Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

Rich Brownn

I wonder how mechanically and electronically similar the transport vehicle is to the Ratatouille trackless vehicle? Just them being cheap reusing existing tech?

RatatouillePantry.jpg

Why couldn't they give us a trackless or even tracked version of the Great Movie Ride vehicle? I guess something that big couldn't dance?

IMG_8893-825x619.jpg
The GMR were trackless, but not wireless. Like UoE and ToT, the cars follow a wire embedded in the concrete. so you are correct - they would be unable to cross over previous places the cars had gone.

NobodyElse

Exactly, and doing your homework definitely isn't unique to Disney Parks. When we visited the DMZ we had to book a number of days ahead and provide passport information or we couldn't go.I

I do have a question, though. Is there any idea of the number of percent of people who do get a Boarding Group but never show up?

A little O.T., but that reminds me of a White House tour I took several years ago. Checking in at the guard gate, a guard had to casually ask a woman what she was going to do with her purse. She had no good answer, and thus was unable to take the tour.

What items are prohibited on a White House tour?
Prohibited Items
  • Video Recorders.
  • Handbags, book bags, backpacks or purses.
  • Food or beverages, tobacco products, personal grooming items (i.e. makeup, lotion, etc.)
  • Strollers.
  • Any pointed objects.
  • Aerosol containers.
  • Guns, ammunition, fireworks, electric stun guns, mace, martial arts weapons/devices, or knives of any size.
While one shouldn't have to be a rocket scientist to be a tourist, a minimal amount of homework is always advisable.

TP2000

After yesterday's crummy performance, they aren't off to a good start today. I noticed this a few hours ago when I was down at my Dunkin' Donuts having a rather naughty breakfast, but couldn't post this graph until now.

The ride was over two and a half hours late in opening this morning. Disneyland opened at 8am but they didn't open the ride until 10:40am. :rolleyes:

bokeh_plot (63).png

TP2000

Wider hallways and bigger shafts and motion bases would completely change the feel of the ride. Bigger vehicles wouldn't be able to move as quickly.

Huh? They invented this entire show concept out of whole cloth. WDI could make this with however many seats they wanted. And the thing basically glides smoothly around on a slick linoleum floor, it's not a wild and bumpy ride that throws you around like Indiana Jones.

Until two months ago no human had any point of reference for how big a prisoner transport vehicle onboard a First Order Star Destroyer is supposed to be. Does it seat 4 people, or 40 people? No one knew because we'd never seen one before. I can understand why a trackless vehicle has limitations on engineering and stresses, but there's no reason why they couldn't build them a bit larger. Why are there only two of them that travel together? Why not six of them traveling in a pack? Why aren't they articulated to seat more people?

This entire show concept was invented out of thin air, with no known point of reference for anyone on the planet. Except maybe seeing a prison bus drive down the freeway? But a prison bus seats 50 bad guys and a few guards. So why does this Star Wars Land ride vehicle only seat 8 of us?

prison-bus-600-4.jpg

Speaking of prison, there's a bunch of paying customers now stuck in the queue at Rise Before Dawn. :banghead:

After not opening for over two and a half hours after the park opened this morning, the ride promptly broke down and has been stuck on Boarding Group 31 for the past hour. Disneyland is very busy today and open from 8am to Midnight.

bokeh_plot (69).png

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I am really glad that Disney tries to be something more than just really good at making roller coasters.
Meanwhile Disney is getting ready to open the most immersive coaster ever made in flordia with GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY COSMIC REWIND so that is 2 arguments you have lost against me. What else you got?

SaskDaddy

They had a crummy day today. In their defense though, they waited until 8:55pm before they called their last Boarding Group, instead of the usual 8:30pm for Last Call. Disneyland was busy again today this holiday week, a gorgeous and spring-like day, and the park is open 8am to 11pm.

Thursday 2/20: Open 8:40am, Closed 8:55pm at Boarding Group 92, Open 6.5 Hours, Closed 8.5 Hours

View attachment 450716

Made the long journey from Saskatchewan to Disneyland and got Group 65 yesterday. We didn’t get the call to board until nearly 5:00. But, the ride was amazing! (And, we got to go on 12 other rides while “not” waiting in line.)

By the way, we were in the park last July and it seemed MUCH busier yesterday.

SoCalMort

...Why are there only two of them that travel together? Why not six of them traveling in a pack? Why aren't they articulated to seat more people? ...So why does this Star Wars Land ride vehicle only seat 8 of us?

Because I have absolutely no connection whatsoever to WDI staff or their decision-making process I feel eminently qualified to render an opinion on this subject. ;)

While I don't consider RotR to be a grand slam I think this seating and dispatch arrangement is a great fit for the attraction's story and tone. The snugness of two rows of four creates an intimate group that feels outnumbered and overpowered by the setting and two vehicles zigzagging together creates, at least for me, the most exciting element of the ride.

I understand the capacity concerns this raises, especially early in the attraction's life. Yet many here, including myself, feel its repeatability factor isn't off the chart so in the long run this very likely won't be an issue or the concern it is at the moment.

el_super

Meanwhile Disney is getting ready to open the most immersive coaster ever made in flordia with GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY COSMIC REWIND so that is 2 arguments you have lost against me. What else you got?

They are really good at making roller coasters, but I am still glad that they try to do other things. See how those two statements aren't really exclusive of one another?

And since I like Rise of the Resistance, I don't really see how I am losing anything in this situation.

el_super

Huh? They invented this entire show concept out of whole cloth. WDI could make this with however many seats they wanted.

So what is the more obvious solution here... That the braintrust of WDI just couldn't figure out what some armchair Imagineers on the internet could so plainly see...or that there were other artistic/engineering factors at play here that is not public knowledge?

And the point I was trying to make about the vehicles being larger was more about physics than anything. If they make the vehicles bigger they would have to turn more slowly to avoid snapping necks.

TP2000

So what is the more obvious solution here... That the braintrust of WDI just couldn't figure out what some armchair Imagineers on the internet could so plainly see...or that there were other artistic/engineering factors at play here that is not public knowledge?

It appears that the braintrust at WDI just couldn't figure it out.

Today is a great example, as just before I'm about to head out to a dinner I checked in on Rise Before Dawn and noticed that they appear to be going at a much slower pace of calling Boarding Groups today than last weekend. Even when they recovered from their first break down this morning, they were only calling about 8 or 9 Boarding Groups per hour for three straight hours, whereas last weekend they were able to call 20 to 22 Boarding Groups per hour after reopening from break downs.

They appear to have dialed back their vehicle capacity today, which may have something to do with the fact they were unable to open until 10:40am this morning even though Disneyland opened at 8am. This is a really crummy day again for them today, after yesterday's mess. Heading towards 6pm they have been broken for the last 90 minutes and are stuck on Boarding Group 63 for the day.

Last Friday is the blue line and today is the red line.

bokeh_plot (72).png

Last edited:

el_super

It appears that the braintrust at WDI just couldn't figure it out.

Or maybe it just didn't matter all that much?

This of the capacity for Radiator Springs Racers and how frequently it still breaks down. Line still routinely hits 90+ minutes. Hasn't done anything to curb excitement for the ride or stop people from lining up. It's still considered a highlight of the park.

So what exactly do you think is the harm being done by having Rise open? You think people will stop going to Disneyland because they can't get on one ride, or do you think they will just go ride Pirates instead?

TP2000

And the point I was trying to make about the vehicles being larger was more about physics than anything. If they make the vehicles bigger they would have to turn more slowly to avoid snapping necks.

The vehicles at Indiana Jones are almost twice the size and throw you around like a rag doll. On purpose. And they don't have to staff a nurse at the unload dock to tend to the wounded.

Something tells me they could design a 20 passenger vehicle that can glide around Darth Vader's linoleum floor without snapping necks.

TP2000

So what exactly do you think is the harm being done by having Rise open? You think people will stop going to Disneyland because they can't get on one ride, or do you think they will just go ride Pirates instead?

No, not at all, the tourists will still believe the commercials and still show up. But as an AP, I'm not rushing back there at dawn anytime soon.

But I can guarantee you that when a Billion dollars was budgeted for this land five years ago, the PowerPoint presentation didn't include the information that this ride will carry only 1,200 riders per hour and be closed five to ten hours per operating day.

I bet WDI had a very rosy spin about how great this ride was supposed to be when it opened in 2019 2020.

Meanwhile, at Disneyland.... it's still closed.

bokeh_plot (73).png

And the Eisenberg family would like a word with someone. 🤣

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

They are really good at making roller coasters, but I am still glad that they try to do other things. See how those two statements aren't really exclusive of one another?

And since I like Rise of the Resistance, I don't really see how I am losing anything in this situation.
because your original post i replied to was you essential saying that a roller coaster with star wars music couldn't be as good as rise and i flat out disagree with your hypothesis and disproved it with the hagrid example. so that is one hot 'L" you took. then you came back with that disney did not go the coaster root and went with a different ride system indicating you do not think a coaster can be a good immersive ride then i pointed out it is with my GUADIANS example which is hot "L" number 2 for you. you stared this by knocking coasters so i knocked you back.

because your original post i replied to was you essential saying that a roller coaster with star wars music couldn't be as good as rise and i flat out disagree with your hypothesis and disproved it with the hagrid example. so that is one hot 'L" you took. then you came back with that disney did not go the coaster root and went with a different ride system indicating you do not think a coaster can be a good immersive ride then i pointed out it is with my GUADIANS example which is hot "L" number 2 for you. you stared this by knocking coasters so i knocked you back.
Who are you?
The only thing worse than bringing up Hagrids Motorbike coaster in a discussion of ride reliability and capacity, is your spelling and grammar..

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Mr.??? You're assuming a lot, for example your rules..Unlike you, I dont care how long you've been here, or who you are. I wouldn't discount someone elses opinion or experience based on post count or how long they've been registered...
It is supposed to be spelled 'don't' not "dont" as you spelled it sir. And again, when it hits 11-2020 feel free to talk to me, until then, you can use the ignore button.

It is supposed to be spelled 'don't' not "dont" as you spelled it sir. And again, when it hits 11-2020 feel free to talk to me, until then, you can use the ignore button.
Feel free to bring up my one missed apostrophe and ignore your dumpster fire of grammar prior. Or more on topic let's revisit your spooning for a coaster that even after months and months of use, still has a record that RotR would be ashamed of..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom