Star Wars Land

djlaosc

I meant years. So, shame on me for not knowing that they were that old. However, it just doesn't seem like they're that old. Maybe they're due, but I would rather see a history of animation from pencil to pixel kind of expose history devoted to Disney and Pixar, not just Pixar.

I would guess that for most people, when they think Pixar, they think Toy Story, not their work on graphics for Lucasfilm, or even The Adventures of Andre and Wally B. So, for most people, Pixar would only be 18 years old. That's probably why they seem so young.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
let mw first say im all for a star wars land but why would they build a star wars land based on the old movies with the new movies coming out...seems to me they would wait to begin new star wars construction after 2015

But if they wanted to they probably have more then enough information about the new movie right now to start development of a ride based on it.

jt04

let mw first say im all for a star wars land but why would they build a star wars land based on the old movies with the new movies coming out...seems to me they would wait to begin new star wars construction after 2015

This is why I think Star Wars adds in the near term will be modest. Increased retail, restaurant etc. but no major attractions. This land is best built out in phases IMO for the reason you mention.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is why I think Star Wars adds in the near term will be modest. Increased retail, restaurant etc. but no major attractions. This land is best built out in phases IMO for the reason you mention.

Makes sense to base a ride on a new movie, but that doesn't explain why they should wait until 2015 for that.

prberk

I don't know about Carsland not fixing the park because it would fix a part of the park.

I saying that because of the Backlot Tour needed to be replaced by something for a while. Carsland being where Backlot Tour was actually would fix that area of the park. You and I know the Backlot Tour has been a joke for a long time since they shorten it and is one of the things that screwed up the theme of the park.

The Backlot Tour theme is one of a working Studio and DHS hasn't been used as a working studios since the 1990's back when it was Disney MGM Studios.

I still think that they need to go back to being a working studio, especially for television work. They could use the audience. Of course bringing back the "Mickey Mouse Club" with a live studio audience would be a no-brainer; but other shows could work as well. "Family Fued" is filmed at Universal in Florida, and each day the tag about being filmed there is a daily commercial for the park.

And I have always thought that EPCOT would be a perfect place to host a weekly "Discovery" type series, even if a network other than Discovery Channel carried it.

BACK to TOPIC: I do not understand what is fact and what is speculation in this thread. Was a new Star Wars land announced? I am confused, and this long thread makes it hard to figure that out exactly.

In fact, I have come to find this insistence on long, continuous threads (as opposed to new threads when news is signifcantly updated on a project) lately to be a downer. It is not as fun as before to read these forums (especially to peek at work). I am less inclined to go to WDW Magic boards as often, because that style is tedious (to find news) and boring -- and sometimes confusing, like now. Please consider going back to more new threads for actual news. It was more fun and interesting that way.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I still think that they need to go back to being a working studio, especially for television work. They could use the audience. Of course bringing back the "Mickey Mouse Club" with a live studio audience would be a no-brainer; but other shows could work as well. "Family Fued" is filmed at Universal in Florida, and each day the tag about being filmed there is a daily commercial for the park.

And I have always thought that EPCOT would be a perfect place to host a weekly "Discovery" type series, even if a network other than Discovery Channel carried it.

BACK to TOPIC: I do not understand what is fact and what is speculation in this thread. Was a new Star Wars land announced? I am confused, and this long thread makes it hard to figure that out exactly.

In fact, I have come to find this insistence on long, continuous threads (as opposed to new threads when news is signifcantly updated on a project) lately to be a downer. It is not as fun as before to read these forums (especially to peek at work). I am less inclined to go to WDW Magic boards as often, because that style is tedious (to find news) and boring -- and sometimes confusing, like now. Please consider going back to more new threads for actual news. It was more fun and interesting that way.

The only thing official at this point is a quote from Bob Iger in the latest earnings call:

"In addition to the Star Wars feature films that we’ve already talked about, we’re also working on opportunities for television and our parks. It’s still very early in the process. We’ll announce details as these developments evolve."

prberk

The only thing official at this point is a quote from Bob Iger in the latest earnings call:

"In addition to the Star Wars feature films that we’ve already talked about, we’re also working on opportunities for television and our parks. It’s still very early in the process. We’ll announce details as these developments evolve."

Thank you. It seemed like more than that. But now I know. It was hard to separate fact from speculation.

cheezbat

What kills me is that everyone is jumping on the Star Wars land at DHS bandwagon, when Iger hasn't really said ANYTHING solid about Star Wars land coming anywhere.
For all we know, well just get a new meet and greet at Studios...and they'll save the actual Star Wars lands for Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong or something.

jt04

What kills me is that everyone is jumping on the Star Wars land at DHS bandwagon, when Iger hasn't really said ANYTHING solid about Star Wars land coming anywhere.
For all we know, well just get a new meet and greet at Studios...and they'll save the actual Star Wars lands for Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong or something.

I think someone mentioned expanded retail if I am not mistaken. They need to start getting some of that investment back so something is likely.

Pixiedustmaker

Makes sense to base a ride on a new movie, but that doesn't explain why they should wait until 2015 for that.

I'm guessing that well-known locales from the first triology, and even the second, will be in Episode 7, if only to cement the fact that the new Star Wars is still Star Wars. Places like Coruscant and Tatooine are almost iconic, though I never was a big fan of Naboo.

The reason for the questionaires to annual passholders is that it will (and has) stoked fans hopes for a StarWarsland, and also build interest in the films, BUT another motivation is pitting the Anaheim City Council/OCTA against Orlando. Disney desperately wants the street car project to go forward, even if they won't be building a third gate in a couple years (the street car will have a stop at the entrance to the third gate, which is now a parking lot).

The street car project will cost Anaheim a pretty penny, especially with extras such as taking special measures to switch from overhead trolley wires to a buried power transfer system when the car is close to DLR.

Remember how Disney pitted Anaheim against Long Beach? Similar thing happening here. I don't think anyboyd at Disney needs to seriously ask annual passholders if they'd like a new Star Wars land, which of course would also have broad appeal to the general public. It was a calculated PR move.

misterID

Wouldn't they wait to see the respone to the new films before they do any attractions? Not saying they won't start designing things... But this might be later rather than sooner, which makes sense.

Pixiedustmaker

Wouldn't they wait to see the respone to the new films before they do any attractions? Not saying they won't start designing things... But this might be later rather than sooner, which makes sense.

Even if the Episode 7 barely makes back its cash at the box office . . . Star Wars is still a cash cow given all of the merchandizing, which will make Disney many more billions than they ever could at the box office. Even if Episode 7 was somehow universally panned (though I'm pretty sure hordes will turn out to see it), Disney bought a whole universe of characters, and the stand-alone films could be even more popular and there will be an Episode 8 as fans would never forgive Disney if they gave up at Episode 7.

jt04

Even if the Episode 7 barely makes back its cash at the box office . . . Star Wars is still a cash cow given all of the merchandizing, which will make Disney many more billions than they ever could at the box office. Even if Episode 7 was somehow universally panned (though I'm pretty sure hordes will turn out to see it), Disney bought a whole universe of characters, and the stand-alone films could be even more popular and there will be an Episode 8 as fans would never forgive Disney if they gave up at Episode 7.

Another trilogy is assured. And the new episodes have something the prequels didn't. At least one or two of the original human stars. Ideally all three of the main actors. Add Kathleen Kennedy and JJ and others and it is truly an event. The anticipation will exceed that of Episode I which was considerable. And it will likely copy the distribution model of The Avengers. It will be a global event and break all records.

Bookmark it.

And it will be named "Episode VII" not Episode 7. :)

lebeau

Another trilogy is assured. And the new episodes have something the prequels didn't. At least one or two of the original human stars. Ideally all three of the main actors. Add Kathleen Kennedy and JJ and others and it is truly an event. The anticipation will exceed that of Episode I which was considerable. And it will likely copy the distribution model of The Avengers. It will be a global event and break all records.

Bookmark it.

And it will be named "Episode VII" not Episode 7. :)

The anticipation will not exceed that of Episode I. Audiences had waited patiently for over a decade. Expectations will never be that high again.

Don't get me wrong, the movie will be an event. It will be hotly anticipated. But not like Episode I was.

jt04

The anticipation will not exceed that of Episode I. Audiences had waited patiently for over a decade. Expectations will never be that high again.

Don't get me wrong, the movie will be an event. It will be hotly anticipated. But not like Episode I was.

It will if they get the original stars and the buzz is that what made the original trilogy great is recaptured. They have lined up the talent behind the cameras to reproduce that.

I contend the anticipation will be what would have been seen if the Beatles had ever reunited. (For lack of any other suitable comparison). It will be massive. Just my gut feeling. Fortunately we only have to wait two more years to find out.

The Duck

I just hope that it's better than Episode I. That thing was a convoluted mess with nice special effects.

lebeau

It will if they get the original stars and the buzz is that what made the original trilogy great is recaptured. They have lined up the talent behind the cameras to reproduce that.

I contend the anticipation will be what would have been seen if the Beatles had ever reunited. (For lack of any other suitable comparison). It will be massive. Just my gut feeling. Fortunately we only have to wait two more years to find out.

No. If the Beatles had reuinited, it would have been historic. Star Wars 7 can't hope to come close to the level of buzz a Beatles reunion would have generated. Almost nothing ever could.

Getting the original stars back will generate about as much buzz as having Harrrison Ford play Indy again. On the one hand, nostalgia. On the other, aren't they too old?

Also, I think you're over-estimating the "talent behind the camera". Abrams is kind of a hack. His Star Trek movies are fun but oh so dumb. (My review of Star Trek 2 Fast 2 Furious, er I mean Into Darkness here.)

Star Wars 7 will be big. Avengers big. But not Beatles big. Not cultural phenomenon big. Not pre-release of Episode I big. It's going to be huge summer movie big. Sell lots of toys and make Disney lots of money big. It's as close to a sure fire global hit as you're going to find. But at the end of the day, it's just going to be another big budget summer movie.

Yeah, we'll find out exactly where it lands in 2 years. If people love it, it may even topple Avatar. But the 7th movie in the series can't hope to generate the same excitement of the original films or the long-awaited return of the franchise with Episode I. At this point, it's just another Star Wars movie.

I just hope that it's better than Episode I. That thing was a convoluted mess with nice special effects.

Amen.

I'd say there is no bigger Star Wars fan than me. But there's some pretty huge Star Wars fans here. So I won't commit to that. I'll just say that Star Wars was formative to me. (Here's the story of my first experience with Star Wars.)

When Episode I came out, I was excited as anyone. We had waited so long. I had given up hope of ever seeing new Star Wars movies. And then, here it was. The dream realized. New Star Wars. Only it sucked. And then with Attack of the Clones we were promised it would be better. Only it wasn't. even with less Jar Jar, it was still terrible. Finally with Revenge of the Sith, slight improvement. But the prequels as a whole are just an utter disappointment.

I'm still a Star Wars fan. But those prequels can't help but take the wind out of your sails. I have faith the new films will be better because how can they not be? But based on Abrams' two Star Trek films, they can't be all that great either. At best, I expect slick empty-headed entertainment with more nostalgia than is healthy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom