Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ImperfectPixie

But you didn't address my main point, Potterlands have music - is it your position that because of that they are less "real" and "immersive"? If not, I don't understand your point as I've never heard that complaint about those lands ever. Not once.
Because - as you said above - it feels like walking through an empty movie set. If you read my post above, you'll read about what a real, living marketplace is supposed to feel/sound like. Disney hasn't reached that level of immersion at all yet.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not disputing that. I'm just asking where did Disney officially say they were doing this?
We tend to discuss things way before anything is officially announced.

It’s more fun.

I like your avatar by the way. I’ve a paper bag somewhere just like it. I think it’s got some Christmas decorations in it that we bought at the Village Christmas shop in the 80s :)

Last edited:

Sped2424

Because - as you said above - it feels like walking through an empty movie set. If you read my post above, you'll read about what a real, living marketplace is supposed to feel/sound like. Disney hasn't reached that level of immersion at all yet.
Then it's a good thing that the fix is something that is easily done! Still hoping the purse strings open up a bit and some streetmosphere is thrown in there. Jawas, anything extra could help, maybe captain phasma doing her march etc etc

ImperfectPixie

Then it's a good thing that the fix is something that is easily done! Still hoping the purse strings open up a bit and some streetmosphere is thrown in there. Jawas, anything extra could help, maybe captain phasma doing her march etc etc
The Jawas - especially trading with them - would be a FANTASTIC addition.

EDIT: As long as they are out in the open...not in an enclosed space.

RobWDW1971

Agreed, but I can only judge what they actually built, not our collective vision of what it "could be". Their stated goal was to create an immersive, alive experience and in my opinion they failed on that goal. I've yet to hear anybody make a passionate case that they achieved that goal.

Like everyone else, I hope they realize the poor creative choices they made and then take action to eventually achieve that goal.

I've also not heard anybody make a cohesive argument why the Potterlands are LESS immersive for having music. All I hear is SWGE having music would make them less immersive. That is a disconnect for me..

tallica

I was just at GE in HS yesterday it is gorgeous, but it is void of personality. In my opinion SW longevity is due to John Williams, he is SW to me. GE needs some JW in the background. I played some JW on my headphones while wandering around and it enhanced my experience tenfold especially while looking at the MF.

RobWDW1971

We tend to discuss things way before anything is officially announced.

It’s more fun.

I like your avatar by the way. I’ve a paper bag somewhere just like it. I think it’s got some Christmas decorations in it that we bought at the Village Christmas shop in the 80s :)

All good, that answers my question and appreciate the response. Thanks on the avatar - for some reason it makes me smile when I see it, reminds me of a more colorful, happy WDW marketing time...

ImperfectPixie

Agreed, but I can only judge what they actually built, not our collective vision of what it "could be". Their stated goal was to create an immersive, alive experience and in my opinion they failed on that goal. I've yet to hear anybody make a passionate case that they achieved that goal.

Like everyone else, I hope they realize the poor creative choices they make and then take action to eventually achieve that goal.

I've also not heard anybody make a cohesive argument why the Potterlands are LESS immersive for having music. All I hear is SWGE having music would make them less immersive. That is a disconnect for me..
It definitely needs music. In the real-world marketplace I visited, there was music throughout, but from different sources and it overlapped in some areas. No music makes zero sense to me, too.

MickeyMinnieMom

But you didn't address my main point, Potterlands have music - is it your position that because of that they are less "real" and "immersive"? If not, I don't understand your point as I've never heard that complaint about those lands ever. Not once.

Potterland feels like walking into a MOVIE.
Pandora feels like walking into PANDORA.
Batuu feels like walking around BATUU.

That's the difference to me and I prefer the latter two. Subjective. But I still say Batuu needs more activity (roaming characters, maybe a band occasionally, etc.), and some music maybe entering the land could work IMO.

It definitely needs music. In the real-world marketplace I visited, there was music throughout, but from different sources and it overlapped in some areas. No music makes zero sense to me, too.
I think some of this could work... if it almost feels indistinct and coming out of some of the locations -- but not a movie-like track playing on loudspeakers like some other lands. IMO of course.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

It was really cute when they did this during the dessert parties -- I'd love to see that. But I saw some people being REALLY obnoxious with them -- I'd be a little surprised if they tried it here.
Yep. They would need to be in some kind of spot in a corner or something with a "handler" keeping an eye on behavior and such. It's such a shame that a small number of people who refuse to control themselves ruin things for everyone else.

Mickeyboof

Potterland feels like walking into a MOVIE.
Pandora feels like walking into PANDORA.
Batuu feels like walking around BATUU.

That's the difference to me and I prefer the latter two. Subjective. But I still say Batuu needs more activity (roaming characters, maybe a band occasionally, etc.), and some music maybe entering the land could work IMO.

There is already music entering the land. How did you miss that?

Batuu isn’t real. It’s a theme park land and should be treated as such.

Also, if one more person comes here saying the lack of music in Pandora is immersive™️, I’m going to flip out.

The use of music there is so clever and well done.

There is so much music in Pandora alone, there’s a 12 track 57 minute album dedicated to it.

Stop saying Pandora is real because of the lack of music. It’s real BEACAUSE the music is intertwined with the experience so masterfully, the typical guest doesn’t know it’s happening. But they sure do FEEL it.

Music is about a feeling. It’s a tangible, tactile relationship to the land. Without it, you’ve got a deserted movie set.

ImperfectPixie

Also, Pandora employs nature as an orchestra.

The whimsical creatures singing from the trees and the mountains is musical.

The waterfalls are a splendid music.

GE has no natural elements. No water. It’s dry and barren. It has no natural rhythmic sounds.
From what I've seen on these boards (and the map of Galaxy's Edge) there will be a waterfall in the Rise of the Resistance area...so there's that.

EDIT: I would love to see a fountain though. Or something similar to what I saw in the city the other day - a combo splash area/fountain that was controlled with buttons around the perimeter that were on the sides of stone cubes you could easily sit on without getting wet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom