Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

Id assumed it was staying put in DHS.
'Tis. If they give it a Marvel theme at DL, as is rumored, it doesn't have to affect us. We won't be getting a Marvel ride.

Lest we forget, Star Tours exists in Tokyo and Paris and will stay there. We don't HAVE to lose it just because DL does. We can also keep our Rivers (at least for awhile longer)!

Mike S

Just posted some thoughts in the main lobby thread about the ABC special to keep everyone's expectations in check and will share some here as well.

- The ABC special is NOT focused on SWL. It is about the 60th anniversary of Disneyland and will only dive into SWL when talks about the future of the resort.
- WDW will be mentioned only in passing.
- At best, the name and you will hear confirmation about the attractions the new land will have on offer and more details about the battle/adventure/escape/superdooper E+ and the MF attraction. Likely few pieces of new artwork shown (probably some of the things I was shown a few weeks ago).
- At worst, lots of talking over the current art with innuendo to the types of things the land will feature.

I would set your expectations low and then you will be pleased either way.

You will need to have a bit of faith and patience in WDI in this one. It will be worth the wait and for the first time in a long time, the gloves are off.

This is not 100% full disclosure and transparency time, so don't expect to have all of your SWL questions addressed during the ABC fluff special. SWL is still at least 12 parsecs away. 14 if your in Orlando.
That's really all I'm hoping for.

JediMasterMatt

Why is the location so secretive? Or have they not decided yet (I can't imagine that to be the case)?

My friends at Lucasfilm are more in the loop on Disneyland than DHS because it's the focus first; but, if I had to guess - the recently announced closures at DHS are more focused on keeping costs in check and operationally keeping guests out of a dead end with a pinch of also being able to use the extra space to stage construction equipment and facilities.

Swinging SWL back to that corner of the park would probably look nicer in the long run as the current plan would have all the show buildings facing the entrance/parking garage/lot at DHS; but, then the quandary about Star Tours being isolated exists on both coasts.

dreamscometrue

You will need to have a bit of faith and patience in WDI in this one. It will be worth the wait and for the first time in a long time, the gloves are off.

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I feel a lot better with Bob Weis around. Apparently, based on what I've read on these boards from other reliable members, Bob Chapek is okay too and he wants Parks and Resorts to build 'faster and cheaper'.

roj2323

After having visited Diagon Alley over at USO I really hope the gloves are off. I heard that once WDI walked through Diagon they went back and asked for more money. If they got it we should be in for something truly incredible. Obviously time will tell but I have my fingers crossed.

beachlover4444

I am curious does anyone here know how much is being torn down, or going to be torn down in order to build star wars land and cars/pixar land? I hope they dont try to find a way to rehab existing buildings and force it to fit some project. I for one was disappointed the first time I went to HP world at Universal the Hogwarts new thing was great but they just reused the hippogriff and dueling dragons and shops that were already there, though it was well done having been there before I was like Oh, been here and not alot NEW was added, just old stuff re themed. I heard they are going to use the employee parking lot, indiana jones area, and push that area out for Star Wars Land. That's ok with me. I cant wait for the reveal of the new park name when 1/3 of the park will be Star Wars, 1/3 will be Pixar/Carsland and the rest will be the area of tower of terror/rocknroller coaster. The general "Hollywood Movie" feel will be gone as it seems it will be very specific themed areas now.

roj2323

From all of the information I have collected both with official closures/ announcements and mumblings I've heard from cast in several DHS work areas the blue area below is all of the area that is being redeveloped in park so far. Note: The building in the bottom left is the main communications building for the entire park. It's also rumored to also handle some of Epcot's communications as well so I doubt that building will be on the chopping block but it is possible that area is on the chopping block as well.

confirmed closures .jpg

This is approximately 28.5 acres

Last edited:

phi2134

From all of the information I have collected both with official closures/ announcements and mumblings I've heard from cast in several DHS work areas the blue area below is all of the area that is being redeveloped in park so far. Note: The building in the bottom left is the main communications building for the entire park. It's also rumored to also handle some of Epcot's communications as well so I doubt that building will be on the chopping block but it is possible that area is on the chopping block as well.

View attachment 128318

This is approximately 28.5 acres
That's kind of weird with the Muppets being landlocked between star tours and the rest of the possible swl

Homer fan

That's kind of weird with the Muppets being landlocked between star tours and the rest of the possible swl
Ya, I mean why bother saving the muppets at that point? There are so many other properties they can use in the park if they were to take that area for Star Wars land...I can't imagine anyone looking at that plan and saying its a good idea to keep muppets in that little corner

roj2323

Ya, I mean why bother saving the muppets at that point? There are so many other properties they can use in the park if they were to take that area for Star Wars land...I can't imagine anyone looking at that plan and saying its a good idea to keep muppets in that little corner

While this is true and I really do agree, the thing is we do not know what they have planned yet. The rumor of Star wars land spilling out into the cast parking lot is still ringing loudly in people's ears and for all we know they are blowing out the old Cars meet & greet simply because they need construction access, or for that matter it could be for a project completely unrelated to Star wars land.

Herc11

Maintainence base?

It'll be moving too.

Interesting, I had always assumed that they would want to keep that building in tact, seeing as how it serves as maintenance base for the whole resort. It seems out of the way enough that they could build TSL to the north, Phase 3 to the east, and keep it as part of a reduced back stage area.

britain

Unless... Star Tours won't be a part of Star Wars Land.

Maybe the Florida SWL is going to pretty much be like the CA version after all?

zooey

Unless... Star Tours won't be a part of Star Wars Land.

Maybe the Florida SWL is going to pretty much be like the CA version after all?
Is star tours storyline just too far removed and bizarre to be a part of a focused SWL? Seems they'd have to make major changes to ST to make it work with the concept of SWL. Star Tours is too "have fun don't think too much about it."

J. D.

Is star tours storyline just too far removed and bizarre to be a part of a focused SWL? Seems they'd have to make major changes to ST to make it work with the concept of SWL. Star Tours is too "have fun don't think too much about it."
I'd love for them to update Star Tours for the opening of SWL. Make it look like we're actually departing from the new planet that we're supposed to be on. They could still go to random planets each time but focus on a new story that is cohesive overall and not jumping all around the timeline.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom