Star Wars Land vs Wizarding World

General Mayhem

Right over your head.

Anyway, you make a great point. They should have just opened it before it was ready and then have it constantly break down and never know when it would open for the day or close for the night. That would have been a much better strategy. šŸ˜‚
Talk smack all you want but Hagrid's has been pulling in bigger numbers than GE has this summer.

JusticeDisney

Talk smack all you want but Hagrid's has been pulling in bigger numbers than GE has this summer.
First off, stating facts isnā€™t talking smack.

Second, SWL hasnā€™t even opened yet in WDW so your numbers comparison is completely irrelevant here. If you want to go have that debate in a Disneyland forum, have at it.

Third, you might want to look up the meaning of the phrase ā€œapples to oranges.ā€ You comparing Hagrid to Smugglers Run would be like me comparing Expedition Everest to Fast and Furious.

Oh, and for the record, Hagrid is an absolutely phenomenal ride IMO. Iā€™m just gonna wait for RotR to actually open before I declare another ride better or worse than it.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
So. Considering the majority of this board hasn't been to SWGE. You state an opinion (and that is all it is). So. It's better why? Because its better to you? Or is there some reference material or generally accepted theme park grading principle as to why a specific ride is "better" than another ride. Or a specific land better than another land?

It's like coming on here saying "Frontierland Rules!". "It is far superior to Fantasyland because there are more thrill rides in Frontierland and Pecos Bill's is my favorite QS place." Your argument doesn't hold water because it is completely subjective.

What if I don't like roller-coasters? What if I don't like motion rides? What if the immersive factor of the land is what I'm after? What if - after I go to SWGE - I form my own opinion that I like it better than Potter?

Here is what you miss. Nowhere in your rant did you even reference the hotel. Have you experienced staying at the immersive hotel, then transporting over to SWGE? How did you feel that tied into the experience? What were the experiences you liked and disliked? I'll wait for your answer.

I happen to love Potter. But I'm willing to give SWGE a shot, see it for the first time, see how it evolves, see how the hotel works into the equation. And then see how I (not you) feel about the experience.

Fair?
I totally agree it is all subjective. That said, the hotel should not be factored into how good the land is. At its prices it not something the average guest will be able to afford.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I totally agree it is all subjective. That said, the hotel should not be factored into how good the land is. At its prices it not something the average guest will be able to afford.

To me it may be a part of the experience. I do plan to stay there at least once. And depending on the experience - maybe more than once.

Iā€™ll reserve judgement until I actually have been there and can formulate some type of opinion (both on the land and hotel)

FWIW I felt the same way about TSL. And when I went - I was underwhelmed. But that is my own personal view.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
To me it may be a part of the experience. I do plan to stay there at least once. And depending on the experience - maybe more than once.

Iā€™ll reserve judgement until I actually have been there and can formulate some type of opinion (both on the land and hotel)

FWIW I felt the same way about TSL. And when I went - I was underwhelmed. But that is my own personal view.
Totally agree on TSL...I saw Shanghais and thought, well the US is going to put out something much better, then they didn't.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Just saw the pics of the quick service Docking Bay at SWGE. Inside does not look like a place I would want to eat, kinda dark and like eating in a garage, but the outside is intriguing, though those counters to sit at are odd that there is no seating on each side. Instead there is some sort of tree in the middle? What happens if your food falls over there? Desserts look really good but man, 13.25 for "Gold Leader Lager" is really ridiculous.

mergatroid

You get just a small fraction of a credit
since for every 1 would be Hagrid rider rebuffed there are 10 others who ride.

Thanks, I'm sure all those who queued for hours or planned an expensive trip to ride an attraction that was announced as open but wasn't will take solace in your answer. You know, if we're being fair ;)

And by the way, I actually love both Disney and Universal and I'm looking forward to both GE and Hagrids

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

I just love all of these people declaring Harry Potter the clear winner, when Star Wars hasnā€™t even opened yet. Too freaking funny.

OK, let me give it a try too. Animal kingdom blows universal epic universe out of the water. Thereā€™s no comparison between the two. Animal kingdom is the hands-down winner.

šŸ™„

erasure fan1

I just love all of these people declaring Harry Potter the clear winner, when Star Wars hasnā€™t even opened yet. Too freaking funny.

OK, let me give it a try too. Animal kingdom blows universal epic universe out of the water. Thereā€™s no comparison between the two. Animal kingdom is the hands-down winner.

šŸ™„
Except it has opened. We know exactly what it will be. So comparing the two is perfectly legitimate.

HongKongFu

Except it has opened. We know exactly what it will be. So comparing the two is perfectly legitimate.

You don't understand! The X wing will be in the Northeast part of the GE whereas at Disneyland it faces the South entry. And Olga's cantina will have a softer green hue exterior paint scheme compared to its Disneyland counterpart.
No opinions on Wizard World vs Galaxy Edge Dis Studios until we see first hand these monumental differences.
Thanks

JusticeDisney

You don't understand! The X wing will be in the Northeast part of the GE whereas at Disneyland it faces the South entry. And Olga's cantina will have a softer green hue exterior paint scheme compared to its Disneyland counterpart.
No opinions on Wizard World vs Galaxy Edge Dis Studios until we see first hand these monumental differences.
Thanks

Great points. I mean, why would we need the main attraction to be open in order to fairly judge a land? Some people are so nuts to actually want to see the entire land, including the number one attraction, before judging it. Whatā€™s wrong with these people?

erasure fan1

Except the flagship attraction has not opened. We do not know exactly what it will be. So comparing the two is perfectly ridiculous.
Except if you read the original post, you would understand. It's not about who has the better ride. It was about the impact of the land based on the setting. Rise might be the best ride Disney has ever built. But it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people won't have as deep a connection to it because of a made up location. And from that standpoint, Potter has the advantage in my opinion. And that opinion doesn't need rise to be open yet.

JusticeDisney

Except if you read the original post, you would understand. It's not about who has the better ride. It was about the impact of the land based on the setting. Rise might be the best ride Disney has ever built. But it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people won't have as deep a connection to it because of a made up location. And from that standpoint, Potter has the advantage in my opinion. And that opinion doesn't need rise to be open yet.
The bottom line is itā€™s a joke to prejudge something without first actually seeing and experiencing all of it. Maybe someone dislikes the fact that the location is made up, but then loves the flagship ride so much that their opinion as to the better overall land is impacted.

Tom P.

I have not visited either Galaxy's Edge or Wizarding World. So I admit that my perspective is not informed by actual firsthand experience.

However, I feel like Disney made a major mistake in tying the land to the current sequel trilogy so heavily and virtually excluding the original trilogy. About the only connection to the original films is the Millennium Falcon, and I feel like that was most likely included only because it is in the current trilogy as well. It seems like Disney made a very deliberate decision to avoid any connection to the original films, or even the prequel trilogy, and just focus on what they are currently trying to market. Which I guess makes sense from the business standpoint of the film studio, but doesn't really make business sense from a theme park perspective.

The original trilogy is what people have an emotional connection to.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
The bottom line is itā€™s a joke to prejudge something without first actually seeing and experiencing all of it. Maybe someone dislikes the fact that the location is made up, but then loves the flagship ride so much that their opinion as to the better overall land is impacted.
But there has been a lot of people who extolled the virtues and love of Harry Potter World that dont ever ride its main attraction. My wife cant ride it without feeling sick the rest of the day, but absolutely loved the land. SWGE has opened in DL one ride is not changing someones mind about weather they want to be there for hours. FOP in Pandora is possibly the best ride in Orlando, but once I ride it I would rather be walking around the Asian section of the park than stay in Pandora. Again I gotta see SWGE myself, but it puts itself behind off the bat by not having Mos Eisley Cantina, didnt we all dream of having a drink at the bar listening to an alien band rock out.

JusticeDisney

But there has been a lot of people who extolled the virtues and love of Harry Potter World that dont ever ride its main attraction. My wife cant ride it without feeling sick the rest of the day, but absolutely loved the land. SWGE has opened in DL one ride is not changing someones mind about weather they want to be there for hours. FOP in Pandora is possibly the best ride in Orlando, but once I ride it I would rather be walking around the Asian section of the park than stay in Pandora. Again I gotta see SWGE myself, but it puts itself behind off the bat by not having Mos Eisley Cantina, didnt we all dream of having a drink at the bar listening to an alien band rock out.
Iā€™m not arguing that RotR will 100% make someone like SWL mor than Harry Potter. I am simply pointing out how foolish it is to judge a new land without the entirety of it being opened. Maybe RofR would have no impact on someone. Then again, maybe RotR would be so incredible to someone else that it in and of itself would make that person like SWL better than Harry Potter.

JusticeDisney

And when you say that one ride isnā€™t going to change somebodyā€™s mind about whether they want to spend hours at that area of the park, you simply do not know that. In fact, I know plenty of people who determine where in a park they want to spend all of their time based solely on where their favorite rides are.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Iā€™m not arguing that RotR will 100% make someone like SWL mor than Harry Potter. I am simply pointing out how foolish it is to judge a new land without the entirety of it being opened. Maybe RofR would have no impact on someone. Then again, maybe RotR would be so incredible to someone else that it in and of itself would make that person like SWL better than Harry Potter.
I'm hoping too. I think if they populate it with enough actors with secret missions for the family to do and not make it be about buying a $200 lightsaber to be in on the fun, it could be a great land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom