Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

Curious Constance

One of two things needs to happen before the family trip this summer:
1) This needs to work itself out by then.
OR
2) I'm going to have to make sure my crowd-phobic husband does NOT see this image. My daughter and I have to use all of our feminine charm to get him to agree to go to the parks as it is. This would make him want to cancel. Heck, it half makes me want to cancel.

This is just nuts.

I’m having a hard time dealing with the large crowds at opening. That’s usually the time for tourists like us to get ahead of the crowds and ride a bunch of stuff with little to no lines!!! Now not only do I have to deal with these crowds, but also read a cellphone tower map, disconnect my WIFI to use cellular data (I think?), stand in the right spot, watch a second countdown timer for park opening, at the stoke of opening get my shaking hands to open an app on a sluggish iPhone 6 with my kids anxiously staring at me with that look on their face like they just know I’m going to do something to screw it up, and then hope against hope I've managed to work some magic and win a lottery. 😫

TP2000

Now not only do I have to deal with these crowds, but also read a cellphone tower map, disconnect my WIFI to use cellular data (I think?), stand in the right spot, watch a second countdown timer for park opening, at the stoke of opening get my shaking hands to open an app on a sluggish iPhone 6 with my kids anxiously staring at me with that look on their face like they just know I’m going to do something to screw it up, and then hope against hope I've managed to work some magic and win a lottery. 😫

Welcome to Disneyland! You are on vacation! Isn't this fun?!? :p

Your gracious thank you note from you and the children may be sent to;

Mr. Bob Chapek, Chairman Disney Parks, Experiences and Products
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA
91521-0991

Curious Constance

Burbank, CA
91521-0991

Perfect! I’ve got the body of the letter finished. I just need to get the kids to sign it. Here’s a copy of it:

🖕

Darkbeer1

I’m having a hard time dealing with the large crowds at opening. That’s usually the time for tourists like us to get ahead of the crowds and ride a bunch of stuff with little to no lines!!! Now not only do I have to deal with these crowds, but also read a cellphone tower map, disconnect my WIFI to use cellular data (I think?), stand in the right spot, watch a second countdown timer for park opening, at the stoke of opening get my shaking hands to open an app on a sluggish iPhone 6 with my kids anxiously staring at me with that look on their face like they just know I’m going to do something to screw it up, and then hope against hope I've managed to work some magic and win a lottery. 😫
Please do not send any love letters to the city or Visit Anaheim.

But then, since Disneyland is in Los Angeles, please send your note to Mayor Garcetti c/o LA City Hall.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I'm going to print this map out and take it with me on my next visit to the park and bore people stuck next to me in line with it.

And I love that there's an AT&T tower right at the entrance to Tomorrowland, where the old Bell System AT&T CircleVision pavilion was for decades. It's almost as if God and Walt and Alexander Graham Bell all conspired to put it there on purpose!

7a3e6561ec007edb7c372652b9045123.jpg

And in completely unrelated news, look how fabulous that lady on the left looks in that mod zig-zag pantsuit with matching bag and tomato red summer scarf!
Also diggin' lady on the right's forest green 2-piece, and basket handbag! ;)
Vintage Disneyland photos are awesome.

TP2000

Also diggin' lady on the right's forest green 2-piece, and basket handbag! ;)
Vintage Disneyland photos are awesome.

I saw her too, she's fun. And she's on an official Guided Tour because you can see the blue velvet hat with little gold pin of the Disneyland Tour Guide just poking above that group. The Tour Guide is probably about to explain how the mural on their left represents the spirit of communication with the world, while the mural on their right represents the power of the sun and energy.

And then there's those two relatively dowdy housewives in the middle in their Butterick pattern shift dresses in ugly flowered patterns and clashing handbags. Boo!

Judging by the knee skimming hemlines on the middle aged women, plus their helmet hairdos, and the higher hemlines or slacks and looser hairdos on the young women in addition to the one fashion-forward Op Art pantsuit girl, plus the I'm-growing-it-out-but-still-using-Brylcream haircuts on the younger men, I would peg this photo as being from 1969. Also, the PeopleMover has the chrome safety cages installed on the cars that didn't appear until 1968. But the fashions and hair of the crowd looks a year or so later, so I bet two churros on 1969. It doesn't quite look like 1970 to me, and 1968 seems a recent memory to this crowd. So it's 1969.

Yes, I really am that good. :cool:

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I saw her too, she's fun. And she's on an official Guided Tour because you can see the blue velvet hat with little gold pin of the Disneyland Tour Guide just poking above that group.

And then there's those two relatively dowdy housewives in the middle in their Butterick pattern shift dresses in ugly flowered patterns and clashing handbags. Boo!

Judging by the knee skimming hemlines on the middle aged women, plus their helmet hairdos, and the higher hemlines or slacks and looser hairdos on the young women in addition to the one fashion-forward Op Art pantsuit girl, plus the I'm-growing-it-out-but-still-using-Brylcream haircuts on the younger men, I would peg this photo as being from 1969. Also, the PeopleMover has the the chrome safety cages installed on the cars that didn't appear until 1968. But the fashions and hair of the crowd looks a year or so later, so I bet two churros on 1969. It doesn't quite look like 1970 to me, and 1968 seems a recent memory to this crowd. So it's 1969.

Wow, so many details to look at on that photo!
I remember seeing late 60's photos of my MIL with the helmet hairdo.
Fashion-wise, what the guys are wearing, (with the exception of the long-ish socks) wouldn't look out of place today, just not in a park, where most people wear t-shirts these days.
Just 1 wheelchair and 1 stroller in sight!

Anyway, pretty sure you'd win the two churros! 😄

TP2000

After a rather disastrous weekend, they had a great day and avoided a Manic Monday! (With apologies to The Bangles)

Disneyland was open 9am to 11pm today.

Monday 2/25: Open 9:15am, Last Call 8:30pm at Boarding Group 138!, Closed 4 Hours, Open 10 Hours!
bokeh_plot (85).png

Just 1 wheelchair and 1 stroller in sight!

And did you notice those little stroller parking lines next to the Bell System building? I had forgotten that Disneyland used to do that for strollers! I wonder when that stopped? Maybe the 1980's?

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Thanks for keeping on top of this TP2000.

I gained some more insights to both the original problems, and the current ones tonight.

The only hint I can give is that the two are related.

I made joking comments about getting access to Rise before Dawn through the TDA staff. Well, tonight Rebecca invited everyone in the room (about 100) to contact them and they would make it happen. So yes, to the right people, the Plaids can get Fast Pass access to RotR.

That said, for those using money to get Plaids, sorry, that won't work directly. But I can put you in touch with some Politicians who would find a way to arrange a high paying donor to visit the park as part of their group....

Interesting evening, both during the meeting, and after. Ended up at GardenWalk, and it is getting more gaudy each visit. Love the animals on Disney Way.

fryoj

Unfortunately they couldn't work on one set of drops or lifts and have the ride running. It would need to be completely down for them to access those areas.

Does that mean they cannot work on the ride at all during operation or is it something specific to the lift/drops? I'm guessing there might be OSHA implications to this as well.

RobWDW1971

I saw her too, she's fun. And she's on an official Guided Tour because you can see the blue velvet hat with little gold pin of the Disneyland Tour Guide just poking above that group. The Tour Guide is probably about to explain how the mural on their left represents the spirit of communication with the world, while the mural on their right represents the power of the sun and energy.

Judging by the knee skimming hemlines on the middle aged women, plus their helmet hairdos, and the higher hemlines or slacks and looser hairdos on the young women in addition to the one fashion-forward Op Art pantsuit girl, plus the I'm-growing-it-out-but-still-using-Brylcream haircuts on the younger men, I would peg this photo as being from 1969. Also, the PeopleMover has the chrome safety cages installed on the cars that didn't appear until 1968. But the fashions and hair of the crowd looks a year or so later, so I bet two churros on 1969. It doesn't quite look like 1970 to me, and 1968 seems a recent memory to this crowd. So it's 1969.

That may be simultaneously the most awesome and gayest post I've ever read. :)

Last edited:

TheRealBobIger

Burbank, CA
91521-0991

CC: @realBobChapek You are finally getting famous Bob #2! You are receiving thank you notes!!! What a time to be alive!

IMixHits

I got Group 48! So excited. Thanks for the tips everyone!

What method did you use to get your boarding group?
I get here early, post up near the Main Street Railroad station, restart all phones, use data (Verizon) not Wifi, synced to atomic clock, and just get lucky. Now, something odd. The guy behind me in line to enter the park shares the same birthday as me (today) and he got group 1. Birthday magic for us both? Group was called almost immediately, zero line all the way to mission room. Was in “A” mode with the exception of blaster cannons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom