Star Wars Park?

tribbleorlfl

I ve asked this question before but ill ask it again....
agree or disagree
you open a star wars theme park and I open a theme park with star wars, marvel, Pixar, avatar
I out draw you by a lot...diversity is key to all demographics
I absolutely agree you want to have a mixture of experiences to appeal to the widest amount of people in order to be successful.

That being said, just because a potential SW park is based on a single IP, doesn't mean it would have a homogeneous appearance. All of the different planets, characters and factions lend themselves to a wide variety of attractions. There are few IP's that could get away with that all the while appealing to a wide swath of demographics; SW would be on the top of the list.

The questions in my mind aren't whether SW could support a whole park or attract enough people to be viable, rather, does Disney have the desire to invest the capital required to build a 5th gate, and would it cannibalize visits from the other 3 half-day parks? The answers are NOPE and perhaps.

twebber55

I absolutely agree you want to have a mixture of experiences to appeal to the widest amount of people in order to be successful.

That being said, just because a potential SW park is based on a single IP, doesn't mean it would have a homogeneous appearance. All of the different planets, characters and factions lend themselves to a wide variety of attractions. There are few IP's that could get away with that all the while appealing to a wide swath of demographics; SW would be on the top of the list.

The questions in my mind aren't whether SW could support a whole park or attract enough people to be viable, rather, does Disney have the desire to invest the capital required to build a 5th gate, and would it cannibalize visits from the other 3 half-day parks? The answers are NOPE and perhaps.
Star Wars is pretty boy centric

MotherOfBirds

Star Wars is pretty boy centric

No, SW's marketing is pretty boy-centric. While the most hardcore of the nerd-dom is less diverse, there are a metric crap-ton of female SW fans, among them my mother, myself, and my elementary school-aged sister. People assume that you need to slap pink glitter on everything to get girls to pay attention, but the fact is that we need to stop assuming that girls aren't interested and then ignoring them when it comes time to make merch/attractions. Just make something fun and interesting.

OSUgirl77

No, SW's marketing is pretty boy-centric. While the most hardcore of the nerd-dom is less diverse, there are a metric crap-ton of female SW fans, among them my mother, myself, and my elementary school-aged sister. People assume that you need to slap pink glitter on everything to get girls to pay attention, but the fact is that we need to stop assuming that girls aren't interested and then ignoring them when it comes time to make merch/attractions. Just make something fun and interesting.
You beat me to it, can't like this post enough! Well said.

Kman101

I would love a Star Wars park, and it's popularity goes without saying, but I don't think basing any park on a specific franchise (boutique or not) would work. I'm not a fan of that. For Star Wars or Potter. COULD it work? Possibly but I don't think it's a good idea, as much as I would love to see it.

Tigger1988

Yup, the success of Her Universe kinda proves that SW is not just for boys.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Marni, you think they would consider combining SW and Marvel for one park? Seem like it would be an odd thematic fit, but it seems like the only way to accomplish both on the West Coast.
It's possible but I don't know.

A Marvel gate was under serious consideration for a while for DL.

righttrack

I love Star Wars as much as the next person, but I hope Hollywood Studios doesn't become too overly saturated in it.

I can understand where you're coming from if the concept of "Hollywood Studios" were in fact viable based on where they are going. This park is quickly turning into "Disney's Florida Adventure". They started that the day they ceased operations as a working studio.

I can understand where you're coming from if the concept of "Hollywood Studios" were in fact viable based on where they are going. This park is quickly turning into "Disney's Florida Adventure". They started that the day they ceased operations as a working studio.
I agree that it's gone a bit away from the studio theme, but it's definitely way more movie based than Florida based and frankly I hope it stays that way with some improvements. I think it would be weird to have a Florida themed themepark with Florida landmarks when you're already in Florida.

lobelia

I like Star Wars. I'm a girl. I like pink glitter. If you put pink glitter on my Star Wars I will cut you.

A fifth gate for just Star Wars may be possible, but I don't want to pay an additional entrance fee just to see a few rides and restaurants. It will take years to design and build enough infrastructure to make it worth paying Disney's Parks entrance fees.

Settling it at DHS as a land makes much more sense. Filling up a park that is lacking attractions, while providing a smattering of Star Wars attractions makes sense to me. Just locate in a area that can be expanded in order to complete a well thought out experience.

I like Star Wars. I'm a girl. I like pink glitter. If you put pink glitter on my Star Wars I will cut you.

A fifth gate for just Star Wars may be possible, but I don't want to pay an additional entrance fee just to see a few rides and restaurants. It will take years to design and build enough infrastructure to make it worth paying Disney's Parks entrance fees.

Settling it at DHS as a land makes much more sense. Filling up a park that is lacking attractions, while providing a smattering of Star Wars attractions makes sense to me. Just locate in a area that can be expanded in order to complete a well thought out experience.
My sentiments all around haha

righttrack

It does come down to that. What is worth these ticket prices? As a park-hopping family, it doesn't bother me to have a 3 hour park. To many others, why even show up to go on a half-day's attractions at most? They need to fill HS and AK with more. Not just more walking, more stuff.

Steel City Magic

Are there still plans for Marvel stuff in the Hollywoodland area of DCA? Seems to me that the best option would be to make that into a full blown Monstropolis, as previous planned, and save the Marvel stuff for a third gate. Why put Marvel in DCA if you are likely to put it into a third gate there?

That would be awesome! I'm all about different rides/parks unique to the place, instead of clones in every park with varying quality. Only other thing i could ask for were unique IPs instead of based on an existing IP when it comes to rides, but oh well. I actually think that the contract with Universal for Marvel is actually a godsend in that we'll have different, unique rides and attractions on the east and west coast instead of the same experience at every park. Makes me excited and WANT to visit both WDW and DL.

HauntedMansionFLA

while im looking forward to any new SW presence in the "world", i have my doubts to how creative and cutting edge the new attractions will be without lucas overseeing it all..
i have higher hopes for pandora because cameron is involved.
much like how jk rowling wouldn't compromise her vision.

regards to theming a SW land... Disney will do it right.
I hope so, we will have Pandora to thank later. Disney will have to top the world of avatar land with the most themed land they have created ever. Go over to the Avatar threads to see what's going on over at DAK. Very exciting.

Bairstow

while im looking forward to any new SW presence in the "world", i have my doubts to how creative and cutting edge the new attractions will be without lucas overseeing it all..
i have higher hopes for pandora because cameron is involved.
much like how jk rowling wouldn't compromise her vision.

regards to theming a SW land... Disney will do it right.

The less input George has on the eventual theme park incarnations of the movies, the better it will be for everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom