Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

RSoxNo1

Honest question: What percent of visitors to Animal Kingdom do you think know this backstory you both explained?
I think you're failing to recognize the need for non-linear story telling. Whether things are apparent or not, they make sense together, in story. That's the best way I can explain how something, "feels right" in a Disney park.

britain

Phew! I couldn’t get myself to read the detailed description of the ride but I’m glad to hear it’s a real drop. This “controlled descent” thing I’ve been hearing was bumming me out. ROTR shouldn’t be less physically thrilling than POTC.

I have a feeling Martin was trying to surprise you by downplaying the intensity of the drop.

TP2000

Phew! I couldn’t get myself to read the detailed description of the ride but I’m glad to hear it’s a real drop. This “controlled descent” thing I’ve been hearing was bumming me out. ROTR shouldn’t be less physically thrilling than POTC.

Agreed. But the Disneyland-style real drops (plural) instead of the limp-slide "drop" (singular) they have at WDW's Pirates. Your avatar has Disneyland's second shorter drop; both Disneyland drops combined should be the baseline for how physically thrilling the Resistance ride is, nothing less will do.

And I find it utterly fascinating how all the detailed leaks on this ride are coming out of Disneyland instead of WDW.

WDW's version opens two weeks from tomorrow, while Disneyland's doesn't open for two more months. You would think the detailed descriptions would be leaking like a sieve out of WDW, but it's up to the Californians to spill the beans instead.

Funny how that works! :cool:

britain

Agreed. But the Disneyland-style real drops (plural) instead of the limp-slide "drop" (singular) they have at WDW's Pirates. Your avatar has Disneyland's second shorter drop; both Disneyland drops combined should be the baseline for how physically thrilling the Resistance ride is, nothing less will do.

And I find it utterly fascinating how all the detailed leaks on this ride are coming out of Disneyland instead of WDW.

WDW's version two weeks from tomorrow, while Disneyland's doesn't open for two more months. You would think the detailed descriptions would be leaking like a sieve out of WDW, but here come the Californians to spill the beans instead.

How do you know these are DL descriptions?

TP2000

How do you know these are DL descriptions?

The repeated references to "Critter Country entrance" as a point of reference for land entry and direction of travel, and nearby Disneyland landmarks like Splash Mountain when discussing queue logistics. Plus repeated introductory statements from @swge like "Everything I know about RotR @ DLR.... part 2"

If you read the description with both eyes instead of closing one my friend, you would have seen that. 🤣

All this detailed info is gushing forth out of Disneyland. But at WDW the ride opens in two weeks and it's mostly crickets out there.

Last edited:

SWGalaxysEdge

The repeated references to "Critter Country entrance" as a point of reference for land entry and direction of travel, and nearby Disneyland landmarks like Splash Mountain when discussing queue logistics. Plus repeated introductory statements from @swge like "Everything I know about RotR @ DLR.... part 2"

If you read the description with both eyes instead of closing one my friend, you would have seen that. 🤣

All this detailed info is gushing forth out of Disneyland. But at WDW the ride opens in two weeks and it's mostly crickets out there.

..agreed. While I have contacts at both, most of my info has come from DL.

TP2000

..agreed. While I have contacts at both, most of my info has come from DL.

Yes, and it was obvious it was coming from Disneyland, and thank you for that!

It's just so odd how that flow of information works, where it's all sorts of well informed leaks and advance information from Anaheim, but at Orlando it's mostly... radio silence.

This ride opens in WDW in two weeks. It would seem that there would be large-scale test ridership with WDW Cast Members this weekend, and even that is cutting it very close. I'm sure we'll get some more info here once the WDW CM's start riding en masse. But interesting how the rumors and info were almost exclusively from the Anaheim site before that.

mergatroid

WDW's version opens two weeks from tomorrow, while Disneyland's doesn't open for two more months. You would think the detailed descriptions would be leaking like a sieve out of WDW, but it's up to the Californians to spill the beans instead.

Well you say that but there's many people like my wife who will be hoping there's no 'big drops'. It would appear that it's more a ride where you enjoy the story and the Star Wars characters than a 'thrill ride'. Of course you may want both but saying 'nothing less will do' is just what you may want and not necessarily what everyone else wants.

RobWDW1971

I think you're failing to recognize the need for non-linear story telling. Whether things are apparent or not, they make sense together, in story. That's the best way I can explain how something, "feels right" in a Disney park.

So I’m taking that to mean your answer to my question is “Approximately zero”.

Frontierland and Adventureland are non-linear storytelling. Having a ridiculously complicated, very specific backstory that nobody knows nor cares about that then drives the entire logic behind a land is just bad WDI placemaking and smoking their own dope

It’s why people instantly love New Orleans Square and then walk into Battu and look confused and say “why is it so eerily quiet and deserted?”

Potterlands are magical instantly and require zero convoluted backstory, Imagineer interview, nor app.

Batuu and MFSR are just examples of endless terrible creative choices. Hence, the lack of FOMO and excitement.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Agreed. I was referring to DL’s POTC.

britain

But then I'll learn TOO MUCH!!!

mickEblu

Well you say that but there's many people like my wife who will be hoping there's no 'big drops'. It would appear that it's more a ride where you enjoy the story and the Star Wars characters than a 'thrill ride'. Of course you may want both but saying 'nothing less will do' is just what you may want and not necessarily what everyone else wants.

Star Wars Battle Escape: The Passive Experience

ToTBellHop

Is this the Disneyland thread again?
Yes.
1574209872487.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom