News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

flynnibus

Premium Member
Spy photo from DHS operations meeting Dec 4th....

AB305EB9-DD80-4B2B-9FF7-B88B0782AA88.png

DisneyJoe

I would think a lottery system in which every day you can put your group in for a chance "to board" seven days later with a portion set aside for resort guests that can put in for the lottery two days advance. If you "win" you receive a time to show up. Winners blacked out from winning again for a month.

Resort guest have access to the seven day and two day lotteries. Locals have access to the seven day lottery year round.

Not totally perfect, but very fair.

No problem of gate rushers trying to beat everyone else so they can ride. No promises to be broken about opening time. No need to open early unexpectedly. No system of "to the hardy go the spoils."
I don't see Disney IT successfully implementing a lottery system like that.

SoFloMagic

Anyone have any potential insight or ideas about this Sunday?
It’s EMH at 8 am officially. If they open the park earlier at 6 am or when ever, will that only be for resort guests or everyone since RoTR technically won’t even be part of EMH.
And will they allow guests to check in for boarding passes during EMH or not?
No insight, but what I feel they should do is release boarding groups in waves. Some at the start of EMH, then the rest at 9am/opening time. That way emh has a bonus (riding early) and people coming in at open can still get in "line". (really this could solve the issue every day - issue some at 6am and some at 9am).
But who knows. They painted themselves into a corner with this one...

EDIT - this would be a good day to use to get back to normal. Turn around cars at the gate, tell them it's EMH and they can come back at 9.

Tom Morrow

No insight, but what I feel they should do is release boarding groups in waves. Some at the start of EMH, then the rest at 9am/opening time. That way emh has a bonus (riding early) and people coming in at open can still get in "line". (really this could solve the issue every day - issue some at 6am and some at 9am).
But who knows. They painted themselves into a corner with this one...

EDIT - this would be a good day to use to get back to normal. Turn around cars at the gate, tell them it's EMH and they can come back at 9.
I like this idea. At the very least, you need to be able to "queue up" for the ride during the scheduled operating hours.

socalkdg

Even if they had waited to open the gates at 9 u still wouldn’t be able to ride getting there 30 minutes before opening. 10000 people would have already been waiting outside the gates since they started lining up at 4 am. Those people would still be first through the gates and first getting their spot in the virtual queue, filling it to capacity in the first 30 minute. Showing up 30 minutes before opening just puts you at the back of that huge line that takes an hour to get through the gates. So now you can’t get in until 10 am and you still can’t ride ROTR.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I would think a lottery system in which every day you can put your group in for a chance "to board" seven days later with a portion set aside for resort guests that can put in for the lottery two days advance. If you "win" you receive a time to show up. Winners blacked out from winning again for a month.

Resort guest have access to the seven day and two day lotteries. Locals have access to the seven day lottery year round.

Not totally perfect, but very fair.

No problem of gate rushers trying to beat everyone else so they can ride. No promises to be broken about opening time. No need to open early unexpectedly. No system of "to the hardy go the spoils."

So like some sort of system, with an advantage for resort guests, where people can try to get a ‘pass’, if you will, in advance that would get you a time to get on the ride fast? 😉

I don't think you're getting the actual outrage. No one is saying early birds shouldn't get the benefit ;)

The point is that the park was advertised as opening at 9am. Most folks DO plan to get there an hour or two early. Sure lots of folks decided to show up but they weren't obligated to open toe park to you. They did, and the rest missed out. It's not fair but it is fair. It's complicated.
I think the point people are trying to make is that the spots on the ride per day are finite, if there are 10,000 slots and 10,000 people are there waiting two hours early but they don’t open til 9:00am anyway, the people that get there an hour or two early are still out of luck and just have to wait longer to get in the park to find out the bad news.

People seem to assume that if Disney released a firm earlier opening time that their behavior of getting up earlier to take advantage would change, but the behavior of those who got out there 5 hours early (based on the same information from Disney available to everyone) wouldn’t also shift their plans. I think a sizeable amount of those that were out there at 4am for an announced 9am opening (that opens at 6am) would have just ended up queuing at 1am for an announced 6am opening and we’d have people complaining that they got their kids there at 5:30am and couldn’t get a spot.

Demand far exceeds available spots, demand of people motivated to even get up super early currently exceeds availability, it sucks, but some people are going to be left behind no matter what.

That said, I agree that people should not be getting false information. That is unacceptable if it is happening beyond isolated incidents or in any way an official policy. Even if cast members at hotels or other parks are not always updated or in the loop on opening time decisions that could be made on the fly, they should be prepped with a truthful statement that hedges their bets. Something like, “Posted hours are for park opening at 9am and transportation to begin one hour prior. We guarantee the park will open no later than this time. However, with potentially high demand, crowd control decisions may be implemented to open at an earlier time. Potential early openings may be impacted by many factors including pre-opening ride testing which could vary significantly at this early stage and are in no way a guarantee of early access.”

Last edited:

MrConbon

I’m incredibly interested to see how Sunday plays out. It may be a complete disaster. With EMH starting at 8 they can’t open up at 6 like they have been. The non-resort guests won’t be happy to find out that boarding groups 1-50 were all taken by 9am.

SoFloMagic

Pretty successful 2nd day I would say if they got all groups in. Seems they are working out all the kinks in a timely manner.
I think they set a low bar and cleared it. It's a good start, but "running out" of availability at 8am means it was a 13 hour wait... they've gotta boost capacity on this.

YodaMan

I have presumed all along that they would be opening Rise early (before posted park opening), just like they open FOP early every day.
As for everyone saying that Rise will not be open for EMH, I have yet to see that anywhere official. What I do see is a list of attractions that are included in EMH and that list does not have RISE on it.
There is a big difference between NOT saying it is included and saying it is "not included". Bonus points for those playing at home, the list of EMH attractions still says MF:SR is open for EMH starting Sept 1, so it has not been updated since before Galaxy's Edge opened.

It’s posted on the WDW site. How much more official do you need?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

🤣:rolleyes:

Not to brag but, I called it. Nearly 24-hours before it was uploaded, I called it.

Forget the fact that almost everyone wanting to ride has been able to, through any delays or not. Forget the fact that the overall consensus of reports from within the park have been pretty much this:

Forget all the other YouTube videos of people riding, raving about how amazing this new attraction is.

None of that matters. According to the "Fandom Menace", or whatever they call themselves, this thing is a lemon, and every day has been a catastrophe, leaving nothing but sheer disappointment in it's wake. ;)

The ride is definetly not a lemon. I am nooo fan of Disney's version of Star Wars but I KNOW a good ride when I see one. Looks fun, I haves some minor issues here and there with it but overall I like it and I can't wait to ride it personally. And this is from someone who hates Disney's version of Star Wars usually.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I totally get that Star Wars, new or old, may not be everyone's cup of tea. I also get that not everyone will enjoy GE, this ride, etc.

But what's so amusing about some of those channels is their glaring agenda to take Disney's SW down using manipulation and doctored information. (If you look closely, they literally use a closed-down theme park's image as a video thumbnail to persuade people that GE is dead. 🤣

View attachment 431100

And like I suspected would happen before it did, they took the times when RoTR was shut-down during it's inaugural run, ignored the high numbers of successful operating times, and painted a false picture of it "not going very well".

Of course, I'm not really helping by giving channels like these attention. But I just find it entertaining, yet sad at the same time.

Different opinions I respect. Manipulative agendas I do not.
I like the ride, so far I like the Mandalorian. When Disney does good, I will ackowledge it. The ride looks like a solid fun ride even though not as thrilling as I would have liked personally. I Can't wait to walk up the ramp. I have issues with the land as whole. I have issues with the Falcon ride. However, its easy to tell this ride is a winner and will be a crowd pleaser.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom