Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

IMixHits

I wouldn't wait 5 1/2 hours for 1983 Carrie Fisher in her Jabba slave outfit to give me a personal tour of Batuu. Well, maybe 4 1/2.
Hence the Boarding Groups.... you just said it yourself ;)
I normally would not either, but had a few days break between 2 cities so spent it in Orlando. Didn't wan't to miss out on the ride since I was all the way across the country. Actually, now that you mentioned it was only 45 mins, we waited 30-40 minutes when we were there for the Orlando Informer meetup and the park is closed to the general public so you must have been on an extremely slow day.

smooch

this is true and not just for Disney parks but everywhere. its sad to see how parents now use ipads and phones as replacement for parenting.

recently a cousin came to visit and we took them to a restaurant. first thing that happened when we arrived was to move stuff from table pull out ipads and set them up. the food came and the plate was set up on the side so ipad could be front and centered. not once did the child look up as she stared at the screen with expensive earphones.

we got back in car and movie continued and child still staring at ipad. got home and ipad still on.

pictures of them in universal pictures and a disney always showed the ipad.
pretty sad

I know this post is like a month old, but when I worked at a sushi restaurant for a year in an upper middle class area, I noticed 99% of parents had their kids on iPads. Literally every day I would see multiple children of multiple age ranges on iPads, not interacting with their families. They would be playing games or watching TV shows or YouTube with headphones and the parents wouldn't even attempt to interact with them unless they were trying to get their kid to eat their food because they wouldn't touch it cause they were so involved with their iPads. I can't imagine this is setting these children up for success later in life, people my age already have anxiety doing things like talking on the phone or in person, I can't believe that having someone this isolated from the world from this early on will make it easy for them to interact face to face with other people. Especially with all the messed up content on YouTube Kids that has come under fire (Elsagate, etc.) I would be really really nervous to leave children unattended with iPads. I think letting kids play games without in app purchases within reason is acceptable, but I would also want my potential kids to play with actual toys and go outside and communicate with people, even if it would just be me and my wife, and not ignore us for a screen.

Emmanuel

Almost 1:30 and nothing is slowing ROTR down currently
B70D4217-1A7D-4295-A845-52E9688581EF.png

TP2000

I know this post is like a month old, but when I worked at a sushi restaurant for a year in an upper middle class area, I noticed 99% of parents had their kids on iPads. Literally every day I would see multiple children of multiple age ranges on iPads, not interacting with their families. They would be playing games or watching TV shows or YouTube with headphones and the parents wouldn't even attempt to interact with them unless they were trying to get their kid to eat their food because they wouldn't touch it cause they were so involved with their iPads. I can't imagine this is setting these children up for success later in life, people my age already have anxiety doing things like talking on the phone or in person, I can't believe that having someone this isolated from the world from this early on will make it easy for them to interact face to face with other people. Especially with all the messed up content on YouTube Kids that has come under fire (Elsagate, etc.) I would be really really nervous to leave children unattended with iPads. I think letting kids play games without in app purchases within reason is acceptable, but I would also want my potential kids to play with actual toys and go outside and communicate with people, even if it would just be me and my wife, and not ignore us for a screen.

I have marveled at that recent phenomenon myself! It's very sad to see these kids set up in a booth at a restaurant with an iPad in front of them, just staring blankly at the screen for an hour while the family meal plays out around them.

That said, I will selfishly admit that I love it when parents do that in restaurants because it means the kids are quiet and behave. Decades ago children under 12 were simply not brought out to restaurants fancier than a coffee shop like Denny's or Sambo's. But in the 1990's parents began dragging their kids with them to steakhouses and swanky restaurants, and the result was obnoxious pandemonium that we were all expected to put up with. But today, the Millennials bring their Precious Snowflakes out to any fancy restaurant they want, but the kids don't have the chance to become obnoxious because they are almost immediately lulled into a coma-like state by the iPad while the parents Instagram their appetizer and don't talk to each other. I love it! I can sit and talk with friends or family as if we are in a private dining room! And the waitress or waiter is often so happy to have focused human interaction from us that we get great service.

My family has a strict no-phones rule at any family event or meal. I credit my younger sister for that; she's been ruthless about it for the past decade and it's worked.

What is also working today is Rise Before Dawn. It really seems to do so much better when the park opens at 9am instead of 8am! Already at Boarding Group 90 with no delayed opening and no major breakdowns yet!

bokeh_plot (93).png

Not a good day for Rise after its fantastic first half... Last number was 114 at 7pm.

I pulled 4 but waited all day to ride with my friend who was visiting and got 120 after getting in a few minutes late, so neither of us got to ride. Oh well. It's not going anywhere 🙂

TP2000

Not a good day for Rise after its fantastic first half... Last number was 114 at 7pm.

I pulled 4 but waited all day to ride with my friend who was visiting and got 120 after getting in a few minutes late, so neither of us got to ride. Oh well. It's not going anywhere 🙂

Yes, they had a great first five hours. They opened the ride at 9:05am! That's the earliest after park opening they've ever opened Rise Before Dawn I believe, and probably the very earliest they can open with the Boarding Group system if everyone is on Main Street USA staring at their phones at 9am trying to win a lottery instead of walking towards the ride.

And then they had a very good morning into early afternoon, for five straight hours. Before it all kind of fell apart, and they had multiple break downs that lasted between 90 to 150 minutes.

Disneyland was open 9am to 11pm today. This is the last week of those shorter weekday hours before they go to a daily 8am to Midnight operation for five weeks for Spring Break and Easter Vacation.

Monday 3/2: Open 9:05am, Closed 7:15pm at Boarding Group #114, Closed 7 Hours, Open 7 Hours

bokeh_plot (95).png

TP2000

Um, this dude appears to have gotten under group 15 like 20 times... Does he know something we don’t, cause damn. He has full bars of reception in each attempt so maybe that’s the key?

Wow, that's impressive.

I had full bars of AT&T service up by the train station, on the west side of the platform, but I only got #36. But it was very cold that morning and I was doing finger warm ups, so maybe it helps if you have very nimble finger skills as well as full bars of data available?

Um, this dude appears to have gotten under group 15 like 20 times... Does he know something we don’t, cause damn. He has full bars of reception in each attempt so maybe that’s the key?

It really all comes down to your signal and clicking as quickly as you can through the screens like it's an arcade game. It appears to load extremely quickly for them in the video. They aren't doing anything else different.

For example, with my Sprint, one time I tried to get my group right outside Adventureland, and my signal was not very good despite saying 3 bars, and I got 116 that day and didn't ride.

For me personally right after the turnstiles I have a fantastic signal (I test it by seeing how quickly the app loads the fastpass party screen since that's part of the boarding group process), and have been able to get a low group every time I use that spot. However, I saw someone with another carrier have a much slower signal in the same spot (even though they had full bars), and they got 55 that day.

Trial and error/testing your signal (via the FP party screen) wherever you are going to be standing for the group drop is probably your best best to make sure you get a number low enough to ride that day. Each second you are not clicking a button 10 boarding groups are going by... I try to tell people to just be ready to click the buttons without reading them. I see many people stop to read them, and lose a lot of time.

Last edited:

Atomicmickey

He seems to think that multiple people in a party should ALL try at the same time? Is that right? (comment in his youtube comment area)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom