Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

HauntedMansionFLA

Most of episode seven was uninteresting.

Especially for those who saw episode 4 when it first came out. Talk about a predictable rehash.

Rogue One was surprisingly enjoyable mind. IMHO of course. Perhaps 8 will please everyone.
Michael Arndt was going in a different direction than what Abrams brought to the film. Luke had a big role in the film. Han and Leia had supporting roles. Harrison Ford carried the movie which I didn't mind. Im curious to see what Rian brings to episode 8. Originally he was to write 8 and 9.

britain

First off, art is subjective so of course everyone will get something different out of movies, however I have to strongly disagree with the characters being uninterested. The 3 new main characters (Rey, Finn, Kylo) all have traits which are new to the series. Finn is a solider who breaks through his brainwashing to discover courage and the good within him, Rey starts out as a traditional "good guy" but by the end shows some sparks of darkness that may develop later, and Kylo is a whole package of insecurity and untrained power wrapped up in the shadow of his grandfather, thus creating a unpredictable and frankly fantastic new villain. Also all three have developed arcs which pay off through the narrative, unlike Rogue One where the characters are "stock" at best and flat out non existent most of the film.

I totally get the problem that people have with Starkiller Base, yes it is totally another Death Star. For me it was not a deal breaker since the focus of the climax was on the interaction between Han and Kylo which then shifted to Rey and Kylo. Setting up their characters for the next film. At least George Lucas's saying about poetry, how "they all rhyme" is true for all three trilogy's beginnings with a Death Star being destroyed.

I took Starkiller Base to simply be an homage to Return of the Jedi's Death Star 2. OF COURSE there'll be another Death Star. Complaining about another Death Star is a little bit like saying, "Gee another James Bond villain with a secret lair housing a giant super weapon?" There shouldn't be a Death Star in every film, but after going through three prequels, I think it was time to face another one.

(Granted they've kind of done away with that Bond trope with the recent Daniel Craig films. But it was useful enough to keep reusing for a few decades of Bond films.)

bclane

I guess I’m just easily pleased but while I get the criticisms against VII, I was absolutely thrilled that it felt like Star Wars, was incredibly fun, had a awesome new villain, and of course, had the old cast back on the silver screen again. It wasn’t perfect, but it brought me joy and excitement and that’s all that matters to me. In the end it’s just entertainment anyway (ok and 1/2 my childhood...don’t judge me) so I choose to love what’s good and wink at what could be better. Looking forward to all that is yet to come in that galaxy far far away!

NormC

I guess I’m just easily pleased but while I get the criticisms against VII, I was absolutely thrilled that it felt like Star Wars, was incredibly fun, had a awesome new villain, and of course, had the old cast back on the silver screen again. It wasn’t perfect, but it brought me joy and excitement and that’s all that matters to me. In the end it’s just entertainment anyway (ok and 1/2 my childhood...don’t judge me) so I choose to love what’s good and wink at what could be better. Looking forward to all that is yet to come in that galaxy far far away!
Me too. I am a 52 year old Star Wars geek.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This^^^

I have been a Star Wars geek since I first saw it in the theaters in 1977 at the ripe old age of 6. That movie grabbed me and still holds a firm grip 40 years later.

Was Episode 7 fan service? Absolutely.

Regardless of that, I still felt just like the guys from Big Bang Theory at the end.

big-bang-star-wars.jpg

Pixieish

This^^^

I have been a Star Wars geek since I first saw it in the theaters in 1977 at the ripe old age of 6. That movie grabbed me and still holds a firm grip 40 years later.

Regardless of that, I still felt just like the guys from Big Bang Theory at the end.

big-bang-star-wars.jpg
I'll be your #3 - I've been a fan since my dad took me to see RotJ in the theaters when I was a kid, and seeing Ep7 was like Christmas morning as a kid again!

(My husband almost died laughing at me in the theater because when Han and Chewy came on screen, I squealed REALLY loud! :hilarious:

Last edited:

Ellen Ripley

I'll be your #3 - I've been a fan since my dad took me to see RotJ in the theaters when I was a kid, and seeing Ep7 was like Christmas morning as a kid again!

Agreed, I saw Star Wars in '77, am a huge fan, have a vintage and modern action figure collection. I didn't like the prequels, but love The Force Awakens (and Rogue One). I also think the "rehashing of A New Hope" was deliberate and necessary. Here's an interesting article (that I did not write), that helps explain what I mean.

https://clonecorridor.wordpress.com...exalogy-despite-its-script-contains-spoilers/

Pixieish

Agreed, I saw Star Wars in '77, am a huge fan, have a vintage and modern action figure collection. I didn't like the prequels, but love The Force Awakens (and Rogue One). I also think the "rehashing of A New Hope" was deliberate and necessary. Here's an interesting article (that I did not write), that helps explain what I mean.

https://clonecorridor.wordpress.com...exalogy-despite-its-script-contains-spoilers/

I'm wrapping up a degree in English, so I've spent the majority of the last 4 years analyzing movies, literature, etc. and yes - that article hits the nail on the head! Another aspect that many seem to overlook is that Lucasfilm had to figure out a way to link to the original movies, tie up any loose ends and create a starting point for the new episodes and spin-offs. To complicate matters further, when you're working with film, you have to consider the age of characters and actors, whether any replacements are needed, etc. etc. I think they did an amazing job.

Kman101

I guess my bar is low, I found Episode 7 and Rogue One to be good movies. Not really sure what some of you wanted from them. Sure, it was fan service for Episode 7, and a rehash of New Hope, I understand certain criticism, but I don't think any of that made for a 'bad' movie. I guess I had different expectations. I'm not a hardcore fan by any means but I love the franchise and really enjoyed the new movies for what they were. Wonder if some would change their tune had Disney not been behind them.

bclane

This^^^

big-bang-star-wars.jpg
Same here. I was just sitting in the theatre long after the lights were on and the cleaning crew had come in, light sabre in hand and popcorn all over my Jedi robe feeling completely satisfied and like all was right in the world. Plus there was just this sense of relief for me that it wasn't the prequels again (even though I actually find lots to like with them as well...as flawed as they are). Well except that Han was dead and my eyes were still burning from that, but otherwise is was just a fantastically fun experience. After that we got to head over to DHS for the after party which was freaking awesome (that was also the night I got to ride Star Tours with a Leia that was the spitting image of Carrie Fisher). Anyway, I love seeing a new Star Wars film on opening night with a crowd of true fans and I can't believe we are going to get to do this every year for the foreseeable future. :joyfull:

bhg469

I'm definitely one of them.

Bobba Fett's backstory, all for it! --- and am Obi Wan between episode 3 and 4 time gap would be brilliant (and tons of space to bring back Darth maul too and play through that Clone Wars story).
I dont see a boba fett story working. The name of his ship alone is a reason to avoid it because it will cause all sorts of problems with SJWs of the world

FigmentJedi

May I ask what issues you had with the film?
It simultaneously relies on Original Trilogy nostalgia and going "Look at how much better our version of that thing you loved from the old movies is" to such a degree that the Era feels lacking in its own identity.
"Remember how the Death Star could blow up a planet? Ours blows up five planets at once and has lightspeed beams! You know how Luke took three movies of training to get good? Well Rey sped through the basic curriculum in a single movie! Our Yoda's a thousand years old and runs a super-Cantina! And if you liked the evil old man, we got an eviler and older looking man! You guys hated the politics of the prequels right? Well now you have no real context for what's going on and we blow up the New Republic without ever elaborating on it!"

The Last Jedi looks to be mixing some things up, but its starting on an awkward foundation and while it's probably going to be great if they're confident enough in what Johnson has done to give him a spinoff trilogy, it's still gonna have a JJ Abrams movie coming in afterwards.

rd805

It simultaneously relies on Original Trilogy nostalgia and going "Look at how much better our version of that thing you loved from the old movies is" to such a degree that the Era feels lacking in its own identity.
"Remember how the Death Star could blow up a planet? Ours blows up five planets at once and has lightspeed beams! You know how Luke took three movies of training to get good? Well Rey sped through the basic curriculum in a single movie! Our Yoda's a thousand years old and runs a super-Cantina! And if you liked the evil old man, we got an eviler and older looking man! You guys hated the politics of the prequels right? Well now you have no real context for what's going on and we blow up the New Republic without ever elaborating on it!"

The Last Jedi looks to be mixing some things up, but its starting on an awkward foundation and while it's probably going to be great if they're confident enough in what Johnson has done to give him a spinoff trilogy, it's still gonna have a JJ Abrams movie coming in afterwards.

Fair response -- i think it set up the next 2 movies well though. This allows the next 2 to create much more original story-line's IMO.

I do think Rogue One might be my favorite stand alone movie though (besides Return of the Jedi).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I will take issue with this one section of your criticism.

Luke was obviously somewhat of a coddled child. This is evident by him getting his a$$ kicked by a two bit thug the second he walked into a bar. At this point, it would seem that his fighting style centered around curling up in a ball and waiting for the beating to stop.

Rey had to fight to survive as evident by her delivering the a$$ kicking in a 3 on 1 contest on Jaku. Matty Granger said it best "Wander down to the poorest part of whatever town you’re in and pick a fight with a mangy little mutt of a guy. The smaller the better. Once you’re out of the hospital, you’ll realize that people who are forced to survive in the harshest environments don’t train to fight. They learn the hard way and they get really, really good at it."

FigmentJedi

I will take issue with this one section of your criticism.

Luke was obviously somewhat of a coddled child. This is evident by him getting his a$$ kicked by a two bit thug the second he walked into a bar. At this point, it would seem that his fighting style centered around curling up in a ball and waiting for the beating to stop.

Rey had to fight to survive as evident by her delivering the a$$ kicking in a 3 on 1 contest on Jaku. Matty Granger said it best "Wander down to the poorest part of whatever town you’re in and pick a fight with a mangy little mutt of a guy. The smaller the better. Once you’re out of the hospital, you’ll realize that people who are forced to survive in the harshest environments don’t train to fight. They learn the hard way and they get really, really good at it."
Having combat skill through streetfighting is one thing, figuring out Mind Tricks after like 10 minutes into being imprisoned is another. An escape scene could have just as easily played off of her abilities as a junker/mechanic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom