News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

KevinPage

(Puts on my @DCBaker 🎩)

68FDB26F-D674-49FC-9E1A-DCB0DDB7265E.gif

2:45PM EST Group 98 is NOT the last group of the day 🤩🤩🤩

flynnibus

Premium Member
After reading people's experience with refresh v. restart and my own experience, I've seen that both methods can inexplicably fail.

Therefore, until very extensive record keeping is done with controlled variables that prove otherwise, I've determined that:
  1. It doesn't matter whether you restart or refresh.
  2. What matters is hitting the button and 'pinging into the server' at the right time to beat others to a lower group.
  3. And since so many other people are doing the same thing at the same time, you may not get a low group.
  4. And the 'pinging in' may completely fail, regardless if you refresh or restarted from scratch (see #3).
  5. Having more people in your group increases the chance that one of you will not have a failed pinging in, and will grab a lower BG number.
Everything else is just confirmation bias and a product of variable reinforcement and magical thinking where people think that random stuff they're doing has an effect on an outcome which, in reality, it doesn't. Sorry... that's just the way higher level vertebrates try to make sense of the world.

I mean, it's good to experiment and create theories and test them. But in the end, one has to be able to let go of theories if they're not always working.

I have spoken.
As a software architect- i put more weight into the knowledge built to date than your dismissal.

the key concepts of when a product decides what data to refresh vs rely on existing state is very mich a real thing.

yes there are elements people throw in that are waving hands more than impactful- but there can be a significant difference in the different states the app maintains and what requests it makes.

crc123

Hi Everyone! I will be going in 2 weeks with my family and I know we're all linked together in their system. Can someone explain to me the friends and family page for getting boarding groups? If my whole family is riding will I have to select everyone individually or will automatically my whole group be selected? Trying to save as much time as possible on that page and want to know what to expect.

MJJME

Hi Everyone! I will be going in 2 weeks with my family and I know we're all linked together in their system. Can someone explain to me the friends and family page for getting boarding groups? If my whole family is riding will I have to select everyone individually or will automatically my whole group be selected? Trying to save as much time as possible on that page and want to know what to expect.
There's a button to "select all" so just make sure that only the people that are there and want to ride are the ones in your friends and family group. Try a practice run tomorrow at 8am and you will see

MJJME

The main thing is you should have as many others in your group with their own MDE accounts and your friends and family should all be linked and you should have as many of you as possible trying to get a BG using the Demarke method right at park opening at 8am. All of my kids have their own and they all try at the same time as my wife and me.

crc123

There's a button to "select all" so just make sure that only the people that are there and want to ride are the ones in your friends and family group. Try a practice run tomorrow at 8am and you will see
Ohh wow I didn't realize you could practice to that extent without being in the park. Very good to know! Thanks so much.

crc123

The main thing is you should have as many others in your group with their own MDE accounts and your friends and family should all be linked and you should have as many of you as possible trying to get a BG using the Demarke method right at park opening at 8am. All of my kids have their own and they all try at the same time as my wife and me.
Cool, makes sense. Thank you! Yeah there's 4 of us with MDE so hopefully we're ok. We only have one day at HS and we're flying there basically only for this ride - so feeling the pressure. Will definitely be testing throughout the week. We will also be going on a Weekday so hopefully that helps a little even though it'll be slight spring break season.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As a software architect- i put more weight into the knowledge built to date than your dismissal.

Excuse me, but "my dismissal" is based on data. My own experience and reports here that #restart didn't work.

I trust observation over your dismissal of observation because you make assumptions on how the engineering works. How many times have software architects put a system together and it didn't work as intended?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
An observation that doesnt know all the factors in play is not enough on its own to invalidate a postulate.

Like you know all the factors of how the software architecture is engineered?

You have two oft used methods.

Both methods have been seen to work. Both methods have been seen to fail.

Thus, I said that more rigorous testing must be done.

No clue what horse your money's on in the face of that.

KevinPage

4pm - current groups called 90-109.

There was a 35 minute wait calling groups between 3:15-3:50pm, which was the first significant pause of the day. Running around 13 groups per hour for the day thus far.

Ok, the jig is up. No way @DCBaker is an actual flesh & 🩸 human being with this level of midday weekend detail.

Only possible explanation is......

39F17A1D-15CB-45C8-9913-23E5E89F9E95.gif

flynnibus

Premium Member
Like you know all the factors of how the software architecture is engineered?
No - but it is that lack of information that keeps me from being able to fully dismiss either method (because there is not conclusive constraints eliminating either) and making new definitive claims of what the only factors are... like you did.

i can not eliminate or determine what caused the failures (related to the method or not) - so they are data points, not conclusive.

Both methods have been seen to work. Both methods have been seen to fail.

Thus, I said that more rigorous testing must be done.
No hou went beyond that... deciding which pieces were impactful and what the scope of relevance was.

a failed test case does not necessarily mean a postulate is wrong - it can also mean it's incomplete in describing the relevant pieces.

TLDR dont take a failure as its wrong - it may be just incomplete

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom