Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

erasure fan1

Not that I don’t believe you but we have no idea what their planning in the next 10 years. Unless you work at Disney how are you sure that expansion is stalled at the park ???
Well no one really knows for sure, even the "insiders". But if history tells us anything, with what's been done and whats in the works right now, they are done for a while. I can easily see nothing major happening for 6 or 7 years.

WDW Pro

No, what I mean is there is no reason it couldn't have stayed open. I don't care how much work it needed. The studios is grossly lacking rides. To each their own, but updating the ride with new movies, wouldn't have been that tough. They spent 70bil on fox and that could have been a great showcase for some of those properties that would never be used otherwise. You are right, there is no reason I will accept because there is no reason that's isn't moronic.

The reason The Great Movie Ride closed is because the contract ended allowing for use of the non-Disney movies in the ride. There was an internal debate about replacing the non-Disney scenes with scenes of classic Disney movies, but two things caused that to be tossed out. 1) Pretty much all of the modern day animatronic experts would be / are working on RotR, and 2) the ongoing cost of having cast members acting for each vehicle was deemed inefficient.

Not that I don’t believe you but we have no idea what their planning in the next 10 years. Unless you work at Disney how are you sure that expansion is stalled at the park ???

Expansion is definitely not stalled... it's ongoing with a 1.1 billion dollar investment. I do know that beyond a new Toy Story restaurant, the next goal that has been looked at is connecting Animation Courtyard (along with a spruce up) with Sunset Boulevard via the backstage area behind the sunset market restaurants. This will also open up a new expansion pad, but I don't think there are any plans yet for what might go there. That would be years down the road.

Well no one really knows for sure, even the "insiders". But if history tells us anything, with what's been done and whats in the works right now, they are done for a while. I can easily see nothing major happening for 6 or 7 years.

New Toy Story restaurant... possibly converting Pizza Rizzo (again) to a new concept - I've heard "The Swedish Chef" which would loosely be based on the Muppets, would require minimal changes, but would have the menu switched to pick-your-pasta, pick-your-protein, pick-your-sauce system. There are plans to update Rock'n Roller Coaster within the next 4 years. Besides that, I don't know of much planned.

Last edited:

WDW Pro

Any changes going into Sunset or Animation Courtyard AFAYK?

I know Phil Holmes has had preliminary discussions in the past about giving the courtyard its own "identity" through exterior theme modifications. I don't think those will be very extensive. As for Sunset, the only big thing is them connecting Animation Courtyard to Sunset Boulevard with a parallel pathway that may also connect to the Rock'n Roller Coaster promenade. This was part of various proposals for alleviating congestion within the park due to increased capacity... it will be especially important in the late afternoons as the larger crowd sizes migrate towards Fantasmic. I would think, though, that with the Disneyland situation outside of the holiday week, they might wait at TDO to see how crowds change at DHS after SW:GE is fully opened. It will still happen either way, but that would fluctuate it between happening in the next 1-2 years versus the next 3-5 years.

WDW Pro

Alright, today I've got some good news to share!

This one goes squarely in the rumor mill until there is public confirmation of some kind, but I have it from a trustworthy source that Steve Goddard, who is considered a WDI rock star, is not pleased with the outcome of Smuggler's Run. Having come off of Radiator Springs prior to the MFSR assignment, Goddard has some company capital built up and may be successful in pushing what would be called 2.0 in the next year or two depending on the game development time. The current ride game "level" was developed in conjunction with The Last Jedi and Solo, and there is a current effort to get development going quickly to create a brighter, more interactive, more intuitive experience that is more appealing to Star Wars fans of all types. Those two films were both gritty and dark, and strongly influenced the current version of MFSR. This new "level" was described as a replacement, not an additional mission/level. Apparently the post-ride surveys they did with some guests were not up to the level desired, the reviews were not as desired, and even Bob Iger's response is said to have been "tepid". The best news I've got on this is that Lucasfilm will have little to no input as to the "enhancement", which was originally one of the major downfalls for this ride (the whole storyline for the ride is a dud... my opinion on that one). Let's all cross our fingers that George Lucas is brought in to consult on the next version, just as he's been brought in to work extensively on Episode 9 in the past few months to make story changes and consult on post-production. Up until this year, he's basically been shut out of Star Wars except to bring him in for PR and marketing.

If this comes to fruition, it will be a very good sign for the franchise and for the park expansions going forward. It would mean that despite the project being over budget, Disney is still willing to put more money and time into getting it right.

britain

Alright, today I've got some good news to share!

This one goes squarely in the rumor mill until there is public confirmation of some kind, but I have it from a trustworthy source that Steve Goddard, who is considered a WDI rock star, is not pleased with the outcome of Smuggler's Run. Having come off of Radiator Springs prior to the MFSR assignment, Goddard has some company capital built up and may be successful in pushing what would be called 2.0 in the next year or two depending on the game development time. The current ride game "level" was developed in conjunction with The Last Jedi and Solo, and there is a current effort to get development going quickly to create a brighter, more interactive, more intuitive experience that is more appealing to Star Wars fans of all types. Those two films were both gritty and dark, and strongly influenced the current version of MFSR. This new "level" was described as a replacement, not an additional mission/level. Apparently the post-ride surveys they did with some guests were not up to the level desired, the reviews were not as desired, and even Bob Iger's response is said to have been "tepid". The best news I've got on this is that Lucasfilm will have little to no input as to the "enhancement", which was originally one of the major downfalls for this ride (the whole storyline for the ride is a dud... my opinion on that one). Let's all cross our fingers that George Lucas is brought in to consult on the next version, just as he's been brought in to work extensively on Episode 9 in the past few months to make story changes and consult on post-production. Up until this year, he's basically been shut out of Star Wars except to bring him in for PR and marketing.

If this comes to fruition, it will be a very good sign for the franchise and for the park expansions going forward. It would mean that despite the project being over budget, Disney is still willing to put more money and time into getting it right.

If true, then that is one of the upsides for simulators. You can't just say, "Well, the concrete is all done. Maybe we'll do a better job when we clone it in a different country."

drod1985

George and JJ had one meeting... And now suddenly he’s working extensively on TROS story and helping oversee post production? 🙄 Take that crap to the TROS thread in the animation and movies forum.

Now working on additional Falcon missions? That I can believe. (Credible) Leaks and intel we’ve gotten thus far points to other missions being ready to roll out at Disney’s whim.

WDW Pro

George and JJ had one meeting... And now suddenly he’s working extensively on TROS story and helping oversee post production? 🙄 Take that crap to the TROS thread in the animation and movies forum.

Now working on additional Falcon missions? That I can believe. (Credible) Leaks and intel we’ve gotten thus far points to other missions being ready to roll out at Disney’s whim.

There are no missions ready to roll out. Those have to be designed, modeled, textured, lighted, programmed, etc. It looks like things are moving in the direction of a replacement mission being fast tracked.

As for George and JJ, there are things going on right now that you're not yet aware of (well, except that I'm telling you). You don't have to believe me, but just know that you will hear in the future about George being brought back in this year to work extensively on the script, to help with reshoots, and to help in post production, all in an attempt to "fix" the character of Luke Skywalker. This was ordered by Alan Horn. I've got two conjectures on why: 1) I think they legitimately realized they were in deep excrement and needed help to resolve a problem they know they have with their consumers, and 2) if the movie comes out with the big surprise that George Lucas helped write it, then they don't have to take the full brunt of "Disney killed Star Wars" if fans don't like Episode 9.

CinematicFusion

Strange crowds haven’t been that big according to reports from USA Today...
“Crowds have been lighter than anticipated since Galaxy’s Edge opened to all visitors on June 24.”
Will the same happen at Disney World?
Reasons for this?
1. Only one ride opening and people are waiting for the main attraction?
2. Raising ticket prices?
3. Backlash/ fans tired of Star Wars? Last Jedi got beat by Jumanji in its third week of release. (amazing for a Star Wars movie) and Solo tanked at box office (who would have thought that could happen) after huge opening from Force Awakens.
4. People assumed crowds would be huge so they waited?
5. Price of the lands attractions are expensive? Build your saber costs $200.00

Will be interesting to see what happens at WDW.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

There are no missions ready to roll out. Those have to be designed, modeled, textured, lighted, programmed, etc. It looks like things are moving in the direction of a replacement mission being fast tracked.

As for George and JJ, there are things going on right now that you're not yet aware of (well, except that I'm telling you). You don't have to believe me, but just know that you will hear in the future about George being brought back in this year to work extensively on the script, to help with reshoots, and to help in post production, all in an attempt to "fix" the character of Luke Skywalker. This was ordered by Alan Horn. I've got two conjectures on why: 1) I think they legitimately realized they were in deep excrement and needed help to resolve a problem they know they have with their consumers, and 2) if the movie comes out with the big surprise that George Lucas helped write it, then they don't have to take the full brunt of "Disney killed Star Wars" if fans don't like Episode 9.
I am wildly skeptical of this. There is a very, very vocal but not particularly large section of the internet that took TLJ as a sort of personal insult, and this sounds a great deal like the kind of wishful thinking that emanates from those quarters. TLJ developed Luke in daring and interesting ways, but anything other then Luke swinging in, buff and shirtless, and dispatching a million-strong army of enemies with a flick of his 14-bladed lightsaber would have been perceived as “ruining the character” by this contingent.

In any case, the reception of SR certainly hasn’t been negative - it’s been mostly positive, but a bit more measured then Disney would have liked. I haven’t heard a single complaint that the ride’s storyline being too dark - the complaints I see would not be fixed by a new film but pertain to the structure and basic conception of the ride.

Casper Gutman

“Crowds have been lighter than anticipated since Galaxy’s Edge opened to all visitors on June 24.”
Reasons for this?
3. Backlash/ fans tired of Star Wars? Last Jedi got beat by Jumanji (amazing) and Solo tanked at box office (who would have thought that could happen) after huge opening from Force Awakens.

In no way, shape, or form did Jumanji beat Last Jedi. Jedi made far more both domestically and internationally and was number 1 at the box office the weekend Jumanji opened.

durangojim

Reasons for this?
3. Backlash/ fans tired of Star Wars? Last Jedi got beat by Jumanji (amazing) and Solo tanked at box office (who would have thought that could happen) after huge opening from Force Awakens.

[/QUOTE
Reasons for this?

how did last Jedi get beat by Jumanji? According to box office mojo it wasn’t even close

CinematicFusion

how did last Jedi get beat by Jumanji? According to box office mojo it wasn’t even close
I didn’t finish my thought... my fault. Giving the girls a bath. I meant to say it beat Star Wars in its third week which was amazing. Went back and edited it. Gave the producers enough confidence to release the next Jumanji against Star Wars again (they open one week before).... that used to never happen.
Main point is the concern Galaxy Edge might be underperforming expectations at DL and will the same apply at Disney World?

Last edited:

WDW Pro

I am wildly skeptical of this. There is a very, very vocal but not particularly large section of the internet that took TLJ as a sort of personal insult, and this sounds a great deal like the kind of wishful thinking that emanates from those quarters. TLJ developed Luke in daring and interesting ways, but anything other then Luke swinging in, buff and shirtless, and dispatching a million-strong army of enemies with a flick of his 14-bladed lightsaber would have been perceived as “ruining the character” by this contingent.

In any case, the reception of SR certainly hasn’t been negative - it’s been mostly positive, but a bit more measured then Disney would have liked. I haven’t heard a single complaint that the ride’s storyline being too dark - the complaints I see would not be fixed by a new film but pertain to the structure and basic conception of the ride.

You can hold these positions, but internally Disney is not. Also, it's not the "storyline" being too dark... its the visuals themselves.

CinematicFusion

In no way, shape, or form did Jumanji beat Last Jedi. Jedi made far more both domestically and internationally and was number 1 at the box office the weekend Jumanji opened.
I fixed it... I didn’t finish the thought, giving the kids a bath. Jumanji beat a Star Wars movie in its third week which was amazing. Sony has its sequel opening a week before Star Wars in another box office battle. Clearly Sony loved how Jumanji performed against Last Jedi. That’s what I meant to say... sorry for going way off target.
Main point is the concern Galaxy Edge might be underperforming expectations at DL and will the same apply at Disney World?

Casper Gutman

I didn’t finish my thought... my fault. Giving the girls a bath. I meant to say it beat Star Wars in its third week which was amazing. Went back and edited it. Gave the producers enough confidence to release the next Jumanji against Star Wars again (they open one week before).... that used to never happen.
TLJ lost the number one spot on its 18th day of release. It was replaced by a very well-reviewed blockbuster action-comedy starring two of the biggest stars in pop cinema. TFA lost first place on the 22nd day of release to Revenant, an extremely dark and violent, largely wordless R-rated Oscar bait film. This doesn’t strike me as a huge indictment of TLJ.

To go back even further, Sith lost number one on day 9 (and was number 3 by day 16). Clones fell to 2 on day 16, two days earlier then TLJ.

CinematicFusion

Disagree with you view on Last Jedi... your idea for Luke sounds terrible. Amazing that since that film Star Wars has been struggling some with the older fan base.
Maybe the older fan base wanted something more with the OT in regards to Galaxy’s Edge.
Time will tell.... interesting to see how it does at Disney World.
I’m sure the smaller then anticipated crowds are a result of the main attraction not being open.

CinematicFusion

The shirtless Luke thing does sound awful... that was my point.
So was Johnson’s vision of Skywalker in Last Jedi. I’m one of the very tiny small minority who strongly dislikes that movie and it was enough to not go to Solo. It was like a bad break up... it was to soon to go back. Again, just me... no one else did that.

I enjoyed Galaxy’s edge but something seems off about it. I’m assuming it’s because the main ride wasn't open. Falcon was never supposed to be the headliner... though it’s a cool ride. People come for rides, not shops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom