Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

JohnWD

As per the new Disney park expansion standard...

- Two Rides
- Two Shops
- A bunch of places to eat.

SWGE has 2 shops? There are 3 experiences - Cantina, Android building, Light sabre building; plus multiple shops - First Order cargo bay, Resistance supplies, and multiple vendors in the market place. All of these are part of the immersive experience in BSO.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

- Two Rides
- Two Shops

See also: Pandora
- Two Rides
- One Shop
- Two places to eat.

Toy Story Land
- Two Rides (Toy Story Mania doesn't count since that was open already)
- One place to eat
- and they are apparently building a shop one day.

New Fantasy Land
- Two Rides (Under the Sea, Mine Train Coaster) I don't count story time with Belle as a ride.
- Two places to eat (Be our Guest and Gaston's tavern)
- One shop off of Gaston's tavern.

This is the new standard. Where is the innovation?

With all of the places to eat Disney is slowly becoming a giant food court and an expensive outlet mall.

WDW's Adventureland only had two rides until it was 'plussed' with the carpet spinner. DCA's Cars Land had three, but one had to be quickly killed off and later replaced.

Frontierland only has two rides.

It's a long time practice and one that was followed by Universal with both Wizarding Worlds and Springfield.

Purduevian

I'm still pressed that they changed the DL map for this franchise. Each land was so original, clever, and charming. I understand why they built Galaxy's Edge and where it fits into the brand/theme parks but not physically into DL. It wasn't even Disney's IP until semi recently. Oh well.
AttractionMovieHow old was the IP
Sleeping Beauty Castle (1955)*Sleeping Beauty (1959)-4
Mr. Toads Wild Ride (1955)*The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949)6
Alice in Wonderland (1958)*Alice in Wonderland (1951)7
Peter Pan's Flight (1955)*Peter Pan (1953)2
Mad Tea Party (1955)*Alice in Wonderland (1951)4
Roger Rabit Cartoon Spin (1994)*Roger Rabbit (1988)6
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1999)*Bought the IP in 2001-2
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (1998)Toy Story 2 (1999)-1
Magic Carpets of Aladdin (2001)Aladdin (1992)9
Stitch's Great Escape! (2004)Lilo and Stitch (2002)2
And many more
Disney bought Star Wars ~6.5 years ago in October of 2012. As weird as this sounds here are some things that Disney opened in less time after acquiring or creating as an IP:

*Denotes outside IP bought or used by Disney

danlb_2000

Premium Member

- Two Rides
- Two Shops

See also: Pandora
- Two Rides
- One Shop
- Two places to eat.

Toy Story Land
- Two Rides (Toy Story Mania doesn't count since that was open already)
- One place to eat
- and they are apparently building a shop one day.

New Fantasy Land
- Two Rides (Under the Sea, Mine Train Coaster) I don't count story time with Belle as a ride.
- Two places to eat (Be our Guest and Gaston's tavern)
- One shop off of Gaston's tavern.

This is the new standard. Where is the innovation?

With all of the places to eat Disney is slowly becoming a giant food court and an expensive outlet mall.

You keep saying "new standard", how is this different from the past? When the parks were first build most lands opening with only one or two rides, a place to eat and a shop. Some lands, for example Asia and Africa in AK still don't have more then two rides.

nickys

Premium Member
Those lands had a place to grow. Galaxy's Edge does not. And you are actually comparing parks that were made up to 50 years with a restricted budget to multi-billion dollar Disney today?

Asia and Africa in AK are portions of a MUCH bigger experience in the entire park. Items from Galaxy's Edge can not be experienced anywhere else in Hollywood Studios, the same with Toy Story Land, the same with Pandora in AK.

Now, Had they simply build a Star Wars Land with separate themed areas I can see them starting with a few rides and a few places to eat, and then being able to expand the experience. But they didn't.

There is space for expansion of the Land though.

The huge berm, for example, has enough space for a ride building comparable to the two existing rides. And handily enough, there is access to it between TSL and GE

There is a space already designated for a Table Service restaurant that was axed from the plans for now. That could still be built very easily.

And there are also other possibilities for expansion, should they wish to do so.

I have no idea what you mean by the last two paragraphs. “Items in SW:GE cannot be accessed anywhere else in DHS”, for example? What does that mean? ToT also cannot be experienced elsewhere, nor can any other ride or attraction.

peter11435

Those lands had a place to grow. Galaxy's Edge does not. And you are actually comparing parks that were made up to 50 years with a restricted budget to multi-billion dollar Disney today?

Asia and Africa in AK are portions of a MUCH bigger experience in the entire park. Items from Galaxy's Edge can not be experienced anywhere else in Hollywood Studios, the same with Toy Story Land, the same with Pandora in AK.

Now, Had they simply build a Star Wars Land with separate themed areas I can see them starting with a few rides and a few places to eat, and then being able to expand the experience. But they didn't.
Galaxies edge has room to grow

pdude81

AkCWYb2wLx9wTViC6o6y7eQXBzOra3Fu8ajLAG8Er8A.gif

drod1985

There actually is an expansion pad within the land already, and there are other options for expansion too. They've been covered at length in this very thread.

rsm

8 years is a long time. Besides the already mentioned berm and restaurant sites, 8 years is PLENTY of time to think big. DL 1.0 was built in 1 year. In 8 you could easily move backstage areas, parking garages, purchase land, bridge over roads, etc etc even with a few years for R&D.... the options are pretty limitless with such a long runway. At HS it's even easier.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't have the time to read 909 pages of comments to see what has or has not yet been covered.

Then maybe you should get more educated before going on about what is possible or not?

Funny.. people used to care about credibility before making assertive claims.

You make claims about what makes a land full or not... while ignoring history... and now it's making claims about the current land, when you can't be bothered to get informed first?

What's the pattern here?

Rteetz

I don't have the time to read 909 pages of comments to see what has or has not yet been covered.

But in the current land there is no room to build any more. They have to expand the land to add more. As since you are so fond of reading all of the posts in this thread you must have caught my post about the rumored 2027 expansion of Galaxy's Edge.....but we will see if that actually happens.
There is room. See the big berm? That’s the space for DHS. Disneyland is a little different though.

nickys

Premium Member

But in the current land there is no room to build any more. They have to expand the land to add more. As since you are so fond of reading all of the posts in this thread you must have caught my post about the rumored 2027 expansion of Galaxy's Edge.....but we will see if that actually happens.

And here you are making false claims again, despite being told by several people that there is room to expand! :rolleyes:

drod1985

Seems like you didn't have time to read my reply either. There is already an expansion pad, as I originally stated and others have reiterated multiple times.

drod1985

8 years is a long time. Besides the already mentioned berm and restaurant sites, 8 years is PLENTY of time to think big. DL 1.0 was built in 1 year. In 8 you could easily move backstage areas, parking garages, purchase land, bridge over roads, etc etc even with a few years for R&D.... the options are pretty limitless with such a long runway. At HS it's even easier.

8 years is indeed a long time, but it could go by pretty quickly. For example, at DHS...
  • Mid 2019 - Opening
  • Late 2019 - ROTR Opening
  • 2020 - Park operates with full functionality for the year
  • 2021 - Star Wars Hotel opens, new Smuggler's Run mission becomes available, construction begins on Cantina expansion
  • 2022 - Cantina expansion opens
  • 2023 - Final Smuggler's Run mission becomes available
  • 2024 - Announcement of expansion, some sort of tie-in with the 2024 Star Wars release
  • 2025 - Construction on expansion begins
  • 2026 - More cross promotion/tie-in with 2026 Star Wars release
  • 2027 - Expansion opens
This is obviously just spit-balling, no inside information is informing these dates. But it illustrates that 8 years isn't that long, if the 2027 date is indeed correct.

Roy G. Dis

Pam: Maybe you should wait before you build a Star Wars expansion.
Michael: Um... find out if there's a cheaper, less expensive expansion out there, okay?
Pam: You know, she also said the waiting list is like eight years.
Michael: Eight years?
Pam: Yeah.
Michael: I don't even know if I'll want a Star Wars Land Expansion in eight years.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The land definitely has places grow, there are already areas set aside for added attraction.

My basic point is, somewhere along the line we have gotten unreasonable expectations about how many ride a new land will get. They have almost never built a new land with more then 3 rides. It is not reasonable to expect that they will do this now.

britain

8 years is indeed a long time, but it could go by pretty quickly. For example, at DHS...
  • Mid 2019 - Opening
  • Late 2019 - ROTR Opening
  • 2020 - Park operates with full functionality for the year
  • 2021 - Star Wars Hotel opens, new Smuggler's Run mission becomes available, construction begins on Cantina expansion
  • 2022 - Cantina expansion opens
  • 2023 - Final Smuggler's Run mission becomes available
  • 2024 - Announcement of expansion, some sort of tie-in with the 2024 Star Wars release
  • 2025 - Construction on expansion begins
  • 2026 - More cross promotion/tie-in with 2026 Star Wars release
  • 2027 - Expansion opens
This is obviously just spit-balling, no inside information is informing these dates. But it illustrates that 8 years isn't that long, if the 2027 date is indeed correct.

I agree with your estimations. But 8 years is also long enough for executives to change, economic conditions to change (gas crisis defeats Western River Expedition anyone?), corporate will power to change. All it takes is a few more 'somewhat disappointing' results like Solo to make the corporation panic. I'm sure Ep 9 will be super-successful. But if the 2022-2026 films are not over-the-moon popular, Disney will say to themselves that they've more than given the Star Wars IP its due at the parks, and they will focus expansion on other IPs.

All the planets aligned just right to make Galaxy's Edge happen. I'm sure it won't stagnate, but I doubt we'll ever see it expand as dramatically as it had been born.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom