Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

gerarar

Premium Member
I’m most worried that the DHS version isn’t going to be designed for that park so it’s going to be the DL version that is better. I’m worried I’ll be seeing TSL from DHS version. Worried it won’t be as immersive.
The only time you'll be higher then ground level is in the queue for SR. But DHS could always do something like this to hide certain things that the trees won't hide from afar.

TP2000

Likely raised to believe the world gives you a trophy just for existing.

Exactly. I just read that Falcon ride review on Micechat, and the CM's fun comments really seemed to insult him.

For those unfamiliar with SoCal Internet culture, that person who runs Micechat is also a Club 33 member and is used to gliding around the park with his unlimited Club 33 Fastpasses, drinking in the private Club 33 speakeasy in DCA and dining at Club 33 in Disneyland, before he goes on to his roped off Club 33 seating sections for parades, fireworks and water shows in both parks. He's often spotted with a gaggle of Internet chums and various hangers-on, geeking out over the "famous" website owner and Club 33 member who deigned it appropriate to be their friend.

He is used to CM's offering him chilled (or warmed, depending on season) cucumber scented towels and his favorite cocktail as he enters Club 33. So for some cheeky ride operator to say “Left pilot, you’re going to owe us money after flying like that.” is just too much for a snowflake like that to deal with. He's clearly unable to laugh at himself.

For the other 99% of the paying customers, that type of interaction is going to be all part of the fun. Laugh at yourself! You flew the freaking Millenium Falcon, but you aren't as good at it as Chewbacca. That's funny, not insulting! :D

Last edited:

TJJohn12

They should be the same.

Why does this question keep coming up like every 5-6 pages of this conversation? Why is there this weird universal assumption that DHS is getting a sub-par version? Literally the only thing different between the two will be the missing middle exit. EVERYTHING else is an exact square footage clone as far as our insiders have said from day one.

doctornick

Why does this question keep coming up like every 5-6 pages of this conversation? Why is there this weird universal assumption that DHS is getting a sub-par version? Literally the only thing different between the two will be the missing middle exit. EVERYTHING else is an exact square footage clone as far as our insiders have said from day one.

Square footage, yes, but the shapes are a bit different between the two. But it's not that DHS is smaller, only more wide but less long which makes the pathways a bit different.

The shops and rides and everything though are the same between the two.

Question re: DL - is there is a designated expansion area for that park? I feel like it has been indicated that there is and I presume it would be to the east and north of MF:SR but it seems the existing structures really block access to there. Anyone in the know who can comment?

Bleed0range

Sure but they’re not going to be exactly the same. For one, it was designed with DL in mind. The sight lines are obviously excellent in DL but we know how easy it is to see SWL from Toy Story land. It’s got one less entrance at DHS and they didn’t elect to build some kind of tunnel or something to help with the transition from TSL to GE. The paint job seems to be slightly different too.

So with enough of those differences, it gives me pause about which will be better or if they’ll be exactly the same. But I’m leaning towards the DL version being the slightly better experience. Possibly. We’ll see.

Once DHS has the hotel that will add something to it for sure.

TP2000

The Disney Parks Blog has said a few times that no reservations will be required at DHS at this time. They’re likely waiting to assess the successes (or failures) of DL’s reservation system.

We're discussing this over in the Disneyland forum, but it would seem to apply here as we try to determine how DHS will manage demand for Star Wars Land with only the Falcon opening on August 29th.

This afternoon, an early summer Saturday at 4:00 pm Pacific Time where it is currently mostly cloudy with a temp of 68 degrees, here are the wait times from the Disneyland App for the 17 various E Ticket attractions across both Disneyland and DCA. The numbers tell the story here; DCA is moderately busy and Disneyland is not busy at all.

Radiator Springs Racers - 120 Minutes
Soarin' Over California (first day back!) - 30 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain - 30 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy - 25 Minutes
Incredicoaster - 20 Minutes
Star Tours - 20 Minutes
Matterhorn Bobsleds - 20 Minutes (just reopened from an hour long temporary closure)
Millenium Falcon Smuggler's Run - 15 Minutes
Indiana Jones Adventure - 15 Minutes
Big Thunder Mountain - 10 Minutes
Haunted Mansion - 10 Minutes
Submarine Voyage - 10 Minutes
Pirates of the Caribbean - 5 Minutes
Jungle Cruise - 5 Minutes
It's A Small World - 5 Minutes
Grizzly River Run - 5 Minutes
Splash Mountain - 5 Minutes

Those are just the E Ticket rides, the various C and D Ticket dark rides and spinners have waits of 5 to 10 minutes. For instance, The Little Mermaid ride at DCA is 5 Minutes, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Snow Whites Scary Adventures, and Monsters Inc. dark rides are 5 Minutes, the Canoes have a 5 Minute wait, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Dumbo, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Roger Rabbit, and Autopia are 10 Minutes, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Luigi's Roadsters and Goofy's Sky School are 10 Minutes, Golden Zephyr, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Silly Symphony Swings are 5 Minutes, etc., etc.

So how does this same scenario play out at DHS three months from now??? Anyone wanna bet two churros on an outcome?

Last edited:

choco choco

For those unfamiliar with SoCal Internet culture, that person who runs Micechat is also a Club 33 member and is used to gliding around the park with his unlimited Club 33 Fastpasses, drinking in the private Club 33 speakeasy in DCA and dining at Club 33 in Disneyland, before he goes on to his roped off Club 33 seating sections for parades, fireworks and water shows in both parks. He's often spotted with a gaggle of Internet chums and various hangers-on, geeking out over the "famous" website owner and Club 33 member who deigned it appropriate to be their friend.

Where the heck does he get the money? Can't be that lucrative running a Disney website, and I get the feeling he does it full time.

bclane

We're discussing this over in the Disneyland forum, but it would seem to apply here as we try to determine how DHS will manage demand for Star Wars Land with only the Falcon opening on August 29th.

This afternoon, an early summer Saturday at 4:00 pm Pacific Time where it is currently mostly cloudy with a temp of 68 degrees, here are the wait times from the Disneyland App for the 17 various E Ticket attractions across both Disneyland and DCA. The numbers tell the story here; DCA is moderately busy and Disneyland is not busy at all.

Radiator Springs Racers - 120 Minutes
Soarin' Over California (first day back!) - 30 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain - 30 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy - 25 Minutes
Incredicoaster - 20 Minutes
Star Tours - 20 Minutes
Matterhorn Bobsleds - 20 Minutes (just reopened from an hour long temporary closure)
Millenium Falcon Smuggler's Run - 15 Minutes
Indiana Jones Adventure - 15 Minutes
Big Thunder Mountain - 10 Minutes
Haunted Mansion - 10 Minutes
Submarine Voyage - 10 Minutes
Pirates of the Caribbean - 5 Minutes
Jungle Cruise - 5 Minutes
It's A Small World - 5 Minutes
Grizzly River Run - 5 Minutes
Splash Mountain - 5 Minutes

Those are just the E Ticket rides, the various C and D Ticket dark rides and spinners have waits of 5 to 10 minutes. For instance, The Little Mermaid ride at DCA is 5 Minutes, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Snow Whites Scary Adventures, and Monsters Inc. dark rides are 5 Minutes, the Canoes have a 5 Minute wait, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Dumbo, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Roger Rabbit, and Autopia are 10 Minutes, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Luigi's Roadsters and Goofy's Sky School are 10 Minutes, Golden Zephyr, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Silly Symphony Swings are 5 Minutes, etc., etc.

So how does this same scenario play out at DHS three months from now??? Anyone wanna bet two churros on an outcome?
I for one am completely shocked by those wait times. I imagine management is also. Only thing that makes sense to me personally is that people just decided to avoid the resort thinking it would be utter chaos due to SW:GE's grand opening. I mean is Disneyland that light this time of year on a normal day? I still think DHS will be a madhouse though. It's not like people have suddenly started hating Star Wars.

TP2000

I for one am completely shocked by those wait times. I imagine management is also. Only thing that makes sense to me personally is that people just decided to avoid the resort thinking it would be utter chaos due to SW:GE's grand opening. I mean is Disneyland that light this time of year on a normal day? I still think DHS will be a madhouse though. It's not like people have suddenly started hating Star Wars.

Saturdays in summer are always the least crowded day of the week at Disneyland. (Due to all the AP blockouts on summer Saturdays)

Also at work here is that all CM's and Disney employees are entirely blocked out on their employee passes this weekend. With 100,000 employees working for the Walt Disney Company in SoCal, that's a huge chunk of people who would otherwise be there.

But those wait times seem lower than average.

But what a great day to go to Disneyland, especially if you have a Star Wars Land reservation!

Cmdr_Crimson

Now I am curious about the characters within Batuu East as I have seen at Batuu West that Rey, Kylo and Chewie will be making appearences within the land....Who would they put at Launch Bay once it opens? Bring back Vader and leave BB-8 there?

bclane

Saturdays in summer are always the least crowded day of the week at Disneyland. (Due to all the AP blockouts on summer Saturdays)

Also at work here is that all CM's and Disney employees are entirely blocked out on their employee passes this weekend. With 100,000 employees working for the Walt Disney Company in SoCal, that's a huge chunk of people who would otherwise be there.

But those wait times seem lower than average.

But what a great day to go to Disneyland, especially if you have a Star Wars Land reservation!
Definitely a dream of a day to go to Disneyland. Wish I was there! I teared up just watching the dedication video the other night. Can't imagine how amazing it would be to actually be there.

TJJohn12

Square footage, yes, but the shapes are a bit different between the two. But it's not that DHS is smaller, only more wide but less long which makes the pathways a bit different.

The shops and rides and everything though are the same between the two.

I guess I'm not seeing as much difference as you are. I think the *only* place I'm noticing appreciable difference is in the queue area for RotR. Disneyland looks to have a deeper "forest" (with the winding transition from Critter Country you mention) that would have eaten into the Muppet's footprint. But otherwise, the paths look relatively similarly scaled. The one place I see a slight difference is south (north in the case of DHS) of Ronto's Roasters:

Sure but they’re not going to be exactly the same. For one, it was designed with DL in mind. The sight lines are obviously excellent in DL but we know how easy it is to see SWL from Toy Story land. It’s got one less entrance at DHS and they didn’t elect to build some kind of tunnel or something to help with the transition from TSL to GE. The paint job seems to be slightly different too.

So with enough of those differences, it gives me pause about which will be better or if they’ll be exactly the same. But I’m leaning towards the DL version being the slightly better experience. Possibly. We’ll see.

Once DHS has the hotel that will add something to it for sure.

I know this sounds weird, but seeing in doesn't equate to seeing out. What I'm realizing from the YouTube walkthroughs so far is how they've crafted SW:GE as a veritable bowl. When you're down in the street, the walls are close enough and high enough to block out the horizon. SDD is low enough that you can't see the *streets* of SW:GE. We're seeing rooftops and spires, but little of the footpaths. ToT is likely far enough away that from the streets it'll be completely blocked from everywhere.

RSoxNo1

Exactly. I just read that Falcon ride review on Micechat, and the CM's fun comments really seemed to insult him.

He is used to CM's offering him chilled (or warmed, depending on season) cucumber scented towels and his favorite cocktail as he enters Club 33. So for some cheeky ride operator to say “Left pilot, you’re going to owe us money after flying like that.” is just too much for a snowflake like that to deal with. He's clearly unable to laugh at himself.

For the other 99% of the paying customers, that type of interaction is going to be all part of the fun. Laugh at yourself! You flew the freaking Millenium Falcon, but you aren't as good at it as Chewbacca. That's funny, not insulting! :D
That's a bit harsh, but Dusty's article was also a bit much, so it goes both ways.

Darth Snips

So, what’s the word on having walk-around characters like Rey, Chewie, Kylo, and Vi in Batuu at DHS? I know TDO rarely (if ever) allows that kind interaction these days.

On that note, do we think the walk-arounds will even stick around in Disneyland once the reservation period is over? There’s gonna be a lot more people in Black Spire Outpost pretty soon; I wonder if park ops will have to change their game plan?

Do we have any insider info on these kind of ops questions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom