Star Wars Land

Festivus

I think jt is referring to the sure-to-be-record-breaking box office. He's planning to take credit for predicting something as obvious as the sun coming up in the morning.

Totally agree. That scene in ST:ID was such a massive mis-step. I could not believe what I was seeing. And to follow it up with resurrection by Tribble was adding insult to injury. Hopefully, it is a result of Abrams just not understanding Trek.
I think it's a case of JJ's underlings blowing too much sunshine up his and no one having the testicular fortitude to tell him it was a bad idea. Much the same way I think people didn't want to disagree with Lucas during the production of the prequels.

Festivus

This never made sense to me. I know they established that there was a lot of infighting among the Sith so that's why there are only 2. But they act like if you can manipulate the Force, you have to become a Sith if you want to be evil. Like there's an angry Padawan sitting around saying "Man, I got so much anger and hatred in me...I just want to force choke my mother. If one of those Darth guys bites it, she better watch out."
Did they actually establish the infighting in the films or was that an expanded universe thing? I don't recall it, maybe I have research them.

Cody5242

Actually I predicted it would break all box office records. That is rather specific. That is if they get at least two of the original stars and a decent script is written.
I predict it will have a $180 million weekend and will finish with $2.05 billion worldwide. Great word of mouth will give it legs especially for the people who are skeptical about it

Festivus

They can throw out any and all rules established in the prequels. None of them made any sense. Midichlorons (or whatever) should never be mentioned again. The 2-person Sith was equally laughable.

Even within Jedi, Luke killed a lot of people on Jabba's skiff without giving it much thought. How many stormtroopers did her kill over the course of the series? But all the sudden his hands are tied when he is facing the two most evil people in the universe?

Made no sense.
By that rationale, lets throw out the whole Darth is Luke's father thing too. I agree that midichlorian's were not a high point of the prequels, and I don't think they really need to be mentioned again in the sequel's, but they are part of what exist in the established films. Warts and all. It sounds like you're in favor of "JJ Star Wars" where he throws established plot anchors out the window and creates his own rules, like in Star Trek. Now that would be tragic.

As far as the 2 sith rule, that's actually something that, to me, would make sense changing. As it all played out in the 6 existing films, the real enemy was the Sith who used their power and influence to take control of the Republic and create the Empire. So since they are Sith, why not break the rules and have an army of Sith that would be the new threat in the sequels. With that in mind, it would enforce the strength and tradition of the Jedi to hold true to their past.

Jabba's Skiff? Gangsters, Bounty Hunters, and other baddies. They had it coming...

doctornick

This never made sense to me. I know they established that there was a lot of infighting among the Sith so that's why there are only 2. But they act like if you can manipulate the Force, you have to become a Sith if you want to be evil. Like there's an angry Padawan sitting around saying "Man, I got so much anger and hatred in me...I just want to force choke my mother. If one of those Darth guys bites it, she better watch out."

Well, in the Clone Wars cartoon, there was other force using people who were evil (Ventress, Savage Opress) so I think your assessment is correct. The Jedi, I guess, were just too closed minded to see it that way and just assumed that only the Sith were around as evil force wielders.

Also, I think the EU (or maybe it was in the movies) has established that the Sith were once numerous, like the Jedi but they switched to only 2. There's no reason that Ep VII and beyond have to be constrained by that -- they could easily say that someone has founded a new Sith order and returned to he old ways and abolished the rule of 2 and gone on to train as many Sith as possible and amass a force using army.

lebeau

By that rationale, lets throw out the whole Darth is Luke's father thing too. I agree that midichlorian's were not a high point of the prequels, and I don't think they really need to be mentioned again in the sequel's, but they are part of what exist in the established films. Warts and all. It sounds like you're in favor of "JJ Star Wars" where he throws established plot anchors out the window and creates his own rules, like in Star Trek. Now that would be tragic.

No. Anything in the original trilogy is cannon. Prequels, I can live without. ;)

I'm not saying they should go out of their way to contradict the prequels. But there's no need to reference that garbage. I figure continuity won't be much of an issue since the story takes place AFTER everything else. There's no need to bring up the past.

Jabba's Skiff? Gangsters, Bounty Hunters, and other baddies. They had it coming...
[/quote]

Sure they did. But no one in the universe had it coming more than Vader and the Emporer.

Festivus

No. Anything in the original trilogy is cannon. Prequels, I can live without. ;)

I'm not saying they should go out of their way to contradict the prequels. But there's no need to reference that garbage. I figure continuity won't be much of an issue since the story takes place AFTER everything else. There's no need to bring up the past.

I'm sure that whatever they come up with for the sequels will be very heavyweight on original trilogy references. I just don't want JJ to run wild like it was his franchise to muck with. I think he may have been a better choice for a spin off SW film.

Speaking of spin off's and prequels I would love to see Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead play Boba Fett in the BF spin off. I know that's not possible but I think he would be the perfect Boba Fett.

jt04

I predict it will have a $180 million weekend and will finish with $2.05 billion worldwide. Great word of mouth will give it legs especially for the people who are skeptical about it

Agreed. A great compelling script could even drive it past Avatar. We have seen enough CGI to last a lifetime even with 3D. And that is all great. But story is what makes for a great movie. Great dialog and intrigue. And of course a great soundtrack. Seems easy enough. Heh.

bhg469

I'm sure that whatever they come up with for the sequels will be very heavyweight on original trilogy references. I just don't want JJ to run wild like it was his franchise to muck with. I think he may have been a better choice for a spin off SW film.

Speaking of spin off's and prequels I would love to see Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead play Boba Fett in the BF spin off. I know that's not possible but I think he would be the perfect Boba Fett.
Hopefully that's a prequel, I'm in the boba fett is dead camp. Bringing him back in the novels was a fanboy move.

lebeau

Hopefully that's a prequel, I'm in the boba fett is dead camp. Bringing him back in the novels was a fanboy move.

That's a really easy death to undo. It didn't sound like a quick death. And our heroes were gone from the scene shortly thereafter.

spacemt354

Chili's
I thought Sith only came in pairs, not that there were only 2.
This was at the end of the Phantom Menace, Windu and Yoda were debating whether the Sith was destroyed with Darth Maul's death. That's when Yoda chimed in saying that there's always 2 Sith, a master and an apprentice.

I don't think that was meant to infer there can only be 2 Sith present at a time, just that Darth Maul's death wasn't the end of the Sith and there was another.

RAXIP

I thought Sith only came in pairs, not that there were only 2.
This was at the end of the Phantom Menace, Windu and Yoda were debating whether the Sith was destroyed with Darth Maul's death. That's when Yoda chimed in saying that there's always 2 Sith, a master and an apprentice.

I don't think that was meant to infer there can only be 2 Sith present at a time, just that Darth Maul's death wasn't the end of the Sith and there was another.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rule_of_Two

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom