News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Tom Morrow

Why even bother coming to Disney World if you aren't going to rope drop and wake up early.
Might as well stay at home or go to a beach resort.

This was a few pages back, but I wanted to add my two cents as someone who hates mornings but is very familiar with typical WDW crowd flow. Traditionally, it was true that getting to the park at rope drop guaranteed you at least an hour of walk-ons or minimal lines, outside of peak times. However, because of modern crowd tendencies, the fact that the parks are just much more crowded on average these days, and Fastpass+ ensuring guests have Fastpasses scheduled right at the official park open (thereby artificially inflating the lines earlier than the legacy system) this is more or less no longer the case. These days, rope-dropping a park essentially gets you one quick boarding on a high demand attraction, and maybe a second one if you're lucky.

If you don't plan on spending the entire day at the park, and you have a choice between morning and night, night is typically a better option in my opinion. If you arrive at rope drop and stay until late afternoon, you only experience the park getting busier and busier. If you arrive, say, after noon, you'll arrive at the busiest time - but that's okay because hopefully you scheduled Fastpasses at this time - and you'll experience the park crowds gradually decreasing rather than increasing.

The final few hours of the park's operation are crucial to powering through multiple attractions. Though you may or may not be experiencing walk-ons, the lines are typically significantly shorter than late morning through late afternoon making it possible to hit multiple major attractions. As a local AP I almost never go to the parks until late afternoon or early evening, and I basically always get on everything I want to ride.

Not to mention that in addition to decreasing crowds, the atmosphere in the parks is better at night because of all the lighting Disney uses, not to mention it's typically cooler out. I ride Flight of Passage every time I visit DAK with a short wait simply by getting in line right before park closing. This is because once Fastpass users are no longer trickling in. Same technique applies to every high demand attraction that Fastpasses are hard to get for - Frozen, 7DMT, Slinky Dog.

VaderTron

As cute as the Baby Yoda's may be, they really have nothing to do with boarding groups.
Ouch! Mom killed Baby Yoda!

I think we need her ferocity on the front lines of those who deal with boarding group complaints. (BG tie-in. Can't delete me post now. 😂😂😂)

0_giphy-6.gif

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney absolutely does know your location, if you are using MDE or PlayDisney. Those apps vary the messages and game options based on locations. There is a reason bluetooth has to be on.

yeah but there is a difference between 'knowing your location' some of the time vs 'knowing for certain someone is within a boundary' at any given time. Basically the idea of 'some of the time' vs 'confidence you will have it when you need it.. so I can make big decisions based on it'.

Hints vs confidence

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This was a few pages back, but I wanted to add my two cents as someone who hates mornings but is very familiar with typical WDW crowd flow. Traditionally, it was true that getting to the park at rope drop guaranteed you at least an hour of walk-ons or minimal lines, outside of peak times. However, because of modern crowd tendencies, the fact that the parks are just much more crowded on average these days, and Fastpass+ ensuring guests have Fastpasses scheduled right at the official park open (thereby artificially inflating the lines earlier than the legacy system) this is more or less no longer the case. These days, rope-dropping a park essentially gets you one quick boarding on a high demand attraction, and maybe a second one if you're lucky.

If you don't plan on spending the entire day at the park, and you have a choice between morning and night, night is typically a better option in my opinion. If you arrive at rope drop and stay until late afternoon, you only experience the park getting busier and busier. If you arrive, say, after noon, you'll arrive at the busiest time - but that's okay because hopefully you scheduled Fastpasses at this time - and you'll experience the park crowds gradually decreasing rather than increasing.

The final few hours of the park's operation are crucial to powering through multiple attractions. Though you may or may not be experiencing walk-ons, the lines are typically significantly shorter than late morning through late afternoon making it possible to hit multiple major attractions. As a local AP I almost never go to the parks until late afternoon or early evening, and I basically always get on everything I want to ride.

Not to mention that in addition to decreasing crowds, the atmosphere in the parks is better at night because of all the lighting Disney uses, not to mention it's typically cooler out. I ride Flight of Passage every time I visit DAK with a short wait simply by getting in line right before park closing. This is because once Fastpass users are no longer trickling in. Same technique applies to every high demand attraction that Fastpasses are hard to get for - Frozen, 7DMT, Slinky Dog.
Quoted for agreement. I am not a morning person, so original Fastpass was contrary to my tendencies, since you needed to get there early to grab FPs and ride things before they got busy. FP+ is great for us. We just spent the busy Xmas season at WDW, generally with FPs starting between noon and 1. We'd sleep late, grab breakfast, head to a park when it was hugely busy but we had FPs, eat a late-ish lunch, use the rest of our FPs, see a show a two that didn't need FPs, and then wait for crowds to die down. The only attractions that didn't get down to waits of less than 30 minutes (real waits, not posted inflated ones) were Flight of Passage, 7DMT, and Test Track.

Ravenclaw78

Actually the better option is to rope drop early and be out of the park by 11-11:30 am, go back to the hotel or Disney Spring, etc and come back late afternoon-late night for the night drop. That is the better choice than what you are suggesting.
Why are you so convinced that what works best for you is the only valid approach for every guest?

disneygeek90

I'm not typically a morning person but the morning I'm going for ROTR that changes that real quick.

It has been at 163 for a bit now. That wouldn't be there last issued group would it? Unless it's down.

Last edited:

butterxcup

Got an early fastpass for Slinky tomorrow morning so going to try for my fifth ride. Traffic builds up bad in my area so I have to leave home a bit early and was wondering if park gate opening is still about 6:30am? Thinking about sitting in my car and chilling in the lot until gates open to walk over instead of standing in the mass outside of the gates for a forth time.

disneygeek90

Got an early fastpass for Slinky tomorrow morning so going to try for my fifth ride. Traffic builds up bad in my area so I have to leave home a bit early and was wondering if park gate opening is still about 6:30am? Thinking about sitting in my car and chilling in the lot until gates open to walk over instead of standing in the mass outside of the gates for a forth time.
Seems so. On Sunday is was 6:18.

KevinPage

They should have at least given people the option of riding it in the incomplete state or waiting and coming back later. Especially if this is your first time the shuttle is intergral.

operational I’m not sure that’s in their best interest. This is lent a simple roller coaster where it either works or it doe
Once we walked right through the stretching room, skipping that part. Not sure why.

“Is this haunted transport actually stretching? Or is that just your force sensitivity? Hmm?”

“And consider this dismaying observation: Lieutenant Beck has no pores and no sweat glands...which offers you this chilling challenge: to find the ink sac! (Laughs.) Of course, there’s always Palpatine’s way.”

785766FC-EC90-4263-BFD6-C0E202CF85F1.jpeg

Tom Morrow

Actually the better option is to rope drop early and be out of the park by 11-11:30 am, go back to the hotel or Disney Spring, etc and come back late afternoon-late night for the night drop. That is the better choice than what you are suggesting.
For non-locals, yes this is by far the best option but sometimes the travel time to and from the parks can add up and cause people to not want to do it twice in one day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom