Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

HauntedMansionFLA

I fixed it... I didn’t finish the thought, giving the kids a bath. Jumanji beat a Star Wars movie in its third week which was amazing. Sony has its sequel opening a week before Star Wars in another box office battle. Clearly Sony loved how Jumanji performed against Last Jedi. That’s what I meant to say... sorry for going way off target.
Main point is the concern Galaxy Edge might be underperforming expectations at DL and will the same apply at Disney World?
WDW will blow DL away with their SW:GE opening. I hope WDW will stop being treated like the red headed step child when outperforms the park out in California.

WDW Pro

WDW will blow DL away with their SW:GE opening. I hope WDW will stop being treated like the red headed step child when outperforms the park out in California.

They're two very different resorts. One is the original Walt-designed park that services the west coast more-or-less. The other was Walt's last big dream, which is now the number one tourist destination in the world. WDW dwarfs DLR in terms of total attendance and profit, but neither is better or worse than the other; they simply have different scopes. If WDW didn't pull in larger numbers with 40 square miles of property, something would be badly wrong. There's no red-headed step child in the Disney Parks as far as management is concerned... well, outside of what a struggle it has been to make Euro Disney profitable.

HauntedMansionFLA

They're two very different resorts. One is the original Walt-designed park that services the west coast more-or-less. The other was Walt's last big dream, which is now the number one tourist destination in the world. WDW dwarfs DLR in terms of total attendance and profit, but neither is better or worse than the other; they simply have different scopes. If WDW didn't pull in larger numbers with 40 square miles of property, something would be badly wrong. There's no red-headed step child in the Disney Parks as far as management is concerned... well, outside of what a struggle it has been to make Euro Disney profitable.
WDW is geared toward tourist with its , I believe, 26 Resort hotels compared to DLR’s three hotels. Corporate Disney will be pleased with the DHS opening.

Darth Snips

There are no missions ready to roll out. Those have to be designed, modeled, textured, lighted, programmed, etc. It looks like things are moving in the direction of a replacement mission being fast tracked.

As for George and JJ, there are things going on right now that you're not yet aware of (well, except that I'm telling you). You don't have to believe me, but just know that you will hear in the future about George being brought back in this year to work extensively on the script, to help with reshoots, and to help in post production, all in an attempt to "fix" the character of Luke Skywalker. This was ordered by Alan Horn. I've got two conjectures on why: 1) I think they legitimately realized they were in deep excrement and needed help to resolve a problem they know they have with their consumers, and 2) if the movie comes out with the big surprise that George Lucas helped write it, then they don't have to take the full brunt of "Disney killed Star Wars" if fans don't like Episode 9.
I can’t comment on the Episode IX info, but it’s been pretty well documented at this point that other missions have been/are being designed for Smuggler's Run.

It was first reported by Making Star Wars in October 2018, who has historically been a very reliable source for various LucasFilm projects:

Then, it was reported again by Entertainment Weekly in one of their exclusives on Galaxy's Edge in November 2018:

Also, WDI pretty much acknowledged that there would be multiple missions all the way back in December 2017 at Galactic Nights. They said that you would face off against a giant monster in “just one of the missions you might find yourself faced with”. They also released this concept art:

CinematicFusion

There are no missions ready to roll out. Those have to be designed, modeled, textured, lighted, programmed, etc. It looks like things are moving in the direction of a replacement mission being fast tracked.

As for George and JJ, there are things going on right now that you're not yet aware of (well, except that I'm telling you). You don't have to believe me, but just know that you will hear in the future about George being brought back in this year to work extensively on the script, to help with reshoots, and to help in post production, all in an attempt to "fix" the character of Luke Skywalker. This was ordered by Alan Horn. I've got two conjectures on why: 1) I think they legitimately realized they were in deep excrement and needed help to resolve a problem they know they have with their consumers, and 2) if the movie comes out with the big surprise that George Lucas helped write it, then they don't have to take the full brunt of "Disney killed Star Wars" if fans don't like Episode 9.
I don’t think they can fix the Skywalker problem the last film created. It’s all just wishful thinking. The movie that can not be named is what it is.
Many on this board love what they did to Skywalker....many on this board hate it.
According to Johnson that’s what he loves to do.
Rian Johnson: “I would be worried if everybody across the board was like ‘yeah, it was a good movie’ it’s much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you who are really really excited about it. Then there are other people who walk out literally saying ‘it’s the worst movie I’ve ever seen.’ Having those two extremes is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.”

He did his job with The movie that can not be named.

Now with the falcon ride... I thought they already had 3 missions ready

Last edited:

TP2000

In the very least, I have also heard that the company is displeased with the response to SWGE and SR in particular.

They should be displeased. I went in late June and the land was mostly empty. I rode Falcon three times that evening, with never more than a 15 minute wait. I found the Falcon ride to be technically impressive but underwhelming from an entertainment perspective, and the land overall to be visually impressive but it felt dead and lifeless and oddly sterile. I have no desire to return until that Resistance ride finally opens.

WDW will blow DL away with their SW:GE opening.

That shouldn't be a problem for TDO.

Star Wars Land and its lone attraction opened at Disneyland in a park that has 45 other rides, 11 of which are big E Tickets (Pirates, Splash, Mansion, Thunder, Indy, Jungle, Small World, Matterhorn, Star Tours, Submarines, Space Mt.), with a second park 100 yards away that has another 20 rides and 5 E Tickets (Soarin', Incredicoaster, Grizzly, Radiator Springs Racers, Guardians).

Star Wars Land and its lone attraction will open at DHS in a park that only has six other operating rides, only 3 of which are E Tickets (Tower, RnRR, Star Tours).

If TDO can't create big crowds and long lines in that sparse entertainment environment at DHS, something is really wrong with them.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

The reason The Great Movie Ride closed is because the contract ended allowing for use of the non-Disney movies in the ride. There was an internal debate about replacing the non-Disney scenes with scenes of classic Disney movies, but two things caused that to be tossed out. 1) Pretty much all of the modern day animatronic experts would be / are working on RotR, and 2) the ongoing cost of having cast members acting for each vehicle was deemed inefficient.
Nope.

Expansion is definitely not stalled... it's ongoing with a 1.1 billion dollar investment. I do know that beyond a new Toy Story restaurant, the next goal that has been looked at is connecting Animation Courtyard (along with a spruce up) with Sunset Boulevard via the backstage area behind the sunset market restaurants. This will also open up a new expansion pad, but I don't think there are any plans yet for what might go there. That would be years down the road.
This has been suggested by others on here, but not as green lit fact.

New Toy Story restaurant... possibly converting Pizza Rizzo (again) to a new concept - I've heard "The Swedish Chef" which would loosely be based on the Muppets, would require minimal changes, but would have the menu switched to pick-your-pasta, pick-your-protein, pick-your-sauce system. There are plans to update Rock'n Roller Coaster within the next 4 years. Besides that, I don't know of much planned.
Is it 1994 already?

RSoxNo1

In the very least, I have also heard that the company is displeased with the response to SWGE and SR in particular.
I don't need to have a face to face with Bob Iger to know that Disney isn't happy with the results of SWGE. There's some beautiful art direction there but the middling response to Smugglers Run specifically combined with the lack of crowds is absolutely a problem.

RSoxNo1

I can’t comment on the Episode IX info, but it’s been pretty well documented at this point that other missions have been/are being designed for Smuggler's Run.

It was first reported by Making Star Wars in October 2018, who has historically been a very reliable source for various LucasFilm projects:

Then, it was reported again by Entertainment Weekly in one of their exclusives on Galaxy's Edge in November 2018:

Also, WDI pretty much acknowledged that there would be multiple missions all the way back in December 2017 at Galactic Nights. They said that you would face off against a giant monster in “just one of the missions you might find yourself faced with”. They also released this concept art:
View attachment 387970
A point here, it would be far from unprecedented if they shelve the extra missions. At this point I think it's perfectly reasonable to refer to them as the "Alleged extra missions"

Doubling down on more Solo / Last Jedi exclusive content is short sighted. This shouldn't be that tough, make a trip through the Kessel Run and be done with it.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
A point here, it would be far from unprecedented if they shelves the extra missions. At this point I think it's perfectly reasonable to refer to them as the "Alleged extra missions"

Doubling down on more Solo / Last Jedi exclusive content is short sighted. This shouldn't be that tough, make a trip through the Kessel Run and be done with it.
I don't think it's the specific era content that matters - although I really want a Kessel Run mission - but rather that they need to make the non-pilot positions much more engaging.

General consensus seems to be that the ride is awesome and a true E - if you're the pilot. The issue is the other two positions, and that's a solvable problem, I think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom