News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Epcot82Guy

7am slots filled in about ~7 seconds.
It was under that for me. Did everything right, and still gone without me getting one (single pass). This was the main reason for this trip, so I'm pretty close to giving up at this point. It continues to be an absolute joke experience-wise (not that they care). Rant over.

TikibirdLand

The problem is what you're suggesting would require a complete shutdown of the attraction to rip up the floor and put wires in and reprogram the ride system. It would not only cost a lot but also have the ride down for an extended period.

Hindsight is a great thing and you're probably correct that using a simpler system may have worked better in some areas. However I can also see how trying new technologies has helped the evolution of park attractions. People love Hagrids but it had tons of issues after it opened mainly because it dared to be different, similar to Test Track. The Tower of Terror used technology not seen before in theme park attractions and is still rated as a brilliant attraction because rather than say "No that's too hard" they persevered and decided to try and do it. Rise has suffered for trying to be fantastic and has had problems that still exist because of this. We hear people complain that things aren't good enough at Disney on here so surely we should want them to try to be the best they can be. Sometimes this means there's problems in the early stages but if those can be ironed out then in my opinion it's worth trying.
I have mentioned this on here before. It might not be the same issue but could possibly be it. I've worked newer attractions that would break down. And the cause? Cell phones. There are some cells phones that run on the same frequency as the rides and cause confusion with the system. Basically blocking the ride and the vehicle communicating with one another and the computer would "lose" the vehicle and as a safety precaution shut down the ride. Could they replace the sensors and redo a new frequency? Yes. Would it be very expensive? Yes. But with the quick evolution of cell phones now and days it would only be a bandaid.
Ah, but they did know about the radio interference. We discussed this on the thread regarding the multiple delays for this ride. IIRC, this was the primary reason for the long delayed opening of ROTR. I never heard what the "fix" was back then. It could, indeed, be the move of the frequencies used. I'm sure this would have been spotted as a potential issue even before the concrete was poured (back during concept). The ride vehicles don't HAVE to be trackless; a wire-guided system has the ability to switch "wires" allowing multiple paths to be made. Over 20 years ago, our mail carts were traversing hallways and elevators with ease (even selected floors). They had collision avoidance and would softly beep when someone stepped in their way. Alas, email communication made them extinct. But, this technology could certainly be the basis for a ride system like ROTR.

DCBaker

Premium Member
It was under that for me. Did everything right, and still gone without me getting one (single pass). This was the main reason for this trip, so I'm pretty close to giving up at this point. It continues to be an absolute joke experience-wise (not that they care). Rant over.

Don't give up on the 1pm window yet!

Also, just a reminder, as long as you've tapped past the turnstiles before 1pm, you don't have to be inside the park to try and join a boarding group in the afternoon.

mergatroid

Ah, but they did know about the radio interference. We discussed this on the thread regarding the multiple delays for this ride. IIRC, this was the primary reason for the long delayed opening of ROTR. I never heard what the "fix" was back then. It could, indeed, be the move of the frequencies used. I'm sure this would have been spotted as a potential issue even before the concrete was poured (back during concept). The ride vehicles don't HAVE to be trackless; a wire-guided system has the ability to switch "wires" allowing multiple paths to be made. Over 20 years ago, our mail carts were traversing hallways and elevators with ease (even selected floors). They had collision avoidance and would softly beep when someone stepped in their way. Alas, email communication made them extinct. But, this technology could certainly be the basis for a ride system like ROTR.
True they don't have to be trackless, just like cars don't have to be better or mobile phones don't need to store more music. It's a good thing though surely to try to advance technology, especially if doing so offers more options down the line. Trackless ride systems have been used before and been successful already. Cars that drive themselves are currently being worked on and other parks are using trackless ride systems.

In hindsight had they used wire guidance then they may not be having the issues they are now. But likewise if they'd used wire guidance and had suffered issues due to that, you could equally be on here posting "Why didn't they go with a wireless, trackless system like other rides have successfully used and we wouldn't have this problem"?

Without knowing the precise issue, when it started and why they chose to make certain decisions (including money, time or technology), it's easy to sit here and say they should have done this instead of that. Again trackless systems have been used successfully before so, depending on the exact details of the problem there may have been no valid reason to think there'd be major problems? It could be a major up on Disney's part or it could be that they've had some bad luck, I just don't see how trying to improve ride systems is something to be avoided on the chance it has some issues?

An interesting debate but there's more information needed in my opinion before we can say for sure who is to blame and what they could realistically have done differently, when they knew what the issue was.

Edit: The **** isn't the word you're thinking, it's a male chicken :)

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Screenshot_20210523-070031_Disney World.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom