Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

BigHero4

Sorry if this was speculated earlier in this thread, but any thoughts on Star Wars land completion? Assuming that would be into 2019 sometime. Maybe in time for Episode IX??

doctornick

Sorry if this was speculated earlier in this thread, but any thoughts on Star Wars land completion? Assuming that would be into 2019 sometime. Maybe in time for Episode IX??

I'm curious about it as well. The scuttlebutt now is for an accelerated timeframe for the DHS makeover, so I'm hoping that the original plans that put Star Wars Land completion in the 2020-21 timeframe may have pushed it up to 2019 or so. There would still be a mysterious "Phase 3" in the LMA/Catastrophe Canyon area to be completed after Star Wars.

misterID

If they are starting construction in 2016, why can't that be realistic? Even Disney can build a new land in 3 years.
Do we know they've already completed research and development yet?

Announced on September 20 2011, the project will see an AVATAR-themed land begin construction at Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2013, with opening expected in 2017. The budget is speculated to be in the region of $500 million.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Announced on September 20 2011, the project will see an AVATAR-themed land begin construction at Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2013, with opening expected in 2017. The budget is speculated to be in the region of $500 million.

No, but we are talking about what is reasonable possible for Disney, and 3 years is reasonably possible.

gonzoWDW

Since I wasn't around these threads in 2011, can someone who was give an idea of what accompanied the Avatar announcement? Was it a similar artist's rendition of the land? Or did it have more or less details provided? It's possible SWL is further along in the development process.

Also, I think I read somewhere that Avatar was purposefully placed on a slow schedule, to coincide with the release of Avatar 2. Of course, that could just be another one of those pixie dust lies I told myself...

doctornick

I don't think we pions know, but it's obviously somewhere significantly far along if they've announced -- 2 months ago -- specific ride concepts as well as land concept art.

Furthermore, Disney has officially stated that construction will begin in 2016. Again, 3 years is a pretty reasonable construction timeline, even for the slow pace of Disney.

I'm not sure what relevance the Avatar timeline has to do with it since that was announced with essentially zero R&D work by WDI. Construction didn't even begin until 2014 (when FOTLK closed).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Since I wasn't around these threads in 2011, can someone who was give an idea of what accompanied the Avatar announcement? Was it a similar artist's rendition of the land? Or did it have more or less details provided? It's possible SWL is further along in the development process.

Also, I think I read somewhere that Avatar was purposefully placed on a slow schedule, to coincide with the release of Avatar 2. Of course, that could just be another one of those pixie dust lies I told myself...

The initial announcement was to announce the partnership with Cameron on theme park attractions with the first would go in AK. No details were given, and no concept art was shown. This was announced much earlier in the development process then normal.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The initial announcement was to announce the partnership with Cameron on theme park attractions with the first would go in AK. No details were given, and no concept art was shown. This was announced much earlier in the development process then normal.

Because you personally leaked it before it was supposed to be shared. Way to spill the beans early. :)

elchippo

They were also dealing with the prickly James Cameron on creative control, so that probably contributed to Avatar's lengthy development.

wdwfan4ver

I dunno...it was a bad joke...because you are always on top of the permits...so you probably leaked out the details of Pandora before Disney was ready to announced it...that is all...
Danlb_2000 didn't leak any details of Panodra at all back in 2011. There wasn't even any permits on Avatar before Disney announced in September of 2011. The people who usually leak information out didn't at the time Disney Announced Avatar. Danlb_2000 didn't even know about it before Disney's announcement.

There was no permits on Avatar in 2012 even and that shows how premature Disney was for announcing Avatar. How do you expect danlb_2000 to know about Avatar going to AK before the 2011 announcement without any permits?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Danlb_2000 didn't leak any details of Panodra at all back in 2011. There wasn't even any permits on Avatar before Disney announced in September of 2011. The people who usually leak information out didn't at the time Disney Announced Avatar. Danlb_2000 didn't even know about it before Disney's announcement.

There was no permits on Avatar in 2012 even and that shows how premature Disney was for announcing Avatar. How do you expect danlb_2000 to know about Avatar going to AK before the 2011 announcement without any permits?

Yep. As I said. It was just a joke. That was bad.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

UpAllNight

Hmmm wandering whether Scott Trowbridge's previous project portfolio offers any hints on what to expect for the rides. Obviously he will want to outdo himself. I'm hoping he's found a way to take Spiderman technology further, and perhaps even mix it up with physical interactive sets. They absolutely can't mess this one up.

misterID

I don't think we pions know, but it's obviously somewhere significantly far along if they've announced -- 2 months ago -- specific ride concepts as well as land concept art.

Furthermore, Disney has officially stated that construction will begin in 2016. Again, 3 years is a pretty reasonable construction timeline, even for the slow pace of Disney.

I'm not sure what relevance the Avatar timeline has to do with it since that was announced with essentially zero R&D work by WDI. Construction didn't even begin until 2014 (when FOTLK closed).
I just got two posts saying we don't know how far R&D is, and I only pointed out that Avatarland was announced before they did anything but pretty concept art, so it wouldn't be anything new. I wouldn't be shocked if the same was for SW. I will be shocked if this thing is ready before 2020.

misterID

They were also dealing with the prickly James Cameron on creative control, so that probably contributed to Avatar's lengthy development.
Obviously he wasn't given Rowling power, Disney refused her demands, and they removed the coaster he really, really wanted. And early on there was word he wasn't real happy with things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom