News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

KevinPage

Exactly. I'm also sitting here wondering what to do tomorrow (or the next day). Now that we know, watch them do it differently tomorrow. I have no plans to get there at 4:00am (I would have if they said "park opens at 6:00am), but I have no problem getting there at 5 or 6 if I actually *know* I have to and can. It's a sucky guessing game, and I get why it can change and be hard to predict, but I do feel badly for those, and yes that includes myself, who were caught in the "sike, we opened early!" today. I can also see why some don't, and yeah, it's easy to say "well you should have known ..." ... No, I really shouldn't have ;) lol

that’s why I find 6am to be the perfect middle ground “sweet spot”. It allows me to hedge my bet. If I lose out and no early access, I’m only stuck for 3 hours (not striking out big with 5 hours if I got there at 4am).

BUT, my upside is somewhat limited. I’ll likely still get access but not as fast as others who risked more and therefore get a bigger benefit (but risk more).

Kman101

What are the chances that this extremely limited reservation system is them trying not to eat their words: “10 hour lines are not a sign of success”?

It seems like the virtual queue is being implemented for a few reasons. I imagine this is one of them, though of course they'd never say it ;) lol. I also think it's to control how many guests are riding and that way they don't have a full queue of people when the ride goes down. I see the advantage, for them, in the virtual queue. I have no issue with having one, personally. I'd rather have a time to enter (or no time at all) then wait 12 hours in a line all day. Not sure what the perfect solution would be.

Also have to wonder if this should have just been a cast/ap/dvc preview instead. Previews are for a reason ... to work things out. I'm assuming this ride has had limited cast testing and of course media. But I get why they wanted it open ASAP. And in actuality, with the limited amount of guests it is putting through, it's basically a published soft opening/preview I suppose, in a way.

KevinPage

What are the chances that this extremely limited reservation system is them trying not to eat their words: “10 hour lines are not a sign of success”?

my guess Is they know:

1. there is huge demand

2. they are not operating at full capacity

3. they will have plenty of unscheduled downtime as they rushed this open

4. they have a mega hit/game changer on their hands and they want to control any narrative they can

5. giving access to the fanatics pleases the most vocal of the fanbase, helps with the narrative/media

Kman101

my guess Is they know:

1. there is huge demand

2. they are not operating at full capacity

3. they will have plenty of unscheduled downtime as they rushed this open

4. they have a mega hit/game changer on their hands and they want to control any narrative they can

5. giving access to the fanatics pleases the most vocal of the fanbase, helps with the narrative/media

Said it better than I did!

KevinPage

That, I believe, is the best reason they have for the boarding system. When it breaks down, they only have to dump the RVs and current queue. With a 10 hour wait line, they would have to dump that huge pile of people and that would be unacceptable for Disney guests.

agreed, this allows them to limit any fallout/complaints. Disney always get disgruntled guests complaining over every little thing, so anything they can do to nip it in the butt prematurely makes sense 😎

mm52200

Anyone have any potential insight or ideas about this Sunday?
It’s EMH at 8 am officially. If they open the park earlier at 6 am or when ever, will that only be for resort guests or everyone since RoTR technically won’t even be part of EMH.
And will they allow guests to check in for boarding passes during EMH or not?

Rich Brownn

Have you been upset every day for the last 2.5 years when Animal Kingdom lets people on FoP before park opening? As long as all parties are dealt the same cards (which they are), then what’s to complain about?
Because you can still queue for FOP after the park opens. In this case it would be like you show up for FOP at park opening and being told, sorry we're full.

Rich Brownn

So...then... What should Disney have done when there are thousands more people that want to ride a ride than the ride can handle?

How would any of you do things differently that would not result in people camping out or parked along a highway waiting to crash the gate at more and more ridiculously advanced wait times, which would exclude guests with children from ever riding it?
Do what they used to do when the park was filled -- make them exit the parking until it opens and keep the roads clear.

Kman101

I personally love it.

There no lines to enter parking lot, security, the park itself. It’s dark, comfortably cold/cool, the lights are in and music playing, and less people than “rope drop”.

I’ll admit there is no perfect solution to this. If this many people get to the park early to suck up all the passes, doesn’t that prove that enough people are smart enough to know what to do? Why should people who don’t get up early to get access to something be given the same benefit as those that do?

We all know Disney is never gonna say “come 3 hours early” cause then the normal early birds are gonna come even earlier, so you’d have the same problem and people coming when “Disney told them” will still be out of luck.

This is kinda one of this unwritten rules in life that you know the early bird gets the worm. Disney doesn’t want to turn thousands of people away when they can get them into the park and alleviate a crush of people on a brand new AND temperamental ride.

The amount of SATISFIED GUESTS is gonna far outweigh the DISGRUNTLED. So it’s a net win in managements eyes.

I don't think you're getting the actual outrage. No one is saying early birds shouldn't get the benefit ;)

The point is that the park was advertised as opening at 9am. Most folks DO plan to get there an hour or two early. Sure lots of folks decided to show up but they weren't obligated to open the park to you. They did, and the rest missed out. It's not fair but it is fair. It's complicated.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom