Star Wars Land vs Wizarding World

Marc Levin

So requiring guests to buy a $200 toy to be part of much of the fun in a whole land, with 2 rides one of which is low capacity, is a good idea?

No. Each kid gets given a light-sabre for the duration of the show. It doesn't cost anything to sign up for or participate in. It's completely free.

They don't even mention the "build your own light-sabre" shop, it's a separate thing.

Zé_Carioca

This is only my opinion but I visited recently and have to say I love both and as I anticipated it is because they are so different, I still stand that SWGE is more interactive. I am a proud diehard HP fan, read and re-read all the books, watched the movies, dragged my family around iconic locations during a trip to London, cried upon entering Hogsmeade for the first time etc. for Star Wars, I am a casual fan, I watched all the movies 1-2 times and enjoy the stories enough to go watch the newest releases but that is about it.

Did SWGE make me cry like Hogsmeade did? No, but it did make my friend cry when we got to the Falcon. To me it didn't pull my heartstrings like Hogsmeade did in the "wow, I am "home"' feeling but I was filled with excitement and wonder walking around. I did get a little bit of that nostalgia feeling when I was inside the falcon, getting to see THE chess table and get in the cockpit. I rode it 3 times and have to say that it is sad that your experience depends on the CM, the first time I felt rushed, I barely stepped foot on the falcon and the CM was already calling my group to board, I did not get to explore. The second time, the CM told us to take our time looking around, but not too much, and to meet him when we were ready to ride. Also, being a pilot is way more exciting than the other positions and it will be sad when guests wait hours to ride/ can only go once and do not get the same experience since positions are not chosen (unless you switch with your group).

I would not compare SWGE to Hogsmeade, it felt much more like Diagon Alley, as in, there are less rides but the best part is walking around and being immersed. I was honestly completely immersed, more than I have ever been at a park, I stayed there for 7+ hours only in Galaxy's edge and I left wishing I had more time to take it all in. Plus, leaving the lad was such a shock to me because I had forgotten where I was, it felt weird to walk back to Grand Avenue and not be in Batuu.

I did not build the saber but still felt like I could "choose a side", so I do not know if I agree with the statement that guests have to pay to feel immersed. I was wearing regular clothes but with resistance colors and was approached by CMs to help them with a mission and Troopers stopped us to intimidate us, later in the day Rey even approached us and interacted. That is what was magical to me, the characters roam and interact, they are not in a meet and greet location just for photos. Do I wish the entertainment would have been kicked up a notch and not cut? Having some droids etc... yes. And I do not know how the characters will roam when the land is packed, that remains to be seen. It also remains to be seen if CMs will continue to be super into it, or if they are going above and beyond because it is novel and exciting.

Just saw the pics of the quick service Docking Bay at SWGE. Inside does not look like a place I would want to eat, kinda dark and like eating in a garage, but the outside is intriguing, though those counters to sit at are odd that there is no seating on each side. Instead there is some sort of tree in the middle? What happens if your food falls over there? Desserts look really good but man, 13.25 for "Gold Leader Lager" is really ridiculous.

I ate there and did not think it was dark at all, yes it is themed to a docking bay or a garage of sorts but its pretty well themed and comfortable, imo. I will say that the outside part looked nicer, there is a really cute patio but I wanted the AC. Everyone said their food was delicious and I am happy to have a good veggie meal at DHS (garden spread).

FOP in Pandora is possibly the best ride in Orlando, but once I ride it I would rather be walking around the Asian section of the park than stay in Pandora. Again I gotta see SWGE myself, but it puts itself behind off the bat by not having Mos Eisley Cantina, didnt we all dream of having a drink at the bar listening to an alien band rock out.

I just wanted to add that I feel the same way about Pandora, I do not roam around there a lot, but I did not want to leave Batuu. Also, yes it is not THE cantina but at Oga's Rex plays the iconic cantina song as part of his set and gives them a shoutout and I thought that was cool.

This is all my personal opinion, I am sure some will like it and some wont, but I was pleasantly surprised!

Edit to add: Adding to the immersion, supposedly the play app will store your data and based on the missions you choose withe the app you will either be classified as resistance, smuggler etc. the SWGE version of the play app was not yet available when I visited so idk how well it holds true.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
No. Each kid gets given a light-sabre for the duration of the show. For free.
Oh, so we are talking about all of Hollywood Studios, here I thought this was a comparison of SWGE and Harry Potter. Because by my count there is only one free thing to do in SWGE. You can't even get into the light saber shop, and if we want to include the stage show that is nowhere near this land, if your a big kid at heart you are out of luck after you turn 13

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
This is only my opinion but I visited recently and have to say I love both and as I anticipated it is because they are so different, I still stand that SWGE is more interactive. I am a proud diehard HP fan, read and re-read all the books, watched the movies, dragged my family around iconic locations during a trip to London, cried upon entering Hogsmeade for the first time etc. for Star Wars, I am a casual fan, I watched all the movies 1-2 times and enjoy the stories enough to go watch the newest releases but that is about it.

Did SWGE make me cry like Hogsmeade did? No, but it did make my friend cry when we got to the Falcon. To me it didn't pull my heartstrings like Hogsmeade did in the "wow, I am "home"' feeling but I was filled with excitement and wonder walking around. I did get a little bit of that nostalgia feeling when I was inside the falcon, getting to see THE chess table and get in the cockpit. I rode it 3 times and have to say that it is sad that your experience depends on the CM, the first time I felt rushed, I barely stepped foot on the falcon and the CM was already calling my group to board, I did not get to explore. The second time, the CM told us to take our time looking around, but not too much, and to meet him when we were ready to ride. Also, being a pilot is way more exciting than the other positions and it will be sad when guests wait hours to ride/ can only go once and do not get the same experience since positions are not chosen (unless you switch with your group).

I would not compare SWGE to Hogsmeade, it felt much more like Diagon Alley, as in, there are less rides but the best part is walking around and being immersed. I was honestly completely immersed, more than I have ever been at a park, I stayed there for 7+ hours only in Galaxy's edge and I left wishing I had more time to take it all in. Plus, leaving the lad was such a shock to me because I had forgotten where I was, it felt weird to walk back to Grand Avenue and not be in Batuu.

I did not build the saber but still felt like I could "choose a side", so I do not know if I agree with the statement that guests have to pay to feel immersed. I was wearing regular clothes but with resistance colors and was approached by CMs to help them with a mission and Troopers stopped us to intimidate us, later in the day Rey even approached us and interacted. That is what was magical to me, the characters roam and interact, they are not in a meet and greet location just for photos. Do I wish the entertainment would have been kicked up a notch and not cut? Having some droids etc... yes. And I do not know how the characters will roam when the land is packed, that remains to be seen. It also remains to be seen if CMs will continue to be super into it, or if they are going above and beyond because it is novel and exciting.

I ate there and did not think it was dark at all, yes it is themed to a docking bay or a garage of sorts but its pretty well themed and comfortable, imo. I will say that the outside part looked nicer, there is a really cute patio but I wanted the AC. Everyone said their food was delicious and I am happy to have a good veggie meal at DHS (garden spread).

I just wanted to add that I feel the same way about Pandora, I do not roam around there a lot, but I did not want to leave Batuu. Also, yes it is not THE cantina but at Oga's Rex plays the iconic cantina song as part of his set and gives them a shoutout and I thought that was cool.

This is all my personal opinion, I am sure some will like it and some wont, but I was pleasantly surprised!
This is great to hear! Again, I hope it's awesome when I get there, I almost feel like if they took the name "Star Wars" out of this land our expectations could be different and our minds more open to what it can be.

Kingoglow

The Wizarding World keeps growing and getting better with each new addition. I don't see Galaxy's Edge growing like Potter has,

Meh. That's your opinion. A lot of people say that Potter is quickly fading out. Fantastic Beasts is not doing anything for the franchise. The kids are not picking up the old books so there is no new audience; only a bunch of 30 year olds that like to LARP it out at the parks.
/shrug

General Mayhem

Meh. That's your opinion. A lot of people say that Potter is quickly fading out. Fantastic Beasts is not doing anything for the franchise. The kids are not picking up the old books so there is no new audience; only a bunch of 30 year olds that like to LARP it out at the parks.
/shrug
I was obviously talking about the theme park areas but ok.

General Mayhem

What's in there specifically for "die-hard fans" only? Like most people I've seen most of the movies and read some of the books a long time ago, but have no desire to do so again. Hardly a fan, let alone a "die-hard" one. Given that, I was genuinely impressed by the attention to detail and immersion in Wizarding World, they did an absolutely outstanding job of it.

Maybe if I was really into the franchise I'd have got even more out of it, but I was happy enough with the experience as it was.

And that's without buying a $55+tax "interactive wand" (lol). The way they did merchandising puts some of Disney to shame.
Well considering the fact that both lands are designed specifically after the most popular and beloved areas and characters of the franchise. Not to mention both Hogsmeade and Diagon are filled to the brim with references and easter eggs that only potter fans would know (Celestina herself for instance is in extremely tiny detail from the books expanded into an entire show). It's still wildly accessible to the average guest, but it was designed with diehard fans in mind first.

CP_alum08

I think Disney simply waited too long to build anything substantial with Star Wars. Because of the timing SWGE will always appear like a reaction to HP instead of building first to be proactive. Whether it’s “better” or not is almost irrelevant in my mind - if you aren’t first, you’re last!

UNCgolf

/shrug

That's definitely not true -- I have nephews who are 13 and 10, and an 11 year old niece. All three of them LOVE the Harry Potter books, have read all seven, and so have all their friends. It's gaining new fans regularly. They do not care about Fantastic Beasts, though.

JusticeDisney

Can you quote these other people please? Because I'm not seeing people laughing or carrying on.
Yeah, that doesn’t surprise me. You can’t even acknowledge how much backpedaling you have done. It really is pathetic. I mean, just man up and admit you were wrong. You might actually gain an ounce of respect around here. In the meantime, the laughter at your expense will continue.

Joesixtoe

They already have that in Hollywood Studios.

It's called "Jedi Training", and literally makes kids feel like a Jedi for half an hour, including letting them fight Darth Vader with a light sabre one on one, and is actually free to sign-up for.

It's been going for decades.
You mean the one with Darth Vader and Kylo Ren together, when Darth Vader is supposed to be dead?? That's not canon, and thus takes you out of the immersion!! Haha see GE could have had O.T and Prequel characters and people would have thought it was cool.... not really pointing at you, just making a statement

Benjamin_Nicholas

For me, the bottom line with any major expansion is seeing how complete and detailed they theme it.

Golden Oak previews didn't allow for personal photos. While the land was beautiful and enveloping in ways that Pandora is, it still doesn't feel as 'magical' as HP at Uni. That wasn't a deal-breaker to me and it's only my personal opinion. I still felt like I was in a Disney park and I don't get that feeling with Wizarding World, at all.

As a serious 'Disney family,' we're already bought into it lock, stock and barrel. We love the mouse. That said, I feel like Disney didn't go all out with this expansion.

thomas998

While I think that Star Wars Land will be very popular, I still think it will fall short of the Wizarding World at Uni, if for no other reason it is not grounded in any place related to the movies. The WW shops and restaurants as well as the streets all tie directly to the Harry Potter movies and provides an instant connection with the place. Not sure SWL is gonna be able to replicate that feeling. It's just the advantage the Harry Potter movies give it by being mainly centered around a few locals throughout 6 movies vs. Star Wars which is all over the place.
It was an advantage for it too in why it tops Pandora IMO, Pandora is great looking but I dont go craving to try any Pandorian food or buy Pandorian things..in fact restaurants and shops make no sense there in the context of the movie, it isn't organic.
WW wins because it has more attractions connected to the franchise... SWL is to focused on the visuals of the land and selling plastic lightsabers. Now if SWL were to create 4 or 5 high level attractions to go with the land it might have a chance, but Disney dosen't seem to be willing to spend the money. Which makes sense it a weird way. Universal was an afterthought in Orlando and went all out for WW to pull in the visitors... Disney already has visitors and appears to be content to just throw together some new paint on the old house to hope for the best. In the short term Disney isn't going to lose visitors because of SWL's lack of real umph...but longer term the newness factor is going to wear off faster and it will stop being as big a draw sooner than later.

Marc Levin

Oh, so we are talking about all of Hollywood Studios, here I thought this was a comparison of SWGE and Harry Potter. Because by my count there is only one free thing to do in SWGE. You can't even get into the light saber shop, and if we want to include the stage show that is nowhere near this land, if your a big kid at heart you are out of luck after you turn 13

The bit you quoted that I replied to was specifically that "Disney very much needs something that makes kids feel like they can join the Resistance or be a Jedi [for free]"

All I pointed out was that they already have that.

Marc Levin

You mean the one with Darth Vader and Kylo Ren together, when Darth Vader is supposed to be dead?? That's not canon, and thus takes you out of the immersion!! Haha see GE could have had O.T and Prequel characters and people would have thought it was cool.... not really pointing at you, just making a statement

It's a "facing your fears" thing, so the idea is that those characters are just force visions. Also the kids doing it probably don't care too much about canon.

In general they seem to be trying to distance themselves from the prequel trilogy, so I'm not surprised it's not a focus of the show.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
You're changing the terms of the argument. The bit you quoted that I replied to was specifically that "Disney very much needs something that makes kids feel like they can join the Resistance or be a Jedi [for free]"

All I pointed out was that they already have that.

I don't see how needing to walk a few steps to get there from SWGE is a big deal. It's right next to Star Tours.
Nope they are two separate things. If they aren't why aren't we including Star Tours in this discussion, which maybe we should. Simple fact, in DL you have 14 acres of space and 3 current "attractions" 2 of which require you to drop one or two Benjamins to experience. The point may be moot though since a poster went and was able to join the character missions despite not having a saber....

OG Runner

Because SWGE comes across as a half-assed cash grab.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but WWoHP & SWGE are both an attempt at a cash grab. Neither Universal or Disney
are doing any of these things just for your entertainment. They are looking to get as much money as possible out
of any and all of the customers that come into the parks.

BoarderPhreak

Sorry to burst your bubble, but WWoHP & SWGE are both an attempt at a cash grab. Neither Universal or Disney
are doing any of these things just for your entertainment. They are looking to get as much money as possible out
of any and all of the customers that come into the parks.
Of course they are. But I've no bubble to burst, as I've never been to WWoHP or Universal for that matter. Just calling SWGE as I see it. 🤷‍♂️

JusticeDisney

Of course they are. But I've no bubble to burst, as I've never been to WWoHP or Universal for that matter. Just calling SWGE as I see it. 🤷‍♂️
Totally disagree with you. SWGE cost a ton of money and time to develop and build. It also has an attraction that has been reported to be unlike anything we’ve seen to date. Add to that, a specialty hotel is coming. You might be less than impressed with the final outcome, and that is certainly your prerogative. But it’s a hardly a cash grab. A cash grab is something done cheap and lazy with the hopes of merely sucking money away from people. You know, like Toy Story Land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom