Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

flynnibus

Premium Member
this is the kind of thing that stresses me out just thinking about it. i don’t hate the idea of the VQ but the fact that it’s all luck-of-the-draw with your phone really bugs me. i’m the person at the turnstile who accidentally taps the calendar link on their phone ticket and then has to wait what feels like 6 months for it to reload

It's basically a lottery system.. that people need to be present, and diligent to play in.

It was discussed at length in the DHS thread... how the 'lottery' vs 'enable once you get through the gate' models differ. But I think what we have seen is on days where pressure is not maximum... the 'lottery' system they do now by releasing BGs AFTER people have had time in the park is working and is not a 'race for a 1min window'. Backup Boarding groups frequently are lasting 2hrs after opening when the park isn't slammed. Given DLR's visiting profile.. I expect that kind of reality more frequently too.

RobWDW1971

What will be more interesting long-term is the attendance impact from an attraction that can only support such a small percentage of the existing attendance. If you can't service a reasonable amount of the existing attendance, how can it generate growth? At DHS, since attendance is so low and the attraction lineup is so small, it plays a very different role. Will be fascinating to watch the dynamic. BTW, yet another reason why it should have been built at DCA.

Darkbeer1

>>Star Wars fans rose early to be the first to ride the highly-anticipated new Rise of the Resistance attraction at Disneyland.

Thousands of fans lined up as early as 2 a.m. Friday, Jan. 17 on opening day for the new Star Wars trackless dark ride at the Anaheim theme park. All of the boarding group passes for the entire day were distributed within 6 minutes, according to Disneyland Guest Relations.

The attraction broke down at 9:55 a.m. on its first day, apparently because of the kinds of technical issues that have bedeviled the version of the ride at Disney’s Hollywood Studios since it opened there on Dec. 5. Riders were evacuated from the Ready Room after a holographic Rey failed to appear. The Resistance transport ship also appeared to be down.<<

>>By 5 a.m., the lines to get into Disneyland stretched all the way to the gates of Disney California Adventure.

Around 5:45 a.m., Disneyland opened the gates and loaded anxious fans onto Main Street U.S.A. to wait for the official 8 a.m. opening of the park.

At 8 a.m., the virtual queue on the Disneyland app opened to allow fans a chance to nab digital boarding passes to ride Rise of the Resistance later in the day. Groups were numbered up to 160, with those numbered 82 and higher being on “standby” status.<<

shambolicdefending

I'm seeing a lot of tweets that the rest of the park is pleasant and not too crowded. Sounds like a lot of APs went home after riding Rise or not getting a BG.
Any rush in crowds was always going to be contained to the early morning hours. Nobody was going to show up after rope drop today that wouldn't normally be showing up on a Friday in mid-January.

Ismael Flores

Yes, all the idiots who were out there at 2am were just wasting their time. It just goes to show just how engrained behavior is.

You only need to get there early enough to get through the gates before BGs open. The big variable in DLR is security and parking.

How long it takes is going to vary based on how many people get there early, and how early Disney opens the turnstiles to drain that backup.
This is reassuring as it looks like lining up early is pointless IMO. If someone were to arrive at 7 they should be fine.

what happens if you arrive by 7 and the crowd is already huge? by the time you go thru the gate and try to get a boarding group they might be gone because everyone in front of you did the same thing.

If you are a one time guests it makes sense to get there as early as possible to be closest to the fornt of the line and get a better chance. If the person is an annual passholder it makes no sense to be there so early because its not like the ride will be gone next month.

Ismael Flores

So how is it going today? Anyone know? Can we see a wait time?
app does not show wait time, the app just says all boarding groups gone and that boarding groups 81 and above are not guaranteed a ride.

It does say what boarding group is boarding so i guess that is a good indication of how well the ride is moving along.

RobWDW1971

So how is it going today? Anyone know? Can we see a wait time?
You won't see a wait time for ROTR as that's on BG, but the rest of the park is relatively normal with noon wait times of MFSR at 40, Pirates 15, Peter Pan 30, Mansion 35, Space 20, Splash 5, etc.

flynnibus

Premium Member
what happens if you arrive by 7 and the crowd is already huge? by the time you go thru the gate and try to get a boarding group they might be gone because everyone in front of you did the same thing.

If you are a one time guests it makes sense to get there as early as possible to be closest to the fornt of the line and get a better chance. If the person is an annual passholder it makes no sense to be there so early because its not like the ride will be gone next month.

No.. all you need to do is be there soon enough to get through the turnstyles. There is a significant amount of time between when the turnstiles open, and when BGs open.

If it's only taking 15-20mins to get through the crowds at the turnstiles... there is no benefit from being there hours early to wait.

We have to see how long it will take on average at DLR... but when was the last time you heard of it taking more than 30+mins to get through the turnstyle crowds?

You only need to be there soon enough to get through security and the turnstyle. In DHS that has been less than 30mins typically. We have to see what it will be at DLR.. but likely less than an hour. No point queuing up to be the first through the gates... everyone who is through the gates are equals.

Ismael Flores

did anyone see the pictures on twitter for RISE in WDW earlier today? The ride was down and guests that were scheduled to ride next were in the queue tunnels sitting on the ground. Castmembers were passing out free snacks

Phroobar

app does not show wait time, the app just says all boarding groups gone and that boarding groups 81 and above are not guaranteed a ride.

It does say what boarding group is boarding so i guess that is a good indication of how well the ride is moving along.
So checking it says groups 17-37 are now loading at noon. If they are open 16 hours today (8am-midnight) and they do 81 BG in 16 hours that is 5 BG per hour. So for 4 hours they should be 20 BGs done. So it sounds like they are on track.

Purduevian

So checking it says groups 17-37 are now loading at noon. If they are open 16 hours today (8am-midnight) and they do 81 BG in 16 hours that is 5 BG per hour. So for 4 hours they should be 20 BGs done. So it sounds like they are on track.

Assuming boarding groups are the same size, when the ride is running, they call a new group every 6 minutes, or 10 an hour. They will stop calling groups with an hour left, giving them 11 hours left to call groups. Assuming no breakdowns, 147 should be the last group done. If I was holding a back up under 120, I would feel pretty confident.

Phroobar

Assuming boarding groups are the same size, when the ride is running, they call a new group every 6 minutes, or 10 an hour. They will stop calling groups with an hour left, giving them 11 hours left to call groups. Assuming no breakdowns, 147 should be the last group done. If I was holding a back up under 120, I would feel pretty confident.
Makes sense.
I would assume that if there were hoards of people like there was at DHS that the other rides would have longer load times. It sounds like a rather pleasant day there today. there is none of this....
IMG_0879.jpeg

I arrived at 5:30 this morning, ended up at boarding group 80. It's gonna be a long day 😅
Also I attached some pictures from this morning.

Attachments

• photo_2020-01-17_05-28-58.jpg
    photo_2020-01-17_05-28-58.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 69
  • photo_2020-01-17_05-53-12.jpg
    photo_2020-01-17_05-53-12.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 69
  • photo_2020-01-17_06-12-35.jpg
    photo_2020-01-17_06-12-35.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 80
  • photo_2020-01-17_06-41-45.jpg
    photo_2020-01-17_06-41-45.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 73
  • photo_2020-01-17_07-52-40.jpg
    photo_2020-01-17_07-52-40.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 74

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom