News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

disneygeek90

I guess some people are okay with a communicated 9am opening and then an actual 6am opening. Personally, resort guest or not, if I had a ticket for the park I’d be somewhat upset.
I recall a similar thing happening for FoP. Albeit the attraction wasn't "closed" by 9am, but they definitely opened at least an hour before the posted open.

And as we knew, as popular as Pandora was, Star Wars was always going to be far, far more hyped and far busier.

Last edited:

SoFloMagic

They got the same access everyone else did. You suggested staying in a disney resort should have given them something more to mean their 'investment'. That is demanding something above what other people had. They weren't treated any less than anyone else.
Bro. They told hotel guests to get on buses at 8 so that they could go to DHS because there's a new ride there.

Anyone who got on a bus at 8am got to the park after 8:10, and there were not slots available.

That.
Is.
Bullsh*t.

KevinPage

To answer a bunch of people questions, I arrived at 5:45 on Thursday and 6:25 today.

opening day netted me boarding group 27
Today netted me 18

So naturally today had less people than opening day AND supposedly the boarding groups were smaller in size today. I also got on the ride much quicker today and grabbed a second boarding pass (which was 28).

assuming Disney doesn’t change anything and let people into the park/grab boarding passes, I’d say 6am is more than adequate. Even 4am is ridiculous to me.

can we see a spike in weekend crowds? Maybe during regular park hours but I’d tend to think anyone who’s fanatical enough (like most of us) went already and you should see slightly less demand each day at these ungodly hours of the morning.

Good luck to us all tomorrow 🤩🤩🤩

SoFloMagic

So amongst all this arguing, does anyone have any actual advice on what to do if I wanna ride RotR tomorrow and take resort transportation?
Go wait for a bus at 5 or 6. Worst case is you wait a couple hours, but the way this has been going, you probably wont. Either way you'll probably get a boarding group.

KevinPage

I guess some people are okay with a communicated 9am opening and then an actual 6am opening. Personally, resort guest or not, if I had a ticket for the park I’d be somewhat upset.

It’s also common knowledge to know that CM’s are the last people to know about these kind of things. They know the basics, but they won’t know anything about POTENTIAL unannounced flex hours and stuff like that.

I booked All Star Sports for SWGE grand opening and not one hotel CM could give me any semblance of definitive answer on when buses would start. So I got my butt up super early and milled around outside with loads of other people and got a bus at 3:25am.

park scheduled opening was 6am that day. But they don’t want nor can they tell people of any potential flex times. That would cause a huge disruption in operations and generally cause more complaints.

Rob562

Heads up, because I think it's new...

Published Studios park opening time has been changed to 8am starting Monday. (Sundays with 8am EMH appear to stay with 9am opening time)

Just a hunch, but I suspect starting Monday we'll see a tweaked park opening/virtual queue plan. (Good thing I don't go until Wednesday)

-Rob

Kman101

Yeah, the lack of understanding from some folks on why this was an issue is kind of mind boggling to me. And as usual, some make it about what it isn't (you should see DisTwitter, the shills are all out trying to pounce)

tissandtully

To answer a bunch of people questions, I arrived at 5:45 on Thursday and 6:25 today.

opening day netted me boarding group 27
Today netted me 18

So naturally today had less people than opening day AND supposedly the boarding groups were smaller in size today. I also got on the ride much quicker today and grabbed a second boarding pass (which was 28).

assuming Disney doesn’t change anything and let people into the park/grab boarding passes, I’d say 6am is more than adequate. Even 4am is ridiculous to me.

can we see a spike in weekend crowds? Maybe during regular park hours but I’d tend to think anyone who’s fanatical enough (like most of us) went already and you should see slightly less demand each day at these ungodly hours of the morning.

Good luck to us all tomorrow 🤩🤩🤩
I think it should be limited to one Boarding Pass per magic band.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Bro. They told hotel guests to get on buses at 8 so that they could go to DHS because there's a new ride there.

Cool Story Bro.. can you read?

I'd be more concerned if hotel guests can't talk to their resort CMs and get accurate information about when and where they will be allowed into the park. I don't care if Disney doesn't run the buses for them or not (I do, but that's not the deal breaker).. I think its most important that now that the ride is open, Disney give ACCURATE information when it's ready.

They don't need to say what it will be in 3 weeks, but if it's 9pm tonight, I want to know when and where I can be at the park tomorrow morning.

And for context to what you replied to... that same story they told to your resort guest example.. they told everyone the wrong info. So no, resort guests were not singled out nor at some disadvantage.. which is what the posters are claiming.. that resort guests were somehow being shortchanged. They were treated the same as everyone else. Additionally, they had some access that others didn't.

So if people want to be upset... be upset at the right thing.

KevinPage

I think it should be limited to one Boarding Pass per magic band.

1. I’m not sure if there is any technical issue for then to solve to do this and worth the cost/headache for such a short term solution. Also, I’d venture to guess less then 30% take advantage of the 2nd boarding group as most people don’t even realize it.

2. what if the early birds blown through the line and remainder of people who don’t get there early enough, do they allow standby with no boarding plan then to fill in the line? That would be hard to manage having multiple plans.

I don’t think there is any perfect solution to this where everyone would be happy, just a least offensive scenario 🤩

Kman101

1. I’m not sure if there is any technical issue for then to solve to do this and worth the cost/headache for such a short term solution. Also, I’d venture to guess less then 30% take advantage of the 2nd boarding group as most people don’t even realize it.

2. what if the early birds blown through the line and remainder of people who don’t get there early enough, do they allow standby with no boarding plan then to fill in the line? That would be hard to manage having multiple plans.

I don’t think there is any perfect solution to this where everyone would be happy, just a least offensive scenario 🤩

There's definitely no perfect solution. I also thought they could let the guests ride in standby until 9am, but that could be a nightmare, especially if they have to evacuate the line. So, again, there's really no perfect solution.

Let's just hope they learn.

I'd have loved to say today "gee, Disney did great implementing the virtual queue and opening early for guests" but here we are ... yesterday went better than expected, why? Because guests knew the park would likely open at 6am or earlier to meet the demand and it was *opening day*. I fully expected virtual queue to be in place for a while, for a variety of reasons.

It's pretty crushing to expect the park to open at 9, or maybe even 7 or 8, show up at 7-something and be outta luck.

socalkdg

How is that different from people getting angry when they show up an hour early just to get told that they can't even attempt to ride?
No different then if the ride is down the whole day. Or if they waited to open the park, but 10000 people are already in line to get into the park as they got there 2 hours early and you only got there 1 hour early.

KevinPage

There's definitely no perfect solution. I also thought they could let the guests ride in standby until 9am, but that could be a nightmare, especially if they have to evacuate the line. So, again, there's really no perfect solution.

Let's just hope they learn.

I'd have loved to say today "gee, Disney did great implementing the virtual queue and opening early for guests" but here we are ... yesterday went better than expected, why? Because guests knew the park would likely open at 6am or earlier to meet the demand and it was *opening day*. I fully expected virtual queue to be in place for a while, for a variety of reasons.

It's pretty crushing to expect the park to open at 9, or maybe even 7 or 8, show up at 7-something and be outta luck.

and yet here I sit today thinking about tomorrow, “I hope they don’t change anything cause I’m getting there around 6am”. But I could very well be sitting there for 2 hours waiting. Impossible to predict.

every amusement park usually has to deal with some % of unhappy customers who can’t access a new ride, since demand is always highest and technical issues usually at its worst in the beginning.

It’s a perfect storm but being in the park the past 2 days I feel they handled it marvelously. Plus as a bonus to EVERYONE, at normal park opening you can get on any ride with far less waits than normal. So there is a bonus to people who don’t care or couldn’t get on Rise.

Kman101

and yet here I sit today thinking about tomorrow, “I hope they don’t change anything cause I’m getting there around 6am”. But I could very well be sitting there for 2 hours waiting. Impossible to predict.

every amusement park usually has to deal with some % of unhappy customers who can’t access a new ride, since demand is always highest and technical issues usually at its worst in the beginning.

It’s a perfect storm but being in the park the past 2 days I feel they handled it marvelously. Plus as a bonus to EVERYONE, at normal park opening you can get on any ride with far less waits than normal. So there is a bonus to people who don’t care or couldn’t get on Rise.

Exactly. I'm also sitting here wondering what to do tomorrow (or the next day). Now that we know, watch them do it differently tomorrow. I have no plans to get there at 4:00am (I would have if they said "park opens at 6:00am), but I have no problem getting there at 5 or 6 if I actually *know* I have to and can. It's a sucky guessing game, and I get why it can change and be hard to predict, but I do feel badly for those, and yes that includes myself, who were caught in the "sike, we opened early!" today. I can also see why some don't, and yeah, it's easy to say "well you should have known ..." ... No, I really shouldn't have ;) lol

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would think a lottery system in which every day you can put your group in for a chance "to board" seven days later with a portion set aside for resort guests that can put in for the lottery two days advance. If you "win" you receive a time to show up. Winners blacked out from winning again for a month.

Resort guest have access to the seven day and two day lotteries. Locals have access to the seven day lottery year round.

Not totally perfect, but very fair.

No problem of gate rushers trying to beat everyone else so they can ride. No promises to be broken about opening time. No need to open early unexpectedly. No system of "to the hardy go the spoils."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom