of the Star Wars characters past, present, and future.

So much obvious downside from this concept for virtually no identifiable upside.
I agree with that. I see no need to cater to SW nerds who will cry and whine that it has to follow some strict cannon. That idea was thrown out there several years back to circumvent a convoluted timeline when we all realized the land would be limited by that specific timeline. Sorta like having your cake and eating it too or trying to appeal to everyone.

It’s a theme park land based on the SW movie universe. Not sure when every theme park ride or land had to become dumping you into an exact movie. Star Tours was always a perfect example of being part of the SW universe but not limited by any one timeline. They avoided that pitfall with SW:GE by creating a fictitious planet not from any actual movie (strong decision) but then decided to restrict the experience anyway based on timeline.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except, Sith don’t become Force Ghosts.

Ironic. They seek immortality but take the path that doesn’t lead there.
The bad guys can be like the Vader Luke sees in the cave on Dagobah.

Actually, imagine if they did that but when Vader gets struck down instead of seeing Luke’s face inside the mask you see an image of one of the guests on the ride. That would be enough to give some kid nightmares for life ;)

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Rise also relies on characters like Poe Finn and Rey to appear on screens. You can’t get the original characters to appear on a screen without a look-alike or cgi, which I feel would totally cheapen the experience.
That's true as well. A lot of the original cast members have passed on or are very old and do not sound the same or like the same as they used to. It would be very interesting to see how Disney would solve this problem.

CM.X777

Based on the number of people we've counted exiting the ride this week, and assuming Rise's theoretical hourly capacity is somewhere around 1,700/hour...I don't think Rise is yet operating at 50% of capacity in any given day.

Well they are operating with 22-26/36 ride vehicles which already moves it to about 60% capacity. Factoring in downtimes, I'm not surprised they rarely hit over 50%.

Agreed. You could then keep RotR as is and set MF in the OT with Han, Luke, and Leia...make everyone happy.

I assume no one is asking for Jar Jar.
Who's everyone? The only people I see CONSTANTLY complaining about GE being set in the ST seem to be 40+ year old men. MOVE ON! There are a lot more people than you think that are soo sick of people complaining that everything needs to be set in the OT. Some of us are actually tired of the OT. I bet if this was set during the prequels people would still be complaining just as much. If anything is going to kill Star Wars it's the fans that want everything to stay the same till the end of time.

Last edited:

Bleed0range

That's true as well. A lot of the original cast members have passed on or are very old and do not sound the same or like the same as they used to. It would be very interesting to see how Disney would solve this problem.

Luke can be a force ghost any ol time and MFSR could simply be set while old Han was alive and sort of ignore the movie timeline a bit like Star Tours for the sake of the ride.

Mike S

I’m pretty sure if there really is this plan to change to the OT they’ve got a good plan for using Han, Luke, and Leia despite the aged and sadly gone actors. The voice over for Leia in Star Tours was very on point so just bring back whoever it was that did it. Disney definitely has the resources to do the same for the other two and there’s already someone well known for doing impressions of Ford.

Even sort of looks like him and they could just do CGI touch ups from motion capture instead of a full CGI recreation to really sell it if they wanted to. Plus I’m sure he’d be cheaper than getting Ford back and trying to deage him like SLJ in Captain Marvel.

Oh, and FYI, he was in a movie with Ford and his role was a younger version of Ford’s character.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom